Confirmed: Microsoft pulling an Xbox One-Eighty with Xbone online policies

People are also still missing the fact it still requires you to activate your console online when you get it. That's still DRM.

Oh yeah, still require Kinect too. Oh yeah, can't upgrade the hard drive. Oh yeah, still $100 more expensive.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is missing that, it's just sort of a minor point. It's not like consoles haven't had DRM before, they're basically DRM-platforms.

There goes the sharing:

"The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold," said Xbox division president Don Mattrick. "Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray."

Guys, they are still slipping kinect past you. Don't fall for this. Forced kinect was the plan all along. The $100 doesn't really matter.

Read my posts nobody pays me I'm neutral but there are too many threads full of whiney fanboys here or people that are PC hardcore's and just trolling.

I could give a shit less but they obviously listened to the masses.

I know who the fucking fanboys on here are and I am not one. So don't even try to lump me into that shit.
-sent with a middle finger from my Wii U

I thought you were a "Xbox ambassador"? Or were you just saying that as a joke?

You seem very angry for someone who "could give a shit less" (if that means what I think it does). Though, I'm pretty sure as an Xbox ambassador you aren't supposed to be all angry at people or spread misinformation.

Go on, list all the fan boys who get irate when people don't like their favorite little system? Ill start you off if you like. :p

People are also still missing the fact it still requires you to activate your console online when you get it. That's still DRM.

Oh yeah, still require Kinect too. Oh yeah, still $100 more expensive.

Lmao really you are bitching about a ONE time initial setup connection?

Also comes with the kinect which makes price make more sense.

Why does having a kinect plugged in bother you so much? Making a big deal out of nothing.

Seriously. Get. A. Life.

If they did that , there would be a mass sell off of used Xbox One's. I seriously , SERIOUSLY doubt that they want the clusterfuck of bad PR that they got with this policy in place .. all over again.

If anything they will be doing damage control to repair their image with the consumers they lost over this shit storm.

This is probably the best news of the last 3 months with this crap.

Now I'll buy an Xbox One , day one.

It wouldn't be as bad though. People know Live is a shit service but their friends already had CoD 37 so they kept up with it. Consoles rely on peoples brand loyalty and peoples brand loyalty is based on how much you have invested in that system. This way they can get a bunch of people and slowly latch onto them, then be good for another generation. If they go in all "we going to be screwing you" then they wont have that base seed.

But this isn't good news, they haven't done anything good with this; they've just done one less something terrible. They for a long time said "this is required we much have this otherwise it wont work, are you a developer, no it's required minons!!!", now they speak from the other face. You can't trust people like that. Especially enough to preorder anything.

However, it still is more expensive, still has the spy cam and is the weaker of the two (and next gen games all look kind of bad on both systems).

Seiously. Get. A. Life.

I always hear the stuck-up valley girl accent whenever I see the intense period technique in use. What's missing is the /thread (door-slam)

anyways, nothing personal, I just found it funny :p

Long live Angry Joe for stickin up for the lil guy :cool:

Last edited:

You seem very angry for someone who "could give a shit less" (if that means what I think it does). Though, I'm pretty sure as an Xbox ambassador you aren't supposed to be all angry at people or spread misinformation.

Go on, list all the fan boys who get irate when people don't like their favorite little system? Ill start you off if you like. :p

I am not angry just so sick of every site I go to of reading the rampant whining like children.

Yes i am an Xbox ambassador do you know what that means?

It means that I freely without compensation answer questions for people about Xbox and services if they are having trouble it is similar to the Nintendo support forum which is also community run. I also answer questions there as well. I chime in from time to time on Sony's super forum as well if I can help.

I have never been mean to anyone answering Xbox questions through their program. But this is not that site and I am not required to be so courteous.

I glad you can read a mood that's an awesome ability was it my four letter words?

I am not angry just so sick of every site I go to of reading the rampant whining like children.

Yes i am an Xbox ambassador do you know what that means?

It means that I freely without compensation answer questions for people about Xbox and services if they are having trouble it is similar to the Nintendo support forum which is also community run. I also answer questions there as well. I chime in from time to time on Sony's super forum as well if I can help.

I have never been mean to anyone answering Xbox questions through their program. But this is not that site and I am not required to be so courteous.

I glad you can read a mood that's an awesome ability was it my four letter words?

lol

its a shame they are getting rid of the digital sharing features too tho, i think it would of been a big selling points to leave digital sharing intact if you bought the digital version.

I was really looking forward to the digital sharing. Could have cared less about the used game stuff

Doritos ads
Media apps behind paywall
GDDR3
6 different xbox360 versions to fix red rings

Last edited:
I'm glad they removed the 24-hour check in. I'm honestly surprised some people are mad over the removal of the family sharing or the sharing of digital titles. To me, they could have kept that in place. That removal isn't really necessary because as it stands you cannot share digital titles. Xbox One, and if Valve moves forward with it, would have been the first to allow the sharing of digital titles. Now, it'll be Valve to do this first.

However, I'm happy with this change, but on the other hand it doesn't change my perception of Microsoft as a whole putting corporate policy and game publishers first before consumers.

Family sharing, game library, and games follow your live account are now all gone. You must have the disc.

I still don't see why they can't do that stuff. They could still have you "register" the game to your account, but remove it when you want to sell it. Microsoft is just being a bunch of ass holes because they can.

Well, this is going to make me think my whole stance over. Holy crap.

I'm still going to wait for a number of games to come out before I get a new console, though. Just this time, I may actually have a choice come next holiday season.

Family sharing, game library, and games follow your live account are now all gone. You must have the disc.

I still don't see why they can't do that stuff. They could still have you "register" the game to your account, but remove it when you want to sell it. Microsoft is just being a bunch of ass holes because they can.

Yeah, pretty much. I don't see what would be difficult in keeping that feature AND removing the 24-hour check-in plus offline play for disc-based games at the same time. I'm sure it's not much of a programming change in the code either.

1352501875205.jpg

Have the game registered to your account, allow it to be shared digitally up to 10 people you know on your "family list". There, done. That doesn't seem so hard to do.

Yeah, pretty much. I don't see what would be difficult in keeping that feature AND removing the 24-hour check-in plus offline play for disc-based games at the same time. I'm sure it's not much of a programming change in the code either.

1352501875205.jpg

Have the game registered to your account, allow it to be shared digitally up to 10 people you know on your "family list". There, done. That doesn't seem so hard to do.

Like I keep mentioning: Make it an option to install the game and it registers it to you. As long as it is installed, it can't be played online anywhere else unless it's under your account. Or something. You know, whatever.

MS will survive the next round now. Not from my contribution, however. Damage is done. Trust is lost.
I see Don Mattrick still has his head far up his ass. Not one apology in that press release. Comical and embarrassing all the same.

This whole mess reminds me of an abusive relationship. MS: I'm sorry baby, I won't hurt you no more.

Still don't want the Kinect. That was my main issue with it. DRM second.
It still listens to you, still restrictive to Indie devs, still $100 more, still has less raw processing power. They have more work to do.

It wouldn't be as bad though. People know Live is a shit service but their friends already had CoD 37 so they kept up with it. Consoles rely on peoples brand loyalty and peoples brand loyalty is based on how much you have invested in that system. This way they can get a bunch of people and slowly latch onto them, then be good for another generation. If they go in all "we going to be screwing you" then they wont have that base seed.

But this isn't good news, they haven't done anything good with this; they've just done one less something terrible. They for a long time said "this is required we much have this otherwise it wont work, are you a developer, no it's required minons!!!", now they speak from the other face. You can't trust people like that. Especially enough to preorder anything.

However, it still is more expensive, still has the spy cam and is the weaker of the two (and next gen games all look kind of bad on both systems).

With Microsoft's involvement with the recent NSA scandal I doubt the Kinect will end up being as privacy invading as we first thought. In fact I'm sure at this point MS will go to whatever end it needs to make sure that it won't be an issue. They are already dealing with one very big privacy scandal , I doubt they want another.

And yes , the last few months have "hurt" and won't be "forgotten" but my biggest gripes with the Xbox One was the region locking and used game restrictions. I have quality internet so I wasn't worried as much about the 24 hour connection requirement.

The real thing that makes me happy is that I can play with my friends all over the world in various countries now , without restrictions. This is the biggest and most important policy change in my mind and now that my friends will buy an Xbox one , I will be as well since I really only play console games to play with friends.

However I'm not canceling my PS4 preorder just in case MS pulls some shit before launch. So while I'm excited , I'm not stupid.

With Microsoft's involvement with the recent NSA scandal I doubt the Kinect will end up being as privacy invading as we first thought. In fact I'm sure at this point MS will go to whatever end it needs to make sure that it won't be an issue. They are already dealing with one very big privacy scandal , I doubt they want another.

If they were so concerned, they wouldn't force it to be plugged it unless the game needed it.

If they were so concerned, they wouldn't force it to be plugged it unless the game needed it.

All of the tech giants are scared shitless of being subpoenaed and having to show their cards in court (and there will be a grand jury on this eventually) so yea If MS went a head and decided to ignore the entire mainstream media covering this huge landmark story and just started doing crazy shit like we all thought might happen then they would just have ANOTHER PR scandal to deal with and this press release issued today shows they are not interested in another clusterfuck event.

You have to keep in mind , they've spent millions in R&D doing this whole DRM plan. They've probably programmed tons of code and have it in the testing phase. To suddenly go from that to halting the entire DRM policy after pushing it so hard since the reveal event , is a major change and not something to take lightly.

They could have very well launched with aggressive DRM and just decided to change it later but they know that this bothers enough people that it would effect launch sales and during the most important part of the year for any retailer.

This is only a good thing for us. We should remain careful regardless but this is good news.

This proves that no matter what anyone does people will NEVER be happy. EVER.

I ALMOST feel bad for Microsoft...

This proves that no matter what anyone does people will NEVER be happy. EVER.

I ALMOST feel bad for Microsoft...

dont dangle shit in front of us and then take it away.

first they wanted to innovate with some nice new digital rights features, but completely alienate certain markets.

now they want to completely screw digital rights innovation to get those markets they alienated back.

when it wouldn't be hard to make both groups happy.

Back