Confirmed: Apple to Add Wireless Charging to the iPhone 8

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Mobile accessory makers have confirmed that the flagship iPhone will feature wireless charging, although it is unknown which protocol (Qi or Airfuel) it will be using. Being that the Apple Watch uses a slightly modified version of the former, I suppose that is the most likely candidate. How can Android makers ever hope to keep up with such advancements?

...Apple is indeed planning on adding wireless charging to the iPhone 8. One of these sources elected to go on the record. Citing sources familiar with the matter, Allen Fung, GM of another mobile accessory maker, RAVPower, says: “Our sources tell us the next iPhones have special technology for wireless charging that we have in this charger. Our wireless charger will wirelessly charge the next iPhones at full speed, as well as being able to charge other mobile devices wirelessly.”

Who seriously gives a shit?

"Wireless charging" is really just zero insertion charging. You still have to physically place your phone where there would be a (much less bulky) micro/lightning/c connector. It saves you what? 1.4 seconds? All while charging slower than plugging in, and effectively mandating an extra fragile, glass-backed device?

MEH

Knowing Apple, they will probably take an existing standard, modify it as little as they have to to make it not function with that standard, and then charge license fees from everyone who wants to make an "iPhone compatible" wireless charger....

Seriously, fuck Apple. Fuck Apple long and fuck Apple hard.

Apple adds feature

Android nerds outrage!

It's because Apple will claim this as a Revolutionary Feature or the Next Big Thing. I for one am finally glad I can toss the damn lightning cable off my desk and drop my phone on a stand or a puck to charge it. Makes things painfully simple.

As someone who owns and still uses a iPhone 6 Plus. This is great! I've been trying to get wireless charging on the phone for a long time and solutions are just 'meh' and somewhat don't always work.

I'll probably upgrade to an 8 if the camera is has been improved enough. Probably not.

Apple will not use any current standard for wireless charging, I said that last year and a few times since, and I'm still confident that'll be the case: they'll use something they've been working on for a few years now, their own "standard" and they'll get away with it because people already locked into the Apple iOS device ecosphere have never purchased any wireless charging hardware before (for those devices, save for a very tiny number of users that bought extended battery cases that support Qi-charging of the external battery only).

So, Apple will "change the world" once again with a new wireless charging standard, only really designed for iOS hardware, it'll probably be as fast or faster than Qualcomm's QuickCharge 3.0 standard and anything related to Qi hardware in any respect, as fast as or faster than OnePlus' DASH charging standard, and anything else on the market today and of course it'll be completely and totally incompatible with current standards for wireless charging in any way, shape, or form.

And the Cult of Mac will roar its approval and drop a fucking shitload of cash on Apple once more never seeming to realize they're paying more for wireless charging which has been around for many years now with the competition.

Sickening, isn't it? :D

"Wireless charging" is really just zero insertion charging. You still have to physically place your phone where there would be a (much less bulky) micro/lightning/c connector. It saves you what? 1.4 seconds? All while charging slower than plugging in, and effectively mandating an extra fragile, glass-backed device?

MEH
Agreed

MEH

Wireless charging is amazing. I can wake up at night, take a phone call, and slap my phone back down roughly where I picked it up and it is charging again. No fumbling for cords. It's convenient.

As someone who owns and still uses a iPhone 6 Plus. This is great! I've been trying to get wireless charging on the phone for a long time and solutions are just 'meh' and somewhat don't always work.

I'll probably upgrade to an 8 if the camera is has been improved enough. Probably not.

So 12 mega pixels isnt good enough already ? Gtfo.

I use the camera on a 6s plus and its great, the 7 is better, its improved already.

Wireless charging is amazing. I can wake up at night, take a phone call, and slap my phone back down roughly where I picked it up and it is charging again. No fumbling for cords. It's convenient.

I can do that aswell, its called a 2 metre charging cable, can pick up the phone and make a call or take a call in the middle of the night and guess what ? It never stops charging.

So 12 mega pixels isnt good enough already ? Gtfo.

I use the camera on a 6s plus and its great, the 7 is better, its improved already.

I care about low-light pictures. For normal pictures, my 6+ is good enough already. But for low-light, forget about it.

I can do that aswell, its called a 2 metre charging cable, can pick up the phone and make a call or take a call in the middle of the night and guess what ? It never stops charging.

This is why I would never bother with it in my office or home. In my car however, that would be nice. Plop it in and leave it there for the drive. Not a necessity but a nice convenience.

I'd love to see them use the phone and charge it wireless at the same time. Someone needs to build area wireless charging on the cheap.

Apple will not use any current standard for wireless charging, I said that last year and a few times since, and I'm still confident that'll be the case: they'll use something they've been working on for a few years now, their own "standard" and they'll get away with it because people already locked into the Apple iOS device ecosphere have never purchased any wireless charging hardware before (for those devices, save for a very tiny number of users that bought extended battery cases that support Qi-charging of the external battery only).

So, Apple will "change the world" once again with a new wireless charging standard, only really designed for iOS hardware, it'll probably be as fast or faster than Qualcomm's QuickCharge 3.0 standard and anything related to Qi hardware in any respect, as fast as or faster than OnePlus' DASH charging standard, and anything else on the market today and of course it'll be completely and totally incompatible with current standards for wireless charging in any way, shape, or form.

And the Cult of Mac will roar its approval and drop a fucking shitload of cash on Apple once more never seeming to realize they're paying more for wireless charging which has been around for many years now with the competition.

Sickening, isn't it? :D

Exactly this.

My wife uses a 6 Plus and will likely get the new iPhone 8 when it comes out - though only because her 6 Plus has stopped reliably registering touch input. I ABSOLUTELY feel that Apple is going to release it's own charging standard, though I doubt it will be faster than the current Qi-standard quick charging - they will just market it in a way that tricks the overwhelming majority of users that it is faster. Something like: "Our revolutionary new method for cordless power delivery charges your iPhone 8 Pro Retina X Gloss Edition faster than ever!".

My prediction? Their wireless charging interface will be either Qi or Powermat, however, it will require an NFC pair between the Pad and the Phone to start the charging process, making 3rd party products - or other Qi devices - incompatible. Of course, Apple will frame this as their attempt to protect your phone from damage.

I'm really not looking forward to the extra wireless pads in our home - I won't be purchasing them, but my wife probably will. Maybe I can get her onto a droid before the 8 drops.

I can do that too, pick up my phone, use it, put it back down an zero fucks given about continuing to charge because a wire charged it up in no time.

Saw this in another thread though, made me ha-ha
Wow, Samsung managed to copy an Apple design from a year ago, and manage to improve on it for once.

Don't worry though Samsung, if your now all tapped out for ideas, Apple will be releasing 3 new phones very soon, and I'm sure there will be plenty to fire your photocopiers up for next year!
I hear the iPhone 8 is getting that "infinity edge" too... I mean such forward thinking!

Knowing Apple, they will probably take an existing standard, modify it as little as they have to to make it not function with that standard, and then charge license fees from everyone who wants to make an "iPhone compatible" wireless charger....

Apple will claim this as a Revolutionary Feature or the Next Big Thing.

I'm sure they were granted a patent for it as well.

I don't have anything else to add...... :p

MEH

Wireless charging most definitely has upsides, and it's very rare that I plug my phone in to charge. I charge my phone over night. Wireless charging means I can drop my phone on a dock without fumbling around in the dark with a plug (or having to turn on the lights and wake my wife who goes to sleep much earlier than me). I also like that it keeps my phone (/alarm clock) visible at a glance without having to pick it up or touch anything. It keeps me from scratching up the phone or damaging / wearing out the USB port. Maybe it's not for everyone, but for me, it really is quite convenient. More importantly, I really don't see a downside. Every phone I own gets a case, and I've never had a case that I couldn't charge through. While the dock takes up space, that's not a problem for me. I'd gladly have that over hunting for a plug. The only downside is the speed, but it's extremely rare that I'm in need of a mid-day charge. Typically if I do, it's because I'm traveling, in which case I'd have the much faster plug in charger with me anyway.

I'll never own an iPhone, so the fact that they showed up 5-years late to the wireless charging party really means little to me. But if we're talking about the feature as a whole... I'd never again consider buying a phone that didn't have wireless charging. Of all the useless shit these overpriced flagship phones do, that's a feature I really wouldn't want to live without.

What if it's proprietary though? I hope it's QI. At least then your car that supports it will work already. Something tells me they will change it a little and charge fees.

What if it's proprietary though? I hope it's QI. At least then your car that supports it will work already. Something tells me they will change it a little and charge fees.

I'm probably going to be sticking with Apple's phone for a while so 'proprietary' doesn't bother me. The only reasons I would upgrade to the 8 is if the camera is acceptable in low-light conditions. Otherwise my 6+ has been going strong since '14 and I got it on launch without any cracks or anything else.

I use wireless charging on my aged Nexus 6 because:

1. I used to charging at night, next to my bed, with a 10 foot cable.
2. I dropped it one too many times at night
3. My charging port is broken
4 I knew I would break it one day

So now I use the QI mat, and can get by ~19 more days until the N8 comes out!

My bedside table has a wireless charger on it for my S8+ but that's the only place I use it - otherwise it's so much slower than QC3 I tend to use a cable anyway.

MEH
I read several years ago that texas instruments created wireless charging that would work feet away from the charger (so like still in your pocket), then one day all reference to it disappeared.

I read several years ago that texas instruments created wireless charging that would work feet away from the charger (so like still in your pocket), then one day all reference to it disappeared.
Probably because it didn't work in the slightest. :)

Probably because it didn't work in the slightest. :)

There are several mid-range wireless charging technologies in existence that have protortype products. They work. The question is form factor, rate of charge, and of course the FCC and basic health and safety issues. They are good for charging from ~1 meter IIRC.

The holy grail is long range, ubiquitous charging.

More than likely because distance charging is fairly terrible and expensive.

I care about low-light pictures. For normal pictures, my 6+ is good enough already. But for low-light, forget about it.
I seriously doubt Apple is going to do well with low light. That's an area where their cameras have always be horrible. If you want that, you need to buy a camera (or carry some lights with you ;) )

There are several mid-range wireless charging technologies in existence that have protortype products. They work. The question is form factor, rate of charge, and of course the FCC and basic health and safety issues. They are good for charging from ~1 meter IIRC.

The holy grail is long range, ubiquitous charging.

The other factor is also efficiency. Not particularly compelling if it's only 1-2% efficient in terms of power consumed vs. charged (and from what I've read previously that's a good scenario, presently).

Back