Configuration of two HP 1810g-24, trunk, dhcp.

dakren12

n00b
I was wondering if you guys would be able to help me out. I am trying to setup a small network
For a project I’ll first go over the goal, then current equipment, and what Ive done.

Goal is to provide internet access to all, with separate between the groups. The groups are
Staff, student, multimedia team, and general use. Reason to separate them is for fileshare,
Print/scan, security. A second goal is also to provide wireless internet access to the staff group
And general usage.

So here’s the equipment I have.

2x hp 1810g-24
1x asus rt-n66u (dot1q supporting)
2x wireless access points (cisco 1231g and engenius eap150, with a dd-wrt rt-n16 as the access point manage)

Here is what I’ve tried to do..

I’ve created four additional vlans on top of the default (vlan1)
vlan10 - staff
vlan20 - student
vlan30 - multimedia team
vlan40 - general use

I then turned port 2 on switch number 1 to a trunk, and trunked it to port 1 of switch number 2.
The trunks I have them tagged on both switch.

All hosts on the network will mostly be just basic computers/laptops/printers/etc.
I’ve tried a number of methods, but can’t seem to get it to work smoothly.

I just need all the vlan’s to be able to reach port 1 of switch 1( the router)

What am I supposed to tag and untag?

Well a layer 2 switch will basically have a global gateway that applies to all VLANs. This way the switch knows to forward all VLAN's to a common gateway via whatever port you designate as the common gateway, i.e. the one your router is plugged into.

On the router you are going to have to setup virtual ethernet connections each identified within it's respective vlan. The virtual interfaces are what allows your limited 1 router port to communicate with all 4 vlans on one phys ethernet connection.

You may not be able to do this with the default Asus firmware but in DDWRT reflashed onto it you should be able to.

I am not sure if like Cisco the HP supports smart communications between switches about VLANs, but you are going to have to tell switch #2 what the VLAN config is also.

Also VLAN tagging is required when sending packets between 2 or more switches.

ya what ^ said, u need a layer 3 device to do routing between vlans. So either a l3 switch or setup router on a stick. In your case you would need to setup the asus router with multiple virtual interfaces 1 per vlan

thanks for your replies guys.

Do you guys have any recommendations for a low cost L3 router? I have two 1810g-24 ports switches already, can't budget out for an additional L3 switch..

u can use your asus rt-n66u, not sure if the asus software can do what's needed but wrt or tomato both can.
If you want cheap l3 device cisco 3550 switch is great way to go, u can get one on ebay for less than $100

I actually have 2 spare 3550s so if you want to pick 1 up pm me

I'd recommend grabbing a L2+ switch instead of a L3 switch since you only have 4 VLANs. The Cisco 2960S can have 8 static routes. Netgear also has a few L2+ switches that have static routing. Not sure about HP and Dell, but you'll save a lot of money if you avoid the full-blown L3 bells and whistles.

To the post above, the 3550 is a 100mbit switch. He's probably looking for Gigabit.

HP has the V1910s that have static routing and are decently cheap(24port is around $400). I'd look at DDWRT or Tomato first though on your router.

I'd recommend grabbing a L2+ switch instead of a L3 switch since you only have 4 VLANs. The Cisco 2960S can have 8 static routes. Netgear also has a few L2+ switches that have static routing. Not sure about HP and Dell, but you'll save a lot of money if you avoid the full-blown L3 bells and whistles.

To the post above, the 3550 is a 100mbit switch. He's probably looking for Gigabit.

yes the 3550 is a 100mb but you can get 1gb uplinks on it, he doesn't have to use the other ports for anything. A single 1gb connections is all that is required for the switch to do the routing. And at the price 3550s sell on ebay it's a lot more affordable than 1910 or any other L2+ switch, not to mention the 3550 is a full blow L3 device so you get a lot more than simple static routing.
Also there is a model with PoE and 100mb is perfect for wifi Aps, cameras and other PoE devices.

Back