Configure QoS for gaming on DD-WRT?

Strykar

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I have a WRT 54G running DD-WRT for my home network hosting a 10MB cable connection. I use this connection for downloading frequently, but I always throttle my speed to the neighborhood of 500kB/s to prevent ruining my roommate's online gaming experience.
However, it seems that for some reason DotA ( a popular Warcraft 3 mod) is INCREDIBLY sensitive to latency and I get complaints even with the cap on. I've forwarded the ports the game uses to connect and enabled QoS with "optimize for gaming" being checked but the complaints have not let up at all.

Can anyone help me with this situation? It's really quite irritating to get complaints when I can play TF2 without any issue at the same time.

Thanks in advance!

Any sort of downloading while gaming will most likely, make the gamer suffer. Just schedule torrenting and shit during school hours or some shit.

Also WC3 Dota is extremely sensitive to latency usually because of the way its hosted. It's hosted on someone else's internet connection, not a centralized server. So if your roommates are hosting, any sort of downloading will cause crazy lag for all players in the game.

Back