Configuring 5.1 speakers?

dleib

n00b
Hey Hardforum

So, I'm a relative newbie to sound configuration, which is why I turn to you to help me. I have an ASUS Xonar D1 soundcard, and logitech 5.1 G51 speakers.

Is there anything I should do when I first install my speakers and soundcard to make sure everything is set up right? I haven't been hearing the effects of 5.1 surround really.

make sure windows control panel has your speakers as 5.1, then make sure your xonar is set to 5.1 output. that should be it.

alright, i've done that. thanks. is there any way to check to make sure they're functioning correctly, because I haven't been hearing much 5.1 in games or otherwise.

Hey Hardforum

So, I'm a relative newbie to sound configuration, which is why I turn to you to help me. I have an ASUS Xonar D1 soundcard, and logitech 5.1 G51 speakers.

Is there anything I should do when I first install my speakers and soundcard to make sure everything is set up right? I haven't been hearing the effects of 5.1 surround really.

sure. what sound card do you have?

Lulzors

As for checking I suggest playing a DVD in Windows media player or a game that is known to be in 5.1 like ARMA II

Does your sound card software/drivers have some sort "channel" test? Running that would help make sure your connections and setup are correct.

The Source engine games have decent surround sound too. Give those a try. Counter-Strike Source even has a built in channel / surround sound speaker test.

Keep in mind, if you're just sending a stereo signal to your speakers, that's all you're going to hear unless you apply some sort of processing (using your sound card software) to emulate surround sound.

The Asus software should have a speaker test built in, and I'm pretty sure Win7 does as well - either of those would tell you if everything is physically set up correctly. Make sure the games are set to 5.1 (if available) also.

Back