Configure a SWITCH with a VLAN that exits another network and internet

mukasi

n00b
Hi
i need a help to know what's im doing wronge
i want to connect lan cable from the switch to the router and then that vlan will have internet.
I tried some options but it didn't work
maybe u can help me :)
thank u

Untitled.png

So basically you want a separate VLAN between your router and switch and then another VLAN for your computers that is separate from the VLAN from switch to router?

What router is this?

So basically you want a separate VLAN between your router and switch and then another VLAN for your computers that is separate from the VLAN from switch to router?

What router is this?

the router is Fortigate

Several way to go about it.
1. Put one of the interfaces of the Fortigate in the same vlan shown in post #3 would be simplest method
2. Assuming the switch isn't L3 create a trunk interface on the switch and the FGT and use the FGT to route between the vlan.

Do you have access to the router? Trying to understand what the goal is here, if you just want to PC's on the same VLAN you'd have to configure the link between the switch and the router as a trunk, also the Gateway defined on the PC's needs to be configured on the router as well, you can create a sub-interface with the GW address on the router and that should do it.

Do you have access to the router? Trying to understand what the goal is here, if you just want to PC's on the same VLAN you'd have to configure the link between the switch and the router as a trunk, also the Gateway defined on the PC's needs to be configured on the router as well, you can create a sub-interface with the GW address on the router and that should do it.

how ?
to link between the switch and the router as a trunk ?

its FGT60E
When you log in to the webui look under network > interfaces do you see 4 interfaces named wan1, wan2, dmz and internal or something else?

Since this seems to be very asynchronous you can check this thread out. Should be very similar as the person is also using an hp 1900 switch.

https://forum.fortinet.com/tm.aspx?m=172889

Based on the thread so far I think you're making this too complicated and just should follow the suggestion in post 3. Worst case is that you will remove an interface from the lan switch of your FGT and use it in interface mode. This is trivial and would likely make more sense to you especially when you build the policy which you will have to do either way.

Last edited:
Back