Confirmed: Microsoft pulling an Xbox One-Eighty with Xbone online policies

Now MS just needs to fix the Kinect 2 mistake, and lower the price down to $399. It's not like the inferior GPU isn't yet another handicap.

This is a win for consumer rights.

I think MS was going to ride it out despite all the negativity with the gamers, but when Sony was able to walk all over them without having to do anything then the mainstream press started picking up on it, and then with preorders lagging they had to step back and rethink their strategy. They are only doing it because it was going to hurt their wallet.

I am happy about this. It shows that people can make a difference and even the biggest companies need to listen even if they don't want too. I still have negative feelings about the situation but it is mixed with positive and some hope. On the negative side, we've seen MS's hand now and what they want to do and will move too, on the positive it shows that they will bend to consumers. The hope is that they learn from this and when next gen (X2) is coming out their policies are consumer friendly and they don't try and pull some kind of stunts like they did in the past couple of months.

They still have other issues they will have to contend with, but they at least removed 2 major ones. While I can not say I will purchase an X1, I can say there is at least a chance I would purchase one now whereas before there was not a chance of ever owning one. If you are curious my main reasons for not purchasing one are there are not MS exclusives I care about currently, Kinect, *if* Live Gold is still plastered with ads (if it is like it has been, ugh, I don't like paying for a service and getting ads that take up so much space, but that is another topic all together), and being burned on the 360 (RROD). The last one is the easiest to resolve and will find out over time if they turn that around.

This is good though. We need competition and the way it was looking this was going to be a good old fashion slaughter and no one wins when the one on top doesn't have to fight to keep it.

This is a win for consumer rights.

I think MS was going to ride it out despite all the negativity with the gamers, but when Sony was able to walk all over them without having to do anything then the mainstream press started picking up on it, and then with preorders lagging they had to step back and rethink their strategy. They are only doing it because it was going to hurt their wallet.

I am happy about this. It shows that people can make a difference and even the biggest companies need to listen even if they don't want too. I still have negative feelings about the situation but it is mixed with positive and some hope. On the negative side, we've seen MS's hand now and what they want to do and will move too, on the positive it shows that they will bend to consumers. The hope is that they learn from this and when next gen (X2) is coming out their policies are consumer friendly and they don't try and pull some kind of stunts like they did in the past couple of months.

They still have other issues they will have to contend with, but they at least removed 2 major ones. While I can not say I will purchase an X1, I can say there is at least a chance I would purchase one now whereas before there was not a chance of ever owning one. If you are curious my main reasons for not purchasing one are there are not MS exclusives I care about currently, Kinect, *if* Live Gold is still plastered with ads (if it is like it has been, ugh, I don't like paying for a service and getting ads that take up so much space, but that is another topic all together), and being burned on the 360 (RROD). The last one is the easiest to resolve and will find out over time if they turn that around.

This is good though. We need competition and the way it was looking this was going to be a good old fashion slaughter and no one wins when the one on top doesn't have to fight to keep it.

A win for those who prefer physical media and the loss of promising digital distribution features. In the end only Gamestop wins...

Yup, I'm pissed because that was a really cool feature. Not sure why they can't do two different systems for digital and physical.

Yeah, I'm bummed that my friends and I wont be able to share. But it's nice that Redbox will still be an option. I've only recently started getting games from Redbox and it's been great. I can usually find new releases on day one. I can usually beat and return a game for ~$10. Free rental coupons are all over the place too.

A win for those who prefer physical media and the loss of promising digital distribution features. In the end only Gamestop wins...

That's Microsoft screwing you over not the DRM crowd. Keeping that alive would be insanely easy with the suggestion made earlier.

In the end the majority won, Microsoft got owned and you got fucked.

The loss of those features is unfortunate but you have a very tunnel-visioned view of what this actually means over-all. Just in the US alone we don't have the internet infrastructure to support the digital age or to reliably support all the features of either console, much less support the DRM requirements. Then there is the rest of the world. Prior to this the XB1 was ONLY going to be playable in 21 countries. Half of the EU and most of Asia was excluded, including countries with the internet to support it. Gamestop isn't the only one that wins, this is about FAR FAR more than used games.

Yup, I'm pissed because that was a really cool feature. Not sure why they can't do two different systems for digital and physical.

Yeah, it'd be nice if you could share digitally downloaded versions of the game, but the disc versions just worked the way they do now. I'm guessing it wouldn't take long before people would start complaining about how they can't share the disc based versions: "I installed it to my hard drive. It's in a digital format now. Why can't I share it?!"

Meanwhile, Steam will soon get this feature and everybody is going to think it's great, and wonder why they can't do it on their consoles. :rolleyes: :D

The loss of those features is unfortunate but you have a very tunnel-visioned view of what this actually means over-all. Just in the US alone we don't have the internet infrastructure to support the digital age or to reliably support all the features of either console, much less support the DRM requirements. Then there is the rest of the world. Prior to this the XB1 was ONLY going to be playable in 21 countries. Half of the EU and most of Asia was excluded, including countries with the internet to support it. Gamestop isn't the only one that wins, this is about FAR FAR more than used games.

No console has been able to be played in every country at launch. They've always rolled out to other countries over time. Not sure how this is any different.

No console has been able to be played in every country at launch. They've always rolled out to other countries over time. Not sure how this is any different.

Because every other console could be imported and played fine in countries it wasn't launched in? The DRM made it completely impossible to be played outside of the launch countries.

I was really looking forward to the digital sharing. Could have cared less about the used game stuff

If they *really* wanted to be innovative they would have:
  • Allowed a copy of a game to be sold and transferred to new owners an infinite number of times
  • Allowed the current owner of a copy of a game to digitally loan it.
  • Allowed the current owner of a copy of a game to use it on any console, as lon as they play from their account.

... and they would have done that from the get go.

If they *really* wanted to be innovative they would have:
  • Allowed a copy of a game to be sold and transferred to new owners an infinite number of times
  • Allowed the current owner of a copy of a game to digitally loan it.
  • Allowed the current owner of a copy of a game to use it on any console, as lon as they play from their account.

... and they would have done that from the get go.

I know it sounds easy in practice but you got to wonder what kind of holes for piracy it may have caused current gen is full of hacked systems online which ruins allot of the older games that have rampant hacking.

The Dreamcast was easily hacked and games copied that worked out well. She they had other issues but it didn't help. Is why so many still have that machine.

I think for a truly digital system there has to be some safeguards. There has to be some kind of middle ground and maybe some patients from the masses.
But what do I know.

I'm probably in the minority that could give a shit about most of this stuff. You know why I don't like the XBOX 1? Why I haven't pre-ordered one? Because Don Mattress pisses me off every time he opens his mouth, the arrogant, goofy-looking bobblehead bastard. How did EA let him get away?

Most of my meat-head friends are only interested in first person shooters, the genre they apparently didn't know existed until MS released the uber-pedestrian snoozefest called Halo: Combat Evolved (whatever that means). They're not interested in playing much of anything else so I have no plans to lend, give, or trade any games with them.

As for everyone else, well this shitstorm will pass like your political scandal du jour and everyone will gobble up whatever MS is feeding them. At some point, it's going to be all about the GAMES. And I'll be glad when we get to that point because all this nerd rage is exhausting.

Hugs....

I'm probably in the minority that could give a shit about most of this stuff. You know why I don't like the XBOX 1? Why I haven't pre-ordered one? Because Don Mattress pisses me off every time he opens his mouth, the arrogant, goofy-looking bobblehead bastard. How did EA let him get away?

Most of my meat-head friends are only interested in first person shooters, the genre they apparently didn't know existed until MS released the uber-pedestrian snoozefest called Halo: Combat Evolved (whatever that means). They're not interested in playing much of anything else so I have no plans to lend, give, or trade any games with them.

As for everyone else, well this shitstorm will pass like your political scandal du jour and everyone will gobble up whatever MS is feeding them. At some point, it's going to be all about the GAMES. And I'll be glad when we get to that point because all this nerd rage is exhausting.

Hugs....

If you don't care then why waste your time here instead of say the Intel or nvidia or some other non console part of the forum? With no interest in the items of topic then isn't that just trolling? I'm not calling you one but if you don't care then why speak/type?

Because every other console could be imported and played fine in countries it wasn't launched in? The DRM made it completely impossible to be played outside of the launch countries.

Far enough but I'm not sure why they couldn't change that restriction and still keep the digital game sharing. MS is just a mess right now.

If you don't care then why waste your time here instead of say the Intel or nvidia or some other non console part of the forum? With no interest in the items of topic then isn't that just trolling? I'm not calling you one but if you don't care then why speak/type?

Look, dude. If Nintendo would release some games for the Wii U, I wouldn't have to be in here screwing around in these forums.

I upgraded my PC hardware to the specs in my signature about one year ago. There's nothing I need to read in the Intel or Nvidia forums. But I get it...I see your subtle, passive agressive implication that I'm a PC gamer and that I can GTFO of the console group. While I do love gaming on my PC, I'm also loaded for consoles. Because I love GAMES. As I said, it will be nice when all this noise fades away and the focus becomes the games.

Respectfully yours,
E

Look, dude. If Nintendo would release some games for the Wii U, I wouldn't have to be in here screwing around in these forums.

I upgraded my PC hardware to the specs in my signature about one year ago. There's nothing I need to read in the Intel or Nvidia forums. But I get it...I see your subtle, passive agressive implication that I'm a PC gamer and that I can GTFO of the console group. While I do love gaming on my PC, I'm also loaded for consoles. Because I love GAMES. As I said, it will be nice when all this noise fades away and the focus becomes the games.

Respectfully yours,
E
Fare enough I'd like some more Wii U love as well. I picked those names randomly didn't look at your Sig but damn good guess by me. Sorry man I'm just annoyed by all the damn bitching thinking I need to walk away for a bit.

Gutless surrender by MS. If they truly believed their system policies were better, why not explain clearly how its giving me 'thousands in extra value' ?

Digital sharing doesn't need 24hr checks for physical discs. or blocking used games. You can have both. The fact they didn't proves they never had consumer interests in mind.

No offense but to those that are like "WOW IM GETTING ONE NOW OR IN THE FUTURE!!!" but where is your self-respect / integrity? Like have you no dignity?

I would bet anything Microsoft will just as quickly change RIGHT BACK to doing what they have been planning once they have enough people roped in the future. What they did is snakish and greedy and absolutely shameful and its kind of pathetic to see people crawl right back like they're withdrawing from a drug.

Gutless surrender by MS. If they truly believed their system policies were better, why not explain clearly how its giving me 'thousands in extra value' ?

Digital sharing doesn't need 24hr checks for physical discs. or blocking used games. You can have both. The fact they didn't proves they never had consumer interests in mind.

There are several issues at play here. One, I have a feeling that game developers may not have been that fond of the family share thing which now everyone seems to love after it's been removed. Secondly, there were too many people screaming about having the device connected, period. And if you were to have the sharing system and library then you could take the physical disc to an unconnected device and get two for one.

Microsoft didn't handle this well but the problem was that too many people still wanted to be tied to physical media and unconnected devices and Microsoft got that one completely wrong.

I would bet anything Microsoft will just as quickly change RIGHT BACK to doing what they have been planning once they have enough people roped in the future. What they did is snakish and greedy and absolutely shameful and its kind of pathetic to see people crawl right back like they're withdrawing from a drug.

But now there are plenty of people bitching about having the family share feature removed.

Gotta love the logic.

"DRM is evil! Never buying an Xbox One!"

<MS removes DRM>

"MS only removed DRM for the money! Never buying an Xbox One!"

If they include DRM, it's a blatant cash grab. If they take the DRM out, it's a blatant cash grab....

Now all the people that weren't going to buy it have the feature they so desperately wanted. And they're still not going to buy it.

Gotta love the logic.

"DRM is evil! Never buying an Xbox One!"

<MS removes DRM>

"MS only removed DRM for the money! Never buying an Xbox One!"

If they include DRM, it's a blatant cash grab. If they take the DRM out, it's a blatant cash grab....

More like Microshaft already showed who they were upfront and people didn't like it, they saw the Ratio of their sales VS PS4 so now they need to soften the blow and put on a front for some damage control. I expect a fully operational DRM 24 hour phone home anti-used games BOX in a matter of a couple years. They wanted to play the "ME TOO!" game when they saw what Sony was about.

I don't believe this shit for a second. There is nothing to stop them from implementing all of this stuff again 6 months after all of the suckers pre-order it.

There are several issues at play here. One, I have a feeling that game developers may not have been that fond of the family share thing which now everyone seems to love after it's been removed. Secondly, there were too many people screaming about having the device connected, period. And if you were to have the sharing system and library then you could take the physical disc to an unconnected device and get two for one.

Microsoft didn't handle this well but the problem was that too many people still wanted to be tied to physical media and unconnected devices and Microsoft got that one completely wrong.

I think it is more people wanted a choice.

If I buy a disc it should work like a physical product. If I buy digitally, it should work like a digital product.

They could have introduced the same things like family share, digital lending, and digital sales on digital games. It would give people a reason to buy digitally over the physical disc. If they had offered both, people would have been saying Sony better offer this with their digital games rather than running to Sony for not changing anything.

It also would have been a way to test the digital platform while working out what people want to make the switch. They could have also tried different scenarios this way. Are people more accepting if they can gift a "used" digital game with or without the ability to give it back? Or if they feel the person should be able to sell/trade it possibly at a reduced value and lower resale value since transfers have been used up.

I definitely agree they didn't handle it well. They could have done so much launching with basic additions to their digital platform instead of throwing it out there without details while throwing away what works for consumers.

They could have introduced the same things like family share, digital lending, and digital sales on digital games. It would give people a reason to buy digitally over the physical disc. If they had offered both, people would have been saying Sony better offer this with their digital games rather than running to Sony for not changing anything.

But the problem is that you can't have both physical and digital distribution and totally disconnected systems. And big part of this backlash steamed from having to connect the Xbone at all and as long as there is lots of resistance to that there's going to be problems with Microsoft's original approach.

Those angry that the family plan is gone, don't blame everyone that was against the X1's policies, blame MS. They could still have the family plan if they wanted, it would be easy to put in still. Just make it so it only works on digitally bought games and anyone that wants to play one of the games on the family plan has to connect to the internet to verify they can play it.

This solution really would be best. People that didn't care about the DRM/used game thing would get the family plan and have to connect online to verify they can play the game while everyone else can stay offline and/or buy discs still.

Those angry that the family plan is gone, don't blame everyone that was against the X1's policies, blame MS. They could still have the family plan if they wanted, it would be easy to put in still. Just make it so it only works on digitally bought games and anyone that wants to play one of the games on the family plan has to connect to the internet to verify they can play it.

This solution really would be best. People that didn't care about the DRM/used game thing would get the family plan and have to connect online to verify they can play the game while everyone else can stay offline and/or buy discs still.

While probably true, I have a feeling the family plan stuff might have been from the publishers. They very well could have said, "OK, if you guys take away the used game market, we'll allow up to 10 people to share a pool of games provided two users can't use the same license simultaneously."

This whole DRM removal thing has me questioning what system I am going to get now. I know a lot of my college buddies (the usual people I'd play console games with) were going with XBone regardless of the DRM because they just didn't care and love their 360's. On the other hand, PS4 has more under the hood and costs $100 less. I'm not a very big tin-foil hat guy, so the Kinect thing doesn't really bother me much. Bah, decisions.

But the problem is that you can't have both physical and digital distribution and totally disconnected systems. And big part of this backlash steamed from having to connect the Xbone at all and as long as there is lots of resistance to that there's going to be problems with Microsoft's original approach.

They're still doing digital distribution, and owners will have to be connected at some point to take advantage of it. So there's no reason whatsoever that MS couldn't keep all the goodies people liked while getting rid of the requirement for being online every day. They said they'e giving us the best of both worlds but not really.

This whole DRM removal thing has me questioning what system I am going to get now. I know a lot of my college buddies (the usual people I'd play console games with) were going with XBone regardless of the DRM because they just didn't care and love their 360's. On the other hand, PS4 has more under the hood and costs $100 less. I'm not a very big tin-foil hat guy, so the Kinect thing doesn't really bother me much. Bah, decisions.

Considering they can't even say that they wont revert back to the policies makes me uneasy still.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/19/xbox-one-drm-policy-changes-waited-on-gamers-knowing-complete-story/

Finally, Whitten could not give any reassurance that Microsoft will not change its policies in the future.

While I understand they can't comment on future policies and don't know what the future will bring. They really could have said something that would give you a bit more confidence as well, especially with TOS being allowed to change at will.

It just gives an uneasy feeling with all that has happened, you know?

oh but see that is where you are wrong, you can have digital distribution, and physical and have the digital only version get all of the sharing benifits and STILL play the game offline without fear of you personally having to log in and not play your games that you purchased.

all they have to do is make it so if you dont log in once every 24 hours it would disable your shared library, not your own library. once you finally log back in your shared library is once again available to your family and friends for 24 hours from the last time you connected. if your friends or family want to use your shared library then they need to be connected to the internet at all times to make sure its not being shared with someone else at the same time. keep in mind this system is only for digital sales, Physical media would be just the way they are now.

MS is being stupid about it and disabling it on a console level instead of disabling it in the all power full cloud.

oh but see that is where you are wrong, you can have digital distribution, and physical and have the digital only version get all of the sharing benifits and STILL play the game offline without fear of you personally having to log in and not play your games that you purchased.

all they have to do is make it so if you dont log in once every 24 hours it would disable your shared library, not your own library. once you finally log back in your shared library is once again available to your family and friends for 24 hours from the last time you connected. if your friends or family want to use your shared library then they need to be connected to the internet at all times to make sure its not being shared with someone else at the same time. keep in mind this system is only for digital sales, Physical media would be just the way they are now.

MS is being stupid about it and disabling it on a console level instead of disabling it in the all power full cloud.

Why disable after any time period at all? You have to log in to change who can access your shared library, so just let the system update its permissions when you change it. If you remove Bob, then next time he logs in to play your library, he'll automatically be denied.

I find it interesting everyone is "there goes digital sharing". Did I miss something or do you mean the The family plan? MS never revealed the whole picture on this. Suppose each person on the family plan was tied to one Credit Card account, would you share with your friends then?

You can’t really believe MS would allow you to just toss a game around for pretty much free and no limitations. Since MS seems to dodge the details at every turn I’m sure they had something in place to prevent that from happening.

I agree, there are a lot of people who seem a bit too optimistic about what that sharing feature could have been. Unless they explicitly said publisher participation was mandatory in said scheme, I couldn't even begin to assign value to it. Too many asterisks and outs in the language I saw (''Can change at any time'').

Back