Confirmed: iPad 3 Has a 2048x1536 Retina Display

So 1080p in other OEMs will be considered as the average from now on?

It's borderline insulting to find that a 10" tablet is getting 2048x1536 when desktop monitors have been languishing away at 1920x1080. You can't even get 1536 pixels of vertical res these days without spending >$1000 for a 30" monitor or turning a monitor on its side.

You are missing the point.
Most people who buy iPads buy them for reasons that are irrational. Once you look at it rationally you can see that a Kindle Fire does 99% of what an iPad does, and the 1% ..., well, then you are the 1% with a rational reason.

Obviously the numbers are exaggerated for dramatic effect but the point is still valid. You don't need 2048 for HD streaming, email, web browsing, or e-reading. I can't even take those who suggest photo/video editing tasks on a tablet seriously, and gaming? Gaming will be meh on a tablet no matter what they put in there.
I feel sorry for you man. How does it feel to be on the low end of totem pole where you can't afford nice things? Seriously, it's sad. I hope you eventually get a better job with a big bump in pay so that you can understand what it's like to have means to enjoy life.

Obviously my statement is exaggerated for dramatic effect but the point is still valid. LOL.

There goes the battery life...

I'm a little worried about this too. I heard rumors of the iPad 3 being bigger than the 2, which to me would not make any sense and I can't see Apple doing that with thinness being pushed in the rest of their products.

I feel sorry for you man. How does it feel to be on the low end of totem pole where you can't afford nice things? Seriously, it's sad. I hope you eventually get a better job with a big bump in pay so that you can understand what it's like to have means to enjoy life.

Obviously my statement is exaggerated for dramatic effect but the point is still valid. LOL.

I see what you did there. LOL!!

Nice I suppose..though honestly anything over 1080p seems like gross overkill on a 10" device. I won't complain though, it drives competition and that is a good thing. Looking forward to the Asus response to this. :D

I think everyone's getting ahead of themselves on this, obviously the new ipad will be 24+ inches. I mean not even apple would be dumb enough to waste money on a 10" screen at that res, right?

I think everyone's getting ahead of themselves on this, obviously the new ipad will be 24+ inches. I mean not even apple would be dumb enough to waste money on a 10" screen at that res, right?

Because Apple are clearly stupid when it comes to engineering.

They chose the res because it allows them to maintain compatibility with all the old apps, art, etc as it's a simple doubling of pixels on each axis.

I'm a little worried about this too. I heard rumors of the iPad 3 being bigger than the 2, which to me would not make any sense and I can't see Apple doing that with thinness being pushed in the rest of their products.

Id be all for a slightly wider ipad. It's already too thin for me to hold it comfortably upright for long. Even if they thicken it by 50% its still super thin, and the battery life would probably be amazing.

What they use to drive that resolution will be interesting, especially in regard to battery life.

For a forum that is all about advancement in hardware, I see a lot of hate for an "Apple" product. Get over yourselves, Apple is ahead of the curve for modern tablets to the market once again.

For a forum that is all about advancement in hardware, I see a lot of hate for an "Apple" product. Get over yourselves, Apple is ahead of the curve for modern tablets to the market once again.

I see a legitimate question being asked. WHY is that resolution necessary on a 10 inch screen. Sure we would all love higher res on big desktop monitors, playing games where you can, you know, actually adjust the resolution.

Playing iOS games that will be scaled means it will look almost no different than the 1024x768 screen. Movies/TV aren't distributed at higher than 1080p. Most websites are designed to run on widths well below 1080p. I just can't see, for a 10 inch tablet with applications that don't have adjustable settings, why that high of a resolution is remotely helpful. Hell, I thought the same thing when Asus announced the 1080p transformer prime. 720p seems perfectly adequate for a device that size, until mobile content changes to make higher res necessary.

I see a legitimate question being asked. WHY is that resolution necessary on a 10 inch screen. Sure we would all love higher res on big desktop monitors, playing games where you can, you know, actually adjust the resolution.

Playing iOS games that will be scaled means it will look almost no different than the 1024x768 screen. Movies/TV aren't distributed at higher than 1080p. Most websites are designed to run on widths well below 1080p. I just can't see, for a 10 inch tablet with applications that don't have adjustable settings, why that high of a resolution is remotely helpful. Hell, I thought the same thing when Asus announced the 1080p transformer prime. 720p seems perfectly adequate for a device that size, until mobile content changes to make higher res necessary.

Really you can't? We have phones that take pictures at 8 megapixels yet display them on a low res screen. Text is 4 times sharper, photos 4 times sharper. In time videos 4 times sharper. All its doing is rendering the image, web page at a higher resolution, the iPhone, your android phones run 720 p on a 3-4 inc screen and renders it sharper . Same concept, why is that so hard to understand? If you need to view images at that high a resolution, ie artists, photographers, X-ray images, graphic artists, text book makers, then yes the higher resolution would make a "practical" difference. I'm sorry if you can't get past your own nose to see the how it's not remotely helpful. It's not just about playing YouTube or movies. They set the format to 4:3 for text and photos!!!! how ignorant are you guys going to be?

I dont care what they do with the ipad now I just want to know why I am not able to get higher desktop monitor res's? Seriously I am running 3 1080p screens cause its the only reasonably priced res for monitors anymore.

I see a legitimate question being asked. WHY is that resolution necessary on a 10 inch screen.

Because it looks better. Go look at text or pictures on a 480x320 cell phone screen, then look at text on a 960x640 cell phone screen. The one with the higher pixel density looks much better.

Sure we would all love higher res on big desktop monitors, playing games where you can, you know, actually adjust the resolution.

iOS games will come out that run in native 2048x1536. Just like when the Retina display first came out, and people said "What games run at 960x480?!? Who needs that?" Now almost every iPhone game and app runs at the resolution, and it makes the old iPhone displays looks like crap. The GPU in the current iPad 2 is arguably overkill for 1024x768, it shouldn't be too much of a stretch for a newer GPU to hand 4X that resolution just fine.

Playing iOS games that will be scaled means it will look almost no different than the 1024x768 screen.

They will look identical for the most part, since the screen resolution is exactly doubled in each axis. They don't have to do any odd scaling to fit things.

Movies/TV aren't distributed at higher than 1080p. Most websites are designed to run on widths well below 1080p. I just can't see, for a 10 inch tablet with applications that don't have adjustable settings, why that high of a resolution is remotely helpful.

Again, that resolution will be the next default for applications. You don't need adjust resolutions. A whole new crop of iPad 3 ready apps will get on the market, and they will look great.

Hell, I thought the same thing when Asus announced the 1080p transformer prime. 720p seems perfectly adequate for a device that size, until mobile content changes to make higher res necessary.

If all people wanted was adequate, technology would advance at a snail's pace and we would still be using flip phones and 15 inch monitors.

I see a legitimate question being asked. WHY is that resolution necessary on a 10 inch screen.
It's a legitimate question with legitimate answers: the quality of text improves (significantly); the sharpness of the UI increases and becomes more satisfying to use; games that can run at 2048x1536 will appear significantly sharper.

Despite iOS's good-quality text rendering, the quality of text on the current iPad is poor at a typical viewing distance. It makes reading ebooks less much pleasant than it could be, and requires larger fonts to maintain readability than the iPad 3 will.

Most websites are designed to run on widths well below 1080p.
I don't think you understand. The scale factor on (most) sites will not change. The fidelity of what is displayed increases, particularly if high resolution images are used.

I guess I'm just not that observant, but I've never looked at text on any phone or tablet and thought "man, I wish this text was SHARPER." If applications get created to take advantage of the higher res, and the hardware can actually push that res, then so be it. Until then, I don't think I would care in the least.

If this leads to increased resolution on PC monitors, though, I wouldn't complain. If they can sell a screen that res in a 500 dollar device, can't we get higher res in a monitor for less than 1500 dollars?

I guess I'm just not that observant, but I've never looked at text on any phone or tablet and thought "man, I wish this text was SHARPER." If applications get created to take advantage of the higher res, and the hardware can actually push that res, then so be it. Until then, I don't think I would care in the least.

If this leads to increased resolution on PC monitors, though, I wouldn't complain. If they can sell a screen that res in a 500 dollar device, can't we get higher res in a monitor for less than 1500 dollars?

You can, its called 27" IPS monitors, hell even Dell's 30" IPS is <$1000. the U2711 goes on sale every so often for $600 or so.

It could have a 4096x3072 for all I care. I'm still not getting one, or any tablet for that matter.There are just things that a tablet will never be good at. Entertainment, yes. Word processing and pretty much anything work-related...not so much.

Overkill but awesome. Wonder how this will affect price and battery life.

There is no better forum for anti Apple fanboys than [h]. When Apple comes out with something that pushes other companies (this happens often actually), it is somehow bad because it came from Apple. There are a lot of topics that can't be discussed rationally around here and one of them is anything that involves Apple.

Just to comment on the PC monitor thing, the reason we don't see these resolutions is because the OS usually doesn't scale like a enclosed ecosystem device. They can up the resolution on a tablet and keep the icons/UI the same size, thus increasing sharpness. On PCs, if you scale the resolution the icons and UI get incredibly small. Hence why higher resolutions are used for larger monitors. If they had an easily understandable "sharpness" setting, or have the UI scale based on monitor size, it'd be more practical. So monitor makers are stuck using what is considered the correct size for the desktop.

Just my .2cents on that.

Just to comment on the PC monitor thing, the reason we don't see these resolutions is because the OS usually doesn't scale like a enclosed ecosystem device. They can up the resolution on a tablet and keep the icons/UI the same size, thus increasing sharpness. On PCs, if you scale the resolution the icons and UI get incredibly small. Hence why higher resolutions are used for larger monitors. If they had an easily understandable "sharpness" setting, or have the UI scale based on monitor size, it'd be more practical. So monitor makers are stuck using what is considered the correct size for the desktop.

Just my .2cents on that.

MS has been improving the PPI scaling in each release of windows since 2000/XP.

Yeah, and a shitbox pinto can do 99% of what a Mercedes does, so what's your point? Some people aren't content with shit and will pay more for better things. You don't NEED air conditioning for driving around. You don't NEED satellite radio and a CD player. You don't NEED heated seats. Just like you don't NEED a super high-res tablet display, but people want it, and it will improve the product tremendously.

The Pinto analogy doesn't work well. It's more like buying a Mercedes over buying a Lincoln. Both are luxury cars, but one has higher brand worth. So I wouldn't say "pay more for better things" is correct, it's about buying the brand and the recognition or the perceived value of that recognition that society has placed on that item.

We live in a society where we place a great deal of value in "brands". Whether justified or not (see Monster). Some people buy simply because of that perceived worth and status they gain (supposedly) with peers. This is also why Apple gets hated on a lot, because a lot of their more vocal fans are too wrapped up in the corporate koolaid to realize this. A fan is a fan, but I know from my experience is that Apple seems to attract (not all here) a lot of people who like to shove it down your throat about how awesome such-and-such is without knowing much about it or the competition.

MS has been improving the PPI scaling in each release of windows since 2000/XP.

Of course, but does it do it automatically? Is it easily accessible? No. If monitor makers release a 24" monitor with a god-like resolution, they have to deal with the support calls on why the native resolution makes everything so small. We make up a small portion of the market.

I'm not saying the functionality isn't there, or hasn't been there (latest versions of Windows often use hires icons, etc.), it's more about the ease and market. Our best hope is for an enthusiast maker to release a monitor knowing their targeted market knows how to tinker.

Win7 was a step in the right direction (allowing UI scaling to some degree).

The Pinto analogy doesn't work well. It's more like buying a Mercedes over buying a Lincoln. Both are luxury cars, but one has higher brand worth. So I wouldn't say "pay more for better things" is correct, it's about buying the brand and the recognition or the perceived value of that recognition that society has placed on that item.

We live in a society where we place a great deal of value in "brands". Whether justified or not (see Monster). Some people buy simply because of that perceived worth and status they gain (supposedly) with peers. This is also why Apple gets hated on a lot, because a lot of their more vocal fans are too wrapped up in the corporate koolaid to realize this. A fan is a fan, but I know from my experience is that Apple seems to attract (not all here) a lot of people who like to shove it down your throat about how awesome such-and-such is without knowing much about it or the competition.

But in this case of modern tablets, there is nothing that even remotely competes with Apple. All the android tablets I've used have been junk. The Prime isn't that much better.

Just a couple of questions:

- So everything current in iOS or whatever will just perfectly scale to the higher resolution?
- So the old notion of lower resolution video looking like crap on a higher res screen goes away because of: superior scaling? Or because the screen size is so small you're just adding so much pixel density the eye can't see it? Or some other reason? Just asking because I really don't know and I'm with others who have been wanting more res on PC monitors.

Being an iPad 2 user I like the increased resolution. Browsing the web at 10x7 is so 1995. I also think that this increased resolution will also result in higher res camera abilities. I also hope that there will be a better virtual keyboard layout available and be able to display 2 to 4 apps at the same time.

Back