confirmed: AMD's big Navi launch to disrupt 4K gaming

Had about 4-5 of them since few months after Steam launched on one account..
As mentioned, it's more odd that you got it 4-5 times than me 0, yet I hear from plenty of people that they see or have seen it often. Maybe I don't play enough, or the games I play aren't triple AAA enough, or I only buy games on sale, lol, could be any # of reasons of course, but without knowing the selection criteria I try to take results as probably close but not really sure how close.

On Financial Analysts Day AMD would share the first details about the new graphics cards that AMD has in the works

AMD’s Financial Analyst Day is scheduled for March 5, 2020 from 13:00-18:00 PST (21:00-02:00 GMT)

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-might-detail-new-rdna2-graphics-card-on-march-5.html
This will be helpful, but we will still be guessing on performance until they are released. It should at least give us a slightly better view/expectation, but even if you know the # of CUs, it's hard to say if they performance the same or if there was improvements like the mobile parts got, etc. Time will tell of course, it's just we're all impatient.

Lol, that's the Founders Edition, nVidia's own cards. They are priced higher than partner cards (ASUS, EVGA, etc.) ON PURPOSE, as a compromise to not hurt partner card sales.

From your click, click "Shop 2080Ti" and it takes you to: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shop/g...t=9&locale=en-us&category=GPU&gpu=RTX 2080 Ti 1st card is founders, out of stock. 3rd card is Asus, $999, in stock.

Lol, that's the Founders Edition, nVidia's own cards. They are priced higher than partner cards (ASUS, EVGA, etc.) ON PURPOSE, as a compromise to not hurt partner card sales.

From your click, click "Shop 2080Ti" and it takes you to: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shop/geforce/gpu/?page=1&limit=9&locale=en-us&category=GPU&gpu=RTX 2080 Ti 1st card is founders, out of stock. 3rd card is Asus, $999, in stock.

Your reasoning is without reason. :) The cards where $1199 on release, despite what folks were assuming but oh well, go ahead, try to buy one for $999, good luck.

Edit: Oh, and the Founders Edition is the reference model and no, it was priced as the cards were, such as life.

The Founders cards are actually factory OC'd in the 2080TI's case, probably all of the 2xxx Founders cards, in contrast to the prior Founders cards which only ran at reference clocks.

The Founders cards are actually factory OC'd in the 2080TI's case, probably all of the 2xxx Founders cards, in contrast to the prior Founders cards which only ran at reference clocks.

It's not an OC if it is the manufacturers official spec :p

Nvidia are keeping the best bins for themselves, and clocking them higher. If I were a board partner, I would be pissed.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
It's not an OC if it is the manufacturers official spec :p

Nvidia are keeping the best bins for themselves, and clocking them higher. If I were a board partner, I would be pissed.
You’ll take what they give you and like it.
Poor NVIDIA vendors

Apparently a new AMD GPU has passed korean RRA certification, which means its release is "imminent", like in 1 month

The model number is D30201
Your guess is as good as mine
Since AMD left a $80 gap between the 5500xt & 5600xt this could be a $240 1660 super competitor

But PC GamesN thinks it could be a higher end Navi model, & maybe RDNA 2 with DXR

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/big-navi-release-date
The RX 5600 XT model number, D32501, passed certification on December 3, 2019 with a release on January 21,2020. Similarly the RX 5500 XT, presumably D18902, passed on November 27, 2019, with its release on December 12 less than a month later.

Given that AMD has already stated that it’s going to be dishing the dirt on the new Radeon RDNA 2.0 architecture on March 5, and that there’s the potential for the high-end Navi to be the first graphics card to hit our PCs sporting the new AMD GPU design

ati-technologies-rra-certification-900x506.jpg

Last edited:
The Korean RRA certification does not mean release is imminent. IIRC Gamers Nexus did a vid explaining this.

Apparently a new AMD GPU has passed korean RRA certification, which means its release is "imminent", like in 1 month

The model number is D30201
Your guess is as good as mine
Since AMD left a $80 gap between the 5500xt & 5600xt this could be a $240 1660 super competitor

But PC GamesN thinks it could be a higher end Navi model, & maybe RDNA 2 with DXR

The RX 5600 XT model number, D32501, passed certification on December 3, 2019 with a release on January 21,2020. Similarly the RX 5500 XT, presumably D18902, passed on November 27, 2019, with its release on December 12 less than a month later.

Given that AMD has already stated that it’s going to be dishing the dirt on the new Radeon RDNA 2.0 architecture on March 5, and that there’s the potential for the high-end Navi to be the first graphics card to hit our PCs sporting the new AMD GPU design

View attachment 220703

PC Games N updated their reports to mention that a new model D32310 has been listed along with multiple derivatives (in addition to the model D30201 registered earlier). But what does that mean? No one knows ...

The latest certification is interesting in that not only does it list a model name, but it also lists derivatives. I initially thought that might indicate a full range of cards based on a single GPU, but I’m not convinced that’s how those secondary model names work. It certainly doesn’t seem to be how previous RRA certifications have unfolded.

WHAT IS THE AMD BIG NAVI RELEASE DATE?
One thing the multiple certifications do tell us is that the launch of these cards, whatever they turn out to be, is imminent. That means the AMD Big Navi release date could be as little as one month away...

new-ati-rra-certification-580x326.jpg

Last edited:
PC Games N updated their reports to mention that a new model D32310 has been listed along with multiple derivatives (in addition to the model D30201 registered earlier). But what does that mean? No one knows ...

The linking of RRA numbers to graphic cards is pure speculation based on nothing but the timing

5700XT & 5700 are supposed to be
D18206 & D16302 registered on 2019-06-05 & 2019-06-25

5500, 5500XT 4GB & 5500XT 8GB are supposed to be
D18802 & D18902 registered on 2019-10-28 & 2019-11-27

5600XT supposed to be
D32501 registered on 2019-12-03

Now there are 2 new numbers
D30201 & D32310 registered on 2020-02-03 & 2020-02-19

Based on their registrations and the timing of the launch it is likely lower end parts made from cut down 5700, and 5600 parts to combat the 1650 class gpu’s.

Reactions: N4CR
like this

The entire world could have told you that. It's kinda required for the new consoles to release in 8 months.

Te question of "what time in 2020 will the retail boards ship" still remains unanswered by Lisa, but a release at the same show where they first announced Navi seems likely.

So, July availability.

She's just stoking the hype fire, while not actually telling us anything new :D

That really isn't disruptive. It is an iterative upgrade. If I upgraded, then I would simply be doing the same computing I've always done, but a bit faster than before. There's no disruption there at all. (btw, it's an upgrade I'm looking at making this year, but thinking about it bores me).

If we want to call ordinary business practice "disruption," then we can talk about how Nvidia "disrupted" the low end of the GPU market by forcing AMD to release new firmware after reviews were done but before the cards had shipped. (and before you get confused, I don't feel that is disruption

I don't think your word processing and Intel cutting their processor pricing by 50% last year are by any means a similar Benchmark for determining Market disruption, sadly.

I don't think your word processing and Intel cutting their processor pricing by 50% last year are by any means a similar Benchmark for determining Market disruption, sadly.
If AMD has truly disrupted the GPU market, maybe they can finally turn a profit on the business instead of continuing to sell for a loss on every unit (in case you were wondering how they under price Nvidia, that’s your answer).

Meanwhile, Intel reports record profits despite “cutting processor pricing by 50%.” How did they manage that? Probably by not actually making the company-wide 50% discount that you claim. They discounted one nice model 50%.

If AMD really want to disrupt the 4k scene, they will need to get their drivers working properly. It is really hard to recommend an AMD GPU right now with so many driver issues.

IMO they need to work on that before releasing any new products....

Proper thread title:
"confirmed: AMD's big Navi launch will NOT disrupt 4K gaming"

Always be suspicious of things described as "disrupting", it's investor speak for a company turning an existing market upside-down. The linked article in the OP is probably from someone trying to affect stock prices with "hot news" to their benefit.

Actual market disruption: Streamings' effects on Cable TV i.e. all the cord-cutting going on. Tablet pc's effects on the Laptop market. Ubers' effects on Cab Companies. These things represent disruptions on existing markets. Not matter what AMD/Nvidia releases, it will not 'disrupt' the market for 4k gaming...

Big big ultra Navi launch preview. Gets 4,521 fps at 4K average in most games. In fact, it so fast, we don't really have anything that can display it today. With that said, Samsng is working on something:

"Our new Samstung Lightning display is designed for Big big ultra Navi and beyond. In 3rd quarter you will get your first taste on our new Game Clock Watch. A display resolution of 8K and 3cm widescreen OLED will give the end user the supreme mobile gaming experience. As for how to get this all on a watch, we are using our patented Power Back backpack which will house your AMD dual Epyc server and Big big ultra Navi and Ultra Lightning cable to the watch. All in a very manageable 25kg form factor that can plug directly into your Tesla Model S today. As for interface, the new watch comes with eye motion detection. Just don't watch the road while driving or you're sure to be ambushed! This is going to be huge. Or should I say this is going to be Big big ultra Navi!"

will replace 1080ti contingent upon:
1. drivers need to improve
2. texture mapping units multiple-purposed for ray tracing means more die space means more transistors
3. <$800
4. +50% raster performance

The entire world could have told you that. It's kinda required for the new consoles to release in 8 months.

Navi will be in consoles; in the form of an APU.

A big dedicated graphics card in the consoles? No, we won't see that.

Navi will be in consoles; in the form of an APU.

A big dedicated graphics card in the consoles? No, we won't see that.

Since ATI was purchased by AMD, every past GPU AMD has released in APU form they have released in discrete form first . Because otherwise you have no development environment for the console.

But hey, obviously you know better than this idiot you just trashed-talked :rolleyes:

Wii U APU, Xbox one apu, PS4 apu were all based on existing parts. I expect the parts to be available internally to the console devs 9-12 months prior to launch, and then release to retail 3-6 months before the consoles ship.

You don't sit on the most powerful AMD GPU ever, if tyou've already got it finished. Once the onsole dev kits integration is done, AMD is free to do whatever they want with the discrete cards.

Last edited:
Hey butthurt mcgee... relax.

Speak for yourself. You're the one who got butthurt over a minor nomenclature disagreement. That you imagined, because I implied that they both ship together this year!

The adults are talking here. You're the one who was so out-of-sorts enough to attack my 3-week-old post.

Last edited:
"attack" yet again... the hurtedness is strong with this one

I don't see you proving my statement wrong with any sort of linked proof.

The early console dev kits likely shipped july of last year with the 3700x and Rx 5700 XT. The second-gen dev kits with RDNA 2 should b shipping right about now.

You don't build launch games if you have no dev environment. And obviously, they want to get access to the new features in RDNA2 as soon as possible.

But debugging an APU integration is a lot easier when you've already resolved your architectural bugs in a discrete part. Every single consumer APU ever released by AMD uses an older model of their GPU architectuure (Llano and Bobcat both used ancient VLIW5). Even the new Zen 2 APU uses Vega.

Just saying that having the APU implies the discrete GPU is already done, but AMD doesn't have the workforce to release it to retail before the consoles are done.

Last edited:
Remember you can very easily get 240+ FPS at 4K if you turn the settings down low enough. It's all about balance, I do need to build a new lab server and I am very interested in the Threadrippers, for it but I am more than willing to see what AMD can offer on the GPU side to go up against the Quadro's, and if it happens to be capable of playing the odd game from time to time than so be it.

I like AMD, I have a lot of shares, I've made a lot of money from them and I'd love for them to pull something out the bag for the GPU side of the business and make it a 10 bagger (after crystallising 3x and buying the drop at tail end of 2018 already).

They won't. I'm sure the consoles will work out ok for them, but the discrete side of the business is still screwed. We've had this pattern for years now, they talk it up and then it falls flat. Nvidia needs proper competition.

At this point I'm not even that annoyed about the graphics side of it, the DC side is causing me more pain.

Back