Confirmed: iPad 3 Has a 2048x1536 Retina Display

Yet the stats don't lie.
Millions of iPad2s sold. Could the majority of those buyers have purchased a less expensive tablet that would have done exactly what it is they are using the tablet for? Absolutely. So why then did they buy the iPad? Same reason people buy other Apple equipment that provides them with half the stuff for twice the price.

That is just complete nonsense.

The real reason they outsold everyone is because they did it better (shocker!) . No one came close in user experience to what the iPad was delivering.

Then after essentially creating the market they now can add market share, mind share, and massive ecosystem to that user experience.

As far as half the stuff for twice the price, I have seen two years of complaints about competitor tablets from the people who refuse to buy Apple: The #1 complaint I have seen: It costs just as much as an iPad.

Perhaps Apple should sell the iPad3s together with a coupon for an optometrist visit, that would be brilliant marketing.

I wonder how may people saying how pointless this resolution is today, will be raving about Windows/Android tablets with 200dpi+ displays 6 months from now?

Can they at least use resolutions that we are already used to? like 1080p and 720p?

No one came close in user experience to what the iPad was delivering.
Nothing could be farther from the truth there. Anyone who thinks that Apple's popularity didn't play a role in the iPad's success is clearly delusional. I can give you a long list of things competitors do better out of the box but in the end those things don't matter to consumers. If consumers had any analytical sense whatsoever the entire global marketplace would be turned on its head.

Nothing could be farther from the truth there. Anyone who thinks that Apple's popularity didn't play a role in the iPad's success is clearly delusional. I can give you a long list of things competitors do better out of the box but in the end those things don't matter to consumers. If consumers had any analytical sense whatsoever the entire global marketplace would be turned on its head.

Break out the list, I would love to see it.

Well said. Yet it is the combination of consumerism, lack of sense and perceived status symbol associated with owning these gadgets that have been driving the i's (iPhone, iPad, etc) successes. Yes, their effienciency and efficacy play a role but not to the extent that could explain the success. Having said that, I am typing this from my iPad 2 because it was cool to have in Africa and Laos and its portability and usefulness in satisfying my needs in those places surpassed my laptop.

Well said. Yet it is the combination of consumerism, lack of sense and perceived status symbol associated with owning these gadgets that have been driving the i's (iPhone, iPad, etc) successes. Yes, their effienciency and efficacy play a role but not to the extent that could explain the success. Having said that, I am typing this from my iPad 2 because it was cool to have in Africa and Laos and its portability and usefulness in satisfying my needs in those places surpassed my laptop.

So a lack of sense and people looking for a status symbol is causing high iPad sales... But you bought one for yourself because it was the best tablet? Great to know it is OK for you to buy one, but when everyone else buys one, they are an senseless consumer.

Also, whomever it is that keeps saying that Apple haters are hipsters isn't aware of the fact that Apple marketing is pushing the perception that owning an Apple product will make you a hipster. So son, you need to get your definitions straight.

by definition, the fact that its marketed to hipsters means that no real hipster would be caught dead with one. :D

Go back and read reviews in the from the first year of the iPad. The competition was garbage in comparison.

In year two the gap was smaller, but the iPad was still better, but now it had a massive ecosystem advantage.

Apple must just love it, when people look at their products and can't figure out what makes a successful product, so instead they spout defeatist nonsense like "Consumer are dumb and just Buy it 'cause it says Apple".

Yet the stats don't lie.
Millions of iPad2s sold. Could the majority of those buyers have purchased a less expensive tablet that would have done exactly what it is they are using the tablet for? Absolutely. So why then did they buy the iPad? Same reason people buy other Apple equipment that provides them with half the stuff for twice the price.

Having said that, I do agree that the iPad2 screen res was insufficient, which makes the craze for the iPad2 as opposed to the iPad even more mindboggling, 2 cheap cameras, a little bit faster, a little bit thinner, and people just went nuts for it.

Also, whomever it is that keeps saying that Apple haters are hipsters isn't aware of the fact that Apple marketing is pushing the perception that owning an Apple product will make you a hipster. So son, you need to get your definitions straight.

I have no doubts that the iPad3 will be a commercial success but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's a good product from a technology perspective. Essentially the increased screen res is what will differentiate the iPad2 from the iPad3. Instead of looking at what consumers need Apple went with the technologically easy route of simply doubling the resolution.

Arguably a true HD display would have been a better choice for .., wait for it ... wait for it ..., HD streaming that doesn't have to be upscaled or only takes up a fraction of the screen.

Perhaps Apple should sell the iPad3s together with a coupon for an optometrist visit, that would be brilliant marketing.

Until Android gets the same amount of app support as Apple has, than yes, it is the right choice to go with Apple for the largest app selection. I use mine for leisure, and why the hell would I want an inferior tablet with less apps?

I don't care for using a laptop, because the experience is different. Look at my sig for my specs and yes, I still use an Apple product to do leisurely things on.

Anyone who I wondering why tablets are good and necessary, especially walled gardens like the iPad, just watch my parents try to use a computer for five minutes and you will understand.

Until Android gets the same amount of app support as Apple has, than yes, it is the right choice to go with Apple for the largest app selection.
Not to derail the thread, but no matter which app store you are looking at 10% of the apps are awesome, 10% are clones/variations of the first 10%, and 80% are somewhere between useless and totally useless. Adjust the percentages by 5-10 points if you want but the general idea remains the same. Quantity has no bearing on quality, and quality exists in any of the app stores.

Not to derail the thread, but no matter which app store you are looking at 10% of the apps are awesome ... Quantity has no bearing on quality, and quality exists in any of the app stores.

By your math quantity has a large bearing on how many quality apps you get, because 10% of a bigger number, is a bigger number of awesome apps.

Not to mention that there is a LOT higher proportion of malware in among the Android apps.

And don't forget fragmentation. You have NVidia and Qualcomm each pushing chipset optimized games and even exclusives for one android chipset over the other.
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Qual...meCommand-app-takes-aim-at-Tegra-Zone_id23831

The net effect of all these things is that there are a lot more quality apps and less malware in the iPad ecosystem.

Not to derail the thread, but no matter which app store you are looking at 10% of the apps are awesome, 10% are clones/variations of the first 10%, and 80% are somewhere between useless and totally useless. Adjust the percentages by 5-10 points if you want but the general idea remains the same. Quantity has no bearing on quality, and quality exists in any of the app stores.

Like the poster below you, 10% of a larger selection = more awesome apps. So sorry, Apple is still the right one to go with.

Could the majority of those buyers have purchased a less expensive tablet that would have done exactly what it is they are using the tablet for? Absolutely. So why then did they buy the iPad? Same reason people buy other Apple equipment that provides them with half the stuff for twice the price.

What product is it that you are speaking of, that existed before the iPad, was half the price and did twice as much as the iPad?

By your math quantity has a large bearing on how many quality apps you get, because 10% of a bigger number, is a bigger number of awesome apps.

Yeah, but both the App Store and the Android Market have a similar number of apps.

Not to mention that there is a LOT higher proportion of malware in among the Android apps.

No there isn't, not in the Android Marketplace anyway. If you stick to the official channels for apps on each platform your risk of exposure to malware is similar - although Apple makes you trust Apple and the developer much more than Google does, as the recent Path controversy demonstrates nicely.

And don't forget fragmentation. You have NVidia and Qualcomm each pushing chipset optimized games and even exclusives for one android chipset over the other.
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Qual...meCommand-app-takes-aim-at-Tegra-Zone_id23831

Not really. It's no different than what you see on the desktop which nobody has ever called fragmented.

The net effect of all these things is that there are a lot more quality apps and less malware in the iPad ecosystem.

Not really. The malware part is bullshit FUD, so ignoring that and focusing purely on quality it is more like this. iOS apps tend to be fancier, but they also cost money. Android apps are just as functional, often more so, but lack the UI flair. To compensate they tend to be free.

Functional & free vs. paid & pretty.

Yeah, but both the App Store and the Android Market have a similar number of apps.
Android has much fewer tablet specific apps, and scaled phone apps aren't as good. When tablets all ran Honeycomb and it was tablet only, you could actually tell how many Tablet specific apps and there were very few.

Not really. It's no different than what you see on the desktop which nobody has ever called fragmented.

:rolleyes: Seriously? Many people talk about how PC is fragmented (often vs consoles), but it is a bigger issue for Android, Top Developers like Tim Sweeny and John Carmack and many less famous devs have indicated this is a large problem for Android.
If Top game developers say it is a problem, that makes it a problem:
http://actionatadistance.net/post/4386288135/sweeney-android-fragmentation

focusing purely on quality it is more like this. iOS apps tend to be fancier, but they also cost money. Android apps are just as functional, often more so, but lack the UI flair. To compensate they tend to be free. Functional & free vs. paid & pretty.

They tend to be Ad supported (not the same as free) because there is so much piracy it is hard to make money selling apps in the Marketplace.

No there isn't, not in the Android Marketplace anyway. If you stick to the official channels for apps on each platform your risk of exposure to malware is similar

Not really. The malware part is bullshit FUD,

You said this twice but that is total nonsense. There has been tons of malware in the Android Marketplace. Google eventually pulls it, but it gets in there with great regularity. There is an almost monthly story of pulling malware from the marketplace.

Example: Millions caught in Android botnet from software in the official Android Marketplace:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/millions-caught-up-in-android-botnet/17891

So how about some facts next time, not your opinion masquerading as facts.

The extra resolution is a nice thing, but honestly I question how much good it will do. Don't get me wrong I have an ASUS Transformer Prime and I'll debate upgrading to one with a higher resolution, but honestly I'd need to see it in action to be sold on it first. It just... doesn't seem like it would be right now. The screens aren't that big. Everything fits just as it is and I'm not sure I'd want smaller text anyways.

For things that could, like video, well... even on TV's in order to actually see 1080p vs 720p you have to be right smack the fuck on it unless you're dealing with larger screens. And to be honest the only way I'm going to be watching 1080p video off a tablet is with HDMI out on a TV, and the transformer does it.

So the extra resolution is nice, but it's not earth shatteringly important.

Gaming on tablets is interesting and it's a hot topic it seems. Namely because people are using computers less and less. A full productivity suite on them and keyboard/monitor docs and maybe we can shit can some laptops, already shit canned desktops. Having games on the device you use is important, because most people aren't going to go out and buy more devices for games. Less devices > more devices and portable devices > devices stuck at your house.

There are some good games out on Android and frankly the games that support tegra 3 look better than anything on other mobile platforms. THey work fine with blue tooth controlers as well, plug into the HDTV at your hotel just fine as well.

Fragmentation does hurt, but honestly there are more ipads out there. Right now most peoples computing platform consists of a laptop and probably a smart phone. Tablets are a bit of a luxury since they are halfway through a laptop and a phone. The ipad is kicking ass here and most android tablets users I know are fairly technical and wanted more control over the device, or like me looked at the ipads specs and abilities and laughed. Obviously there are more people on the ipad.

I'd wager tablet gaming will really kick off once they have a full office and adobe suite on them. The stuff they have is barely good enough as it is. Win8 would be nice as well.

Won't it be difficult to drive that resolution in games?

No, but it will be difficult to drive while playing games at that resolution :)

At first, when I heard this rumor, I was like "holy crap", but then I figured what's the point? My 27" monitor which is 6 times bigger than an iPad screen is more than enough at that resolution.

Android has much fewer tablet specific apps, and scaled phone apps aren't as good. When tablets all ran Honeycomb and it was tablet only, you could actually tell how many Tablet specific apps and there were very few.

No one has any actual numbers of "tablet-optimized" Android apps. It is likely fewer than the App Store, but it's not as few as you think.

And if you aren't aware, Android's "scaling" is nothing like Apple's scaling (Android doesn't actually scale, by default it always renders at the real resolution)

:rolleyes: Seriously? Many people talk about how PC is fragmented (often vs consoles), but it is a bigger issue for Android, Top Developers like Tim Sweeny and John Carmack and many less famous devs have indicated this is a large problem for Android.
If Top game developers say it is a problem, that makes it a problem:
http://actionatadistance.net/post/4386288135/sweeney-android-fragmentation

1) Carmack isn't quoted at that link
2) Epic's engines have gone waaaay downhill over the past several years - they are totally a console company now

The "problem" he is talking about is merely that he wants phones to be a console when they aren't. It's not an Android problem, it's a "why can't I be lazy? Let me be lazy dammit!" thing. iOS is rapidly hitting the same issue as now you have multiple resolutions and GPUs.

They tend to be Ad supported (not the same as free) because there is so much piracy it is hard to make money selling apps in the Marketplace.

While they are ad supported, it has nothing to do with not being able to make money selling apps in the Marketplace. Why am I not surprised you are spewing more bullshit FUD?

You said this twice but that is total nonsense. There has been tons of malware in the Android Marketplace.

No there hasn't.

Google eventually pulls it, but it gets in there with great regularity.

No it doesn't.

There is an almost monthly story of pulling malware from the marketplace.

Example: Millions caught in Android botnet from software in the official Android Marketplace:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/millions-caught-up-in-android-botnet/17891

Yes, and those articles are FUD - especially that one. Even Symantic eventually "corrected" themselves when numerous other security experts pointed out that it wasn't a botnet, and couldn't do the things Symantic was claiming.

So how about some facts next time, not your opinion masquerading as facts.

After you.

I really can't wait to see how you guys battle Windows 8 and the devices that come out for it this fall. It'll be the thrila in Malia except on [H].:D

I really can't wait to see how you guys battle Windows 8 and the devices that come out for it this fall. It'll be the thrila in Malia except on [H].:D

Depends on which Windows 8. Win 8 on ARM? No thank you. Something like that super sleek Lenovo convertible tablet (this thing: http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/09/lenovos-ideapad-yoga-convertible-tablet-runs-windows-8-is-set/ ) - hell fucking yes, sign me up for one of those. Assuming, of course, that the real Windows 8 isn't the train wreck the developer preview was.

Depends on which Windows 8. Win 8 on ARM? No thank you. Something like that super sleek Lenovo convertible tablet (this thing: http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/09/lenovos-ideapad-yoga-convertible-tablet-runs-windows-8-is-set/ ) - hell fucking yes, sign me up for one of those. Assuming, of course, that the real Windows 8 isn't the train wreck the developer preview was.

Yeah, the Yoga is a device that's on my might buy list,but no pen digitizer so a bit of a tough sell for me.

Windows on ARM isn't all that thrilling to me either but a Wacom digitizer WOA device I will buy and those things at the right price and quality will be hellacious note taking devices.

And as big of train wreck that some want to label the Windows 8 Developer Preview it's amazing how much worked perfectly with it for me. Lots of keyboard and mouse usability issues with Metro but not a lick of trouble with a desktop program, even games. By comparison Vista at this stage crashed and burned on TONS of stuff. The Start Menu vs. the Start Screen means little when nothing even runs. At any rate I'm looking forward to being able to run the Consumer Preview 24x7 on my tablets and test desktop and convertible tablet PC.

Now back to our original programing.

I cannot wait to see what that resolution looks like on such a small screen.
I have no judgement, positive or negative, until I have seen it myself.

Uh, no it isn't. Do you have any proof to back that up? Here are some numbers I managed to find that I think are comparable:
Textured fill rate: 9700 Pro gets 2600 MTexels/s compared to the 543MP2's 900
Memory bandwidth: 9700 Pro has 20GB/s compared to the 543MP2's 2.3GB/s that is shared with the CPU.
GFLOP/s: 34 GFLOP/s for the 9700 pro vs. 12-19 GFLOP/s for the 543MP2 (depending on clock speed, which I couldn't find out what the iPad 2's is running at)

So in terms of raw performance it looks like the 9700 Pro quite easily trounces the 543MP2. The 9700 Pro also almost certainly has much better drivers, better AA, and better AF. It also isn't saddled with the SGX's deferred tile renderer.

Also I'm not sure if you remember back that far, but I was definitely running 4x AA in most games at 1024x768 with a 9700 Pro with 16x AF. In fact, at that resolution and AA the 9700 Pro still got over 200 FPS in
Why do you say saddled with the SGX's deferred tile renderer like it’s a bad thing?

A deferred tile renderer is vastly more efficient any means you cannot do a direct comparison of raw specs. Deferred tile renderer removes over 99% of overdraw so in a game with an overdraw rate of 3 you times the numbers by 3, in a game with an overdraw of 4 you times the numbers by 4. As overdraw goes up the 9700pro gets slower and slower while the SGX stays the same speed. This is what allows the SGX to push out such highly detailed screens with low specs.

SGX has better AA with less of a performance hit over what the 9700 pro has.
As for Quake a single SGX435 gets 60fps at 1080p limited to the screen refresh rate. So a 543MP2 with a mhz boost lowered down to 1024x768 should get well into the 100’s just like the 9700 pro.

1) Carmack isn't quoted at that link
2) Epic's engines have gone waaaay downhill over the past several years - they are totally a console company now

The "problem" he is talking about is merely that he wants phones to be a console when they aren't. It's not an Android problem, it's a "why can't I be lazy? Let me be lazy dammit!" thing. iOS is rapidly hitting the same issue as now you have multiple resolutions and GPUs.

I didn't think a Carmack link would be needed since that one is widely covered, but here:
http://techcrunch.com/2011/04/15/jo...ter-than-android-for-mobile-game-development/
"The reasons for the superiority are largely the same as they were last year: Android is far too fragmented to develop for, "

General Survey of Android Developers: Majority say fragmentation is a problem.
http://www.android-reviews.org/acco...droid-developers-say-fragmentation-a-problem/

But hey just because the most famous game developers, and a majority of all developers say Android fragmentation is a problem means nothing because you have a different opinion. :rolleyes:

While they are ad supported, it has nothing to do with not being able to make money selling apps in the Marketplace. Why am I not surprised you are spewing more bullshit FUD?

Again, this is from developers who have specifically stated they avoid Android because of the Piracy:
http://mashable.com/2011/11/23/infinity-blade-mobile-gaming-success/
"There is nothing technically preventing the brothers from bringing Infinity Blade to Android right now. Instead, they’re hesitating because of piracy concerns."

When Angry Birds came to Android, Rovio went for Ad based model instead of trying to sell it. Piracy is a big issue on Android for Devs. And a secondary reason behind fragmentation for the relative lack of top tier titles on Android.

Yes, and those articles are FUD - especially that one. Even Symantic eventually "corrected" themselves when numerous other security experts pointed out that it wasn't a botnet, and couldn't do the things Symantic was claiming.

Where is the retraction? I search and all I find are endless articles on this botnet. So it is all made up, it doesn't really exist?

What about Google pulling this malware out of the official app store?
http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...ls_22_more_malicious_Android_apps_from_Market

It is all just made up stories to smear Android? :rolleyes:

By what attributes are you referring when you say that Unreal Engine has gone "waaaay downhill"?

I wonder the same thing. Unreal Engine 4 looks amazing IMO

New-Unreal-Engine-Demands-Next-Generation-Xbox-720-and-PlayStation-4-Consoles-2.jpg

lets hope the push upwards for resolution will somehow make monitor manufacturers give us more than 1080p for under $800. imacs have 1600p or 1440p as standard, now even the ipad is blowing PC standard monitors out of the water.

Well, as much as I don't like Apple products for functionality reasons (I just loathe iTunes and how you can't acess your stuff just by plugging in a USB port), I have to give them that all screens on their products are EXCELLENT, be it iPad, MacBooks or iPhone. Crystal clear, the touch screen responds without a glitch... just amazing.

That said, I still laugh at my brother who got an iPhone only to discover he can't get his favorite game, Fruit Ninja, on Apple Store Brazil. Every country has their own App Store with different stuff. Go figure.

Well, as much as I don't like Apple products for functionality reasons (I just loathe iTunes and how you can't acess your stuff just by plugging in a USB port), I have to give them that all screens on their products are EXCELLENT, be it iPad, MacBooks or iPhone. Crystal clear, the touch screen responds without a glitch... just amazing.

Macbook displays are good but I think excellent is a bit much.

didn't read all 10 pages but my thoughts are short.

Hot
I'll buy one
The only reason I didn't buy an old one was the low res no 1080p movies

Quality is a big issue when comparing both the App Store and the Android App Store. Apple has paid its developers over $4 Billion dollars (http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/apple-has-paid-4-billion-to-app-developers-25-01-2012/ since it's been released and the Android Store has only paid $350 Million to its developers (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/appsblog/2011/nov/22/android-paid-apps-revenues. Keep in mind, both of these app stores were released around the same time as one another. The App Store in July '08 and the Android Store October '08. The App Store is clearly the way to go and I believe it always will be due to piracy issues with Google.

The amount paid to developers doesnt mean much. Android is open. Of course its going to have more apps for less costs. Apple tightly regulates its system. Yes is broken but in no way does it beat the east of working on the android platform. All you pointed out was that Google is getting more bang for its buck. It tells nothing of actual quality.

honestly, I don't think this double resolution thing is true. It's WAY to expensive to manufacture if they are going to sell it at 500 dollars. Look at other IPS displays with that resolution... they aren't cheap. I think we'll see a slightly improved cpu/gpu and a better camera.

Won't the text be super small at that res on such a small screen? Text at 1920x1200 on my 27.5" screen is about as small as I would want.

Back