Configuring mail on web server

• Thread starter Deleted member 12930
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12930

I've finally decided to taking a more hands on approach to hosting my websites. I'm moving off a shared host (MediaTemple's grid service) to a VPS (linode.com). Setting up a LAMP stack isn't a problem for me. I've done it many times in the past and already have that portion up and running smoothly.

What I've never had to do myself is mail.

I don't want to actually have any mailboxes on this server though. Instead I only want aliases. I moved myself off email accounts on my domains years ago, and have successfully transferred any remaining mailboxes (clients) over to gmail accounts. So I obviously need to retain the ability to create aliases for my clients emails and any lingering email that still comes in from my old accounts.

The other aspect of mail that I'll need is to allow php to send email out - via web apps I host.

Can anyone lend a hand with what I'm looking to do? Installing postfix + dovecot or citadel or some other option seems like overkill with what I'm looking to do.

Thanks in advance!

To send mail out from PHP and such, you can either configure PHP to use an external SMTP server in the php.ini, or simply install postfix. For the aliases and such, postfix will handle that as well (/etc/aliases).

You don't need Dovecot or something like that if you don't plan to check for any incoming mail on the server.

So the easiest solution is to just install postfix and then read up on aliases using the aliases/aliases.db file. It's very easy and straightforward.

Awesome. Thanks!

Edit: wow, I have good timing. Checked for the first time a minute after your post.

Back