confirmed: AMD's big Navi launch to disrupt 4K gaming

... If they make even just a few thousand of them, it might be enough to Kill Nvidia.

I take it you are joking right?

Considering that extrapolated from the STeam hardware survey, the 5700XT had sold ~180,000, the RTX2080 over a million, and I think it was 7 million for all of the 2xxx series GPU's, a few thousand parts of anything isn't even a bump in the road.

Perhaps..
But taco senses different winds are blowing. This time, red sands are forming a formidable storm towards the green lush ecosystem. The burn is coming. It will be very real.

Hmmm, all I can do is LOL

Confirmation bias just like all the other YT clickbait lovers.

AMD uber alles, huh?

A few of his rumors have been very specific.

Fwiw, his source insists that Nvidia Killer & Big Navi refer to 2 different GPUs

(expected by November) Big Navi aka Navi 21 expected to fall between 3080 & 3090

(In December) There is one more chip Navi 22 that will have performance between 3070 & 3080

(By March next year) Nvidia Killer aka Navi 23 will compete with 3070 at $500 or less

cc Snowdog

Fwiw, his source insists that Nvidia Killer & Big Navi refer to 2 different GPUs

(expected by November) Big Navi aka Navi 21 expected to fall between 3080 & 3090

(In December) There is one more chip Navi 22 that will have performance between 3070 & 3080

(By March next year) Nvidia Killer aka Navi 23 will compete with 3070 at $500 or less

cc Snowdog

Sounds good. You should be able to buy something you prefer. Nothing wrong with buying a brand you like.

If you wanna talk about rumors, that JayzTwoCents guy seems to know something. He gave that cryptic warning video about buying a new video card, and I know he's really cozy with Intel.
I suspect Intel is the one who will take the "day before 3000 launch" cheap-shot and introduce the new Intel graphics card.

That's my guess, at least.

If you wanna talk about rumors, that JayzTwoCents guy seems to know something. He gave that cryptic warning video about buying a new video card, and I know he's really cozy with Intel.
I suspect Intel is the one who will take the "day before 3000 launch" cheap-shot and introduce the new Intel graphics card.

That’s cute.

LOL.

FrgMstr could probably give you clue about what JTC is like...

Everything I'm reading is that top end big Navi is likely to fall somewhere between the 3070 and the 3080.

I wish they did, as I want to buy AMD again, but just like with last gen, AMD won't have anything that can touch the top end.

Going by this rumor from Moore's Law Is Dead, it looks like AMD will be leading with 256gbps width memory bus and not the 384gbps memory bus width that is widely expected?

Is this another jebait ploy to counter the 20gb 3080 ti 🤔

https://www.mooreslawisdead.com/post/nvidia-s-ultimate-play

I just don't think it is relevant.

I have never had a GPU that was held back significantly by VRAM bandwidth. You always get more performance by increasing core speeds than you do RAM speeds.

Lol. Is this a joke?

Sarcasm at its finest.

So buy a 3090 and be done. Do you really think AMD will challenge the 3090?
Challenge how? If they are within 10% but cost < $1k, I think that's good enough for me. If they are 20% off the mark and want $1.3k, they can kick rocks, lol. I do think they will have a part between the 3080 and 3090, just not sure how close to which side. Also, RT performance is still a big unknown (as is raster, but more so). I don't mind spending money on stuff, but there is a point to most where the increase in price isn't worth the increase in performance. This can be very different for each individual whether it's rx 550 -> rx 560 price, or 3080 -> 3090 price, everyone has their limits of what they want to spend and what they consider acceptable.

I'll believe AMD when I can see it in actual usage reviews and buy it from a store. AMD likes to talk big and then release cards at current gen prices but matching last gen performance. I do hope they can do something, but it's unfortunate they couldn't meet or beat nvidia to release. I would guess that most people in the market for a new card aren't going to pass on the nvidia release when you should be able to snag a card at MSRP vs wait 2 months for AMD and then realize it's not up to par and then the resellers have taken over the nvidia market and you pay %40 higher prices.

I'm personally in that boat, I'm going for an RTX 3080, I'm not going to take the risk of AMD being a bust and then not being able to snag a 3080 at msrp.

cc Snowdog

Its this sarcasm?

The "nvidia killer" is something that competes with the 3070.... at the price of a 3070. Holy shit, someone warn nvidia that is coming!!!!

And we have to wait until next march for it? How will NVIDIA frind time to adjust their strategy with that blitzkrieg rollout?

The only thing there, which seems to be counter other rumors is that big navi will outperform 3080.

My $0.02 is that won't matter. It also won't matter if big navi slightly under-performs 3080. Mainly because we have seen how the game market works and the next 2-4 years of video games will not push the envelope very much beyond what consoles will be doing. Except more so because the consoles will be pushing 4k (likely in a kind of mediocre way), and the 3080 will surpass their approach to 4k by a good bit. The only place for PC to go is to power console crushing geometry or something along those lines and they won't, because console sales. So that leaves like 4k+ ultrawide becoming a thing, or 8k gaming. These will be nonexistent or niche for a while.

And they could produce a genuine nvidia killer. And then not kill nvidia, because they would have to rejigger their business to ramp up to nvidia scale volume.

Personally, I wish for the best of all possible worlds. Which is that big navi has a really good power efficiency for crypto mining. Because that means AMD sells all of their video cards and remains flush to do things they do well like ryzen, and gamers get to buy op the good gaming cards form nvidia at their intended price point. Everyone makes money and is happy!

Its this sarcasm?
No

The "nvidia killer" is something that competes with the 3070.... at the price of a 3070. Holy shit, someone warn nvidia that is coming!!!!
Remember, this term nVidia killer was coined 1 year ago, when the highest performing GPU was the 2080ti

Yes, AMD needs more time, because their resources are limited. I hope whatever they release in March is price competitive with the RTX 3070, RTX 3060ti, & RTX 3060 cards

snip...

Yes, AMD needs more time, because their resources are limited. I hope whatever they release in March is price competitive with the RTX 3070, RTX 3060ti, & RTX 3060 cards

I don't believe it will take them to March to release GPUs. I do believe they will be of limited release though because they will be focusing on console chips and Ryzen chips since those are their big money makers. If I was Lisa I know which market I would use the bulk of my wafers on.

I don't believe it will take them to March to release GPUs. I do believe they will be of limited release though because they will be focusing on console chips and Ryzen chips since those are their big money makers. If I was Lisa I know which market I would use the bulk of my wafers on.

I think the priorities of gamers & AMD are slightly different

What gamers want:
Cheaper & Faster than nVidia

What AMD is likely to prioritise:
Costlier & Faster than nVidia

Of course there will be the cheaper cards but they will trickle down to March or June next year.

imo, What is likely this year is the $600 - $1000 cards

No

Remember, this term nVidia killer was coined 1 year ago, when the highest performing GPU was the 2080ti

Nope,
AMD doesn't get a pass if they can't release these cards by December. It being called the Nvidia Killer and only targeting the 2080ti is bullcrap. They knew the 2080ti would be replaced if that's were they targeted the performance of this line-up they should have gotten a head of all this because this press from the hype will influence the products launched negatively. The say all press is good press doesnt work in the information age. I'm buying Ampere at launch if possible and will buy a RDN2 card if they turn out to be a good performance value over the 3080. There is no need for me not have both and use whichever fits a given scenario better.

Nope,
AMD doesn't get a pass if they can't release these cards by December. It being called the Nvidia Killer and only targeting the 2080ti is bullcrap. They knew the 2080ti would be replaced if that's were they targeted the performance of this line-up they should have gotten a head of all this because this press from the hype will influence the products launched negatively. The say all press is good press doesnt work in the information age. I'm buying Ampere at launch if possible and will buy a RDN2 card if they turn out to be a good performance value over the 3080. There is no need for me not have both and use whichever fits a given scenario better.
1600121208061.png

Nope,
Yeah, targeting last generation is lame. I hope they surpass the 2080 Ti.

Yeah, targeting last generation is lame. I hope they surpass the 2080 Ti.
I really doubt AMD will put themselves in that position, they will be a laughing stock again if they cannot surpass an almost 2 year old 2080Ti. I am thinking at worse Big Navi will have 3080 performance, at best near or at 3090 performance.

I really doubt AMD will put themselves in that position, they will be a laughing stock again if they cannot surpass an almost 2 year old 2080Ti. I am thinking at worse Big Navi will have 3080 performance, at best near or at 3090 performance.
If they can compete with both Intel and NVIDIA on both fronts I'd be quite impressed.

If they can compete with both Intel and NVIDIA on both fronts I'd be quite impressed.
Well not hard to compete with Intel since lately, Intel likes to shot themselves in the foot and TSMC is executing which benefits AMD since they do not have to delay any of their product. RTG have made some pretty powerful hardware, just for the past couple of years, they were just late to the show but at least with Big Navi, they are releasing pretty much at the same time as Nvidia Ampere.

That's a good looking GPU - I'm glad they're done with the blowers. Also glad that AMD is teasing our balls with official info, I was afraid it was only going to be Youtube gossip or factory leaks until Oct 28.

I really hope this isn't the actual design otherise that card vents 100% back into the case....
Kind of only get three real choices though, right?
  • It's a blower, and exhausts outside
  • It's an AIO, and exhausts outside
  • It exhausts some, most, or all inside
At least if it's efficient at venting inside, you can give it some space and make sure internal airflow is generous, and it can at least be cooled quietly, right?

At least if it's efficient at venting inside, you can give it some space and make sure internal airflow is generous, and it can at least be cooled quietly, right?
I'm giving them their first points on the board in this gen by at least not wimping out and falling back on the ol faithful blower. What else you got AMD?

Hmm not sure how I feel about that giant R in the middle of the fans but other than that, looks nice. Two 8 pins, so at minimum, 300+ watts card?
It doesnt' even have the PCIe bracket on it.... seems like a pretty important detail for a card ;). Two 8-pins just means you can turn it up, doesn't mean it has to draw that at stock. In theory 2 8-pins is 375watts... but i've seen plenty of cards with much lower power draws include more than they needed to in order to allow overclocking.

I'm giving them their first points on the board in this gen by at least not wimping out and falling back on the ol faithful blower. What else you got AMD?
I'd like to see them continue to offer 'OEM' AIO options. Especially if they're using HBM for a consumer-facing part; give me a silent 240mm AIO with a relatively compact card and higher power limits?

> 3080 levels of performance, more VRAM, more memory bandwidth, smaller footprint, win?

well even just running the fins lengthwise down the card and keeping everything else the same would help. I get the aesthetic they were aiming for, but with this design all that is going to happen is anybody who puts it in a case capable of showing off the pretty card is going to have a big old caked on dust layer right over it. Filters be damned it is gonna happen, I have no doubt that any decent degree of case fans will vent this out so its mostly a non issue but still.... Given the hate so many AMD users have given the 3000 cards for blowing that heat back into the case why are they praising these cards for doing the same thing.

well even just running the fins lengthwise down the card and keeping everything else the same would help. I get the aesthetic they were aiming for, but with this design all that is going to happen is anybody who puts it in a case capable of showing off the pretty card is going to have a big old caked on dust layer right over it. Filters be damned it is gonna happen, I have no doubt that any decent degree of case fans will vent this out so its mostly a non issue but still.... Given the hate so many AMD users have given the 3000 cards for blowing that heat back into the case why are they praising these cards for doing the same thing.

nearly all AIB designs use this 2-3 fan open-vent design, and dust is not a significant issue because of the surface area for the fans to directly cool is quite small per fan, meaning the air is not in contact with the fins for a long time. Blower fans get REALLY bad dust because the the air is funneled down a long fin tunnel with tons of opportunities for the dust to get stuck.

Back