Confessions of a Custom Mechanical Keyboard Obsessive

I'm currently using a mechanical keyboard, thought I'd give one a try before making up my mind. A Rosewell apollo model.

(https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201064)

I have to be honest, I don't see the big deal personally, but I can understand the draw for some.

The pros:
- Higher quality of construction, I like that part very much.
- The LED lighting is not over the top in the model I have, helps me see clearly in the dark and pressing special keys (Caps etc) turns strong indicators on, very clear and pleasant to see to me.

The cons:
- Distracting key noise.
- There's this obsession with shrinking the edges too much, not much room for grabbing the keyboard firmly in your hand. I like a keyboard with a decent edge of plastic to hold on to without ending up with pressed keys.
- Springy behavior sometimes causes unintended button presses when you put the thing down, and the prior size shrink problem makes things worse.
- Much heavier than a normal keyboard. I can pick it up with one hand but it's less comfortable and, again, with the "smaller keyboard footprint" trend it's hard to do so without pressing buttons.

When this keyboard dies I'm going to go back to regular keyboards and just look for one that has the pros listed, should be much cheaper without the drawbacks of small size obsession and heavy weight.

To each his own and you gotta try before you know whether it's for you or not.

Last edited:
They can have my mechanical keyboard when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Still using an IBM PS2 mechanical keyboard from the early 90's, and I still have a couple spares sitting in my closet :eek:
Love the positive feedback when typing and the hefty 5 pound weight.
Every few years I pull off the key caps and clean them - looks like new again.

Meanwhile other family members have gone through multiple keyboards over the same time.

Was happy to see the motherboard I put in my latest build still had a PS2 connector.

The problem with membrane keyboards is that no one is trying to make really high quality versions of them. All the R&D is going into mechanical keyboards. I have a mechanical now primarily because of the extra function keys and illuminated keys, I don't consider the typing to be significantly better because of the mechanical switches. Also it ghosts occasionally, which my last membrane keyboard never did. If I could get another of my last membrane keyboard, I would, but they went out of production ~ 10 years ago.

I'll be honest, I just recently picked up my first mechanical keyboard (Corsair Gaming K70 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - Blue LED - Cherry MX Red Switches) from Newegg and I have to say it's going to take some time getting used to using one again. Last mechanical keyboard I actively used was the one that came with an old IBM PS/2 machine. I decided after ruining Logitech 510 (which I guess I was okay after all) that I wanted to see what all the hype was about.

The problem with membrane keyboards is that no one is trying to make really high quality versions of them. All the R&D is going into mechanical keyboards. I have a mechanical now primarily because of the extra function keys and illuminated keys, I don't consider the typing to be significantly better because of the mechanical switches. Also it ghosts occasionally, which my last membrane keyboard never did. If I could get another of my last membrane keyboard, I would, but they went out of production ~ 10 years ago.

The quality of a membrane doesn't matter. The membrane still always provides a sub-par typing experience.

I'm a big fan of Cherry MX Red and Brown switches. For typing I love the feel and feedback from the Brown switches, although the Reds feel really good for typing too. Browns have a bit of a click to them, but I don't find 'em to be loud or annoying. I find Reds better for gaming though (Browns aren't bad for that either). They activate before bottoming out, and they have a short travel distance, which comes in really handy for doing things like double-tap dodging in UT2K4 and UT3. I like the smooth linear feel with no click, and the low actuation force. Reds feels very good over long play sessions. They've been a blessing on my poor old fingers and their crackly joints, thanks to their lighter feel. My fingers need less effort to type. Been a wondrous experience playing fast-paced FPS games like Quake 3 and Doom 4 on a K70, and every day my fingers feel so much better than they used to when I was typing on my membrane-based Logitech G15 daily (original model, which I used from mid 2006 until early 2016). Red switches are really only as loud as you want them to be. If I go lighter on the keys with my fingers as I type, the sound softens up, and overall typing gets quieter. I also like how the feel of mechanical switches stays consistent over time. Keycaps are very easy and quick to remove. I'd love to try Cherry MX Silver/Speed switches, which have even shorter travel distance and quicker activation than the Reds. When I got the K70 with the MX Reds, my typing speed went up, but my typo rate went way up. Took months to get used typing on Reds (actually more like the better part of a year). I find the tactile feel of Browns improves my overall typing experience without reducing my accuracy, but these Reds switches, good lawdy my fingers fly on them, hence the increase in typos and spelling errors. My brother had one of the older DAS Keyboards with the all-black blank face with no printed characters, and the keys divided into different zones that each required different actuation forces. That thing was a dream to use too.

I've been waiting a long time for a Wireless Ergonomic Mechanical keyboard. Still haven't seen one of those. If anyone could build one of those, I'd pay dearly for it.
I've been waiting a long time for backlit ergo keyboard. For now, you'll have to pry my MS Natural 4000 out of my cold dead hands...but make one with a backlit/LED keyboard and I'd pay dearly for that. Why the hell is it so hard to find a mechanical or backlit ergo keyboard? You'd think MS would have come up with one by now by copying the very popular 4000.

I'm not really into the whole custom key color patterns and whatnot, but I've built my own keyboard using my laser cutter, soldered the switches into a matrix, and modified some firmware to give me what I want (layers, hotkeys, ect). I actually desoldered an old cherry keyboard to get a whole set of mx blacks instead of buying new. I found it to be a fun experience and I learned quite a bit about keyboards work. If anything it's just a cool project that ends up being quite addicting when you realize the possibilities of making one yourself.

When they make good wireless mechanical keyboards I will finally get one.

I use a mechanical keyboard (CompuAdd-branded Model M) because I like the sound and feel. Mine sounds very much like the hacking mini-game in Fallout (which was probably a recording of a Model M)

I play a lot of FPS games using keyboard and mouse, and even after many years of use, the WASD keys are still just as crisp and responsive as the never-used F12 key.

For sheer durability, nothing beats an original Model M, they just never wear out. Even when they get dirty you just pull the caps off the keys and wash the caps.

It's almost like IBM designed a keyboard to last forever.

At the risk of getting bashed and laughed at, I will take this opportunity to admit that I don’t fully understand what the appeal of a mechanical keyboard is. I imagine that most of these tend to have better build quality than your generic, off-the-shelf membrane/dome/scissor-switch keyboard, but that noise. And that increased key travel distance. These are the exact qualities that I purposely avoid in a keyboard. Now, I realize that my opinion may sound particularly dumb in the context of this article, which is all about how mechanical keyboards can be customized to someone’s liking—but my general experience with these keyboards is that they are loud and “slower” than what I’m comfortable with (flat, scissor switch). Any of you mechanical guys want to school me, or is this really just a preference thing?

I was in the market for a new mechanical keyboard a few years ago, and during my research I stumbled on the custom mechanical keyboard community. Mech enthusiasts are consumed by custom boards with unusual layouts, exotic switches, and fancy keycaps—and they'll often spend ludicrous amounts of money on things you or I might consider silly… at first. This is a niche hobby that can hook you, and once it does, won't let go. Before I knew it, I'd spent nearly $1,000 on multiple boards and keysets, started modifying switches, and even picked up soldering again to build my own keyboards. The high cost started to seem less obscene as I realized I could create a board that was perfectly tailored to my needs.

You have no idea what you are missing.

Rubber dome switches are horrid. Once you get used to a good mechanical keyboard, you will hate typing on rubber dome keyboards.

I think it's all preferences. I can type around 80-100 wpm and that doesn't really change between membrane keyboards and mechanical keyboards. Now if it's a chicklet style, that kills my typing. I prefer mechanical keyboards, cause the keys are solid and don't wiggle around like a membrane keyboard.

At the risk of getting bashed and laughed at, I will take this opportunity to admit that I don’t fully understand what the appeal of a mechanical keyboard is. I imagine that most of these tend to have better build quality than your generic, off-the-shelf membrane/dome/scissor-switch keyboard, but that noise. And that increased key travel distance. These are the exact qualities that I purposely avoid in a keyboard. Now, I realize that my opinion may sound particularly dumb in the context of this article, which is all about how mechanical keyboards can be customized to someone’s liking—but my general experience with these keyboards is that they are loud and “slower” than what I’m comfortable with (flat, scissor switch). Any of you mechanical guys want to school me, or is this really just a preference thing?

I was in the market for a new mechanical keyboard a few years ago, and during my research I stumbled on the custom mechanical keyboard community. Mech enthusiasts are consumed by custom boards with unusual layouts, exotic switches, and fancy keycaps—and they'll often spend ludicrous amounts of money on things you or I might consider silly… at first. This is a niche hobby that can hook you, and once it does, won't let go. Before I knew it, I'd spent nearly $1,000 on multiple boards and keysets, started modifying switches, and even picked up soldering again to build my own keyboards. The high cost started to seem less obscene as I realized I could create a board that was perfectly tailored to my needs.

People express doubts about crack too, but just try it and soon you won't be able to stay away.

Reactions: File
like this
I'm a big fan of Cherry MX Red and Brown switches. For typing I love the feel and feedback from the Brown switches, although the Reds feel really good for typing too. Browns have a bit of a click to them, but I don't find 'em to be loud or annoying. I find Reds better for gaming though (Browns aren't bad for that either). They activate before bottoming out, and they have a short travel distance, which comes in really handy for doing things like double-tap dodging in UT2K4 and UT3. I like the smooth linear feel with no click, and the low actuation force. Reds feels very good over long play sessions. They've been a blessing on my poor old fingers and their crackly joints, thanks to their lighter feel. My fingers need less effort to type. Been a wondrous experience playing fast-paced FPS games like Quake 3 and Doom 4 on a K70, and every day my fingers feel so much better than they used to when I was typing on my membrane-based Logitech G15 daily (original model, which I used from mid 2006 until early 2016). Red switches are really only as loud as you want them to be. If I go lighter on the keys with my fingers as I type, the sound softens up, and overall typing gets quieter. I also like how the feel of mechanical switches stays consistent over time. Keycaps are very easy and quick to remove. I'd love to try Cherry MX Silver/Speed switches, which have even shorter travel distance and quicker activation than the Reds. When I got the K70 with the MX Reds, my typing speed went up, but my typo rate went way up. Took months to get used typing on Reds (actually more like the better part of a year). I find the tactile feel of Browns improves my overall typing experience without reducing my accuracy, but these Reds switches, good lawdy my fingers fly on them, hence the increase in typos and spelling errors. My brother had one of the older DAS Keyboards with the all-black blank face with no printed characters, and the keys divided into different zones that each required different actuation forces. That thing was a dream to use too.

I type a lot. So for me, typing is primary over gaming. Between my various jobs, lengthy posts, review articles and regular tasks I probably type more in a year than most people do in three. I'm on my computer for 12-20 hours a lot of the time with minimal breaks for going to the bathroom or eating meals. This doesn't happen every day, but it happens a lot of days.

All mechanical switches have activation points that occur before bottoming out the keys. All of the keyboards are really the same for gaming when you get down to it. I understand complaints about the noise on some keyboards or with some switch types. Aside from that they are all equally good for gaming as far as I'm concerned. None of them really provides an improvement over membranes aside from the experience being more enjoyable. Actuation force requirements changes the experience in subtle ways. This is why switches with different configurations have a market. I've probably got a strange set of preferences with regard to switches. I like the Cherry MX Black switch or the Cherry MX Blues. I can't stand the Reds because they are too light. It feels like the keys activate just by looking at them. The blacks at least require some force to depress them. The linear keystroke makes for a nice experience and they are relatively quiet. I do not like the tactile bump in the browns because there is no sound to go with it. I'll take browns over a lot of switch options, but they are definitely one of my least favorites in the Cherry MX switch family. I've never used clears but the Greens are pretty nice. I prefer the Blues over the greens but the difference is minor to me.

I've owned and tried a number of different keyboards over the years. I had a Deck Ice Legend for a couple of years and really liked it. That unit used Cherry MX Black keys which were much better than membrane options. Back in those days we didn't have the myriad of mechanical keyboards available today. After I found out about it, I grabbed Das Keyboard. In regard to pure typing experience, Das Keyboard with Cherry MX Blues reigns supreme. I'm not certain what it is about that unit that made it work so well compared to other keyboards with similar switches. When the keycaps wore out on it I switched to a Razer Black Widow Ultimate which I ditched after a couple of days. I gave that one to my girlfriend. She's still using it to this day. I also have a Coolermaster Quickfire Rapid on my test bench which works really well. I couldn't use it on my gaming rig because I can't stand the lack of a number pad. The next board I tried was the Ducky Shine Zero. This is a good feeling unit, but not quite as nice as Das Keyboard. The lighting isn't really all that good as its uneven as hell. My Deck Ice Legend suffered from the same problem but at least the key caps were first rate. The Ducky Shine Zero's key caps started showing visible wear in a few weeks time. Das Keyboard took longer, but it showed excessive wear in a year or so.

The next keyboard I grabbed was the Corsair K70 Lux (red backlight) with Cherry MX Blue switches. After experiencing a number of firmware issues with it I almost chucked the damn thing in the trash. I loved the build quality and the design of it. The back lighting is superb and it has a feel when typing that's as close to Das Keyboard as I've found so far. Unfortunately, the key caps aren't the best. They are on par with Das Keyboard and superior to the ones on my Ducky Shine Zero. They pale in comparison to the longevity of the Deck key caps. Had my Deck been offered in Cherry MX Blues I'd probably still be using it. I like the tactile feel and the sound that goes with the Blues. I don't care if I'm gaming or typing. It's my preferred switch at the moment. Romer G's are OK, but they don't feel as good as the Cherry options to me. The one I tried had switches similar to Reds from what I recall. I also hate Logitech's key cap design. It would take me forever to get used to that. This was my impression from seeing one of these at my local Best Buy.

I also tried a Topre Realforce based unit. I hated it. Everyone at the time seemed to act as though the Topre switches were the cream of the crop and I just didn't feel that way. The quality of the board was undeniable until I started typing on it. I just can't stand those switches. Thankfully I got that keyboard for free or I'd be pissed off as they are $200.

Unfortunately, I have the itch to upgrade my keyboard but I don't think any good options exist for me. I rather like the backlighting aesthetically speaking. Sadly, I can't seem to find a good RGB backlit keyboard with Cherry MX Blues that doesn't have volume dials, macro keys, or other bullshit on them. I don't want any of that crap. I appreciate the fact that the Ducky Shine 6 and Deck offerings have Cherry MX keys above the number pad for these functions over stupid dials and other gimmicks but I'd rather not have those. I'd like key caps that don't wear out in 3 days but I suppose I'm asking too much. I don't want USB ports, microphone ports, extra keys, dials, screens, oddball shaped key caps, built in wrist rests, huge casings, or some 10-key less design either.

I type a lot. So for me, typing is primary over gaming. Between my various jobs, lengthy posts, review articles and regular tasks I probably type more in a year than most people do in three. I'm on my computer for 12-20 hours a lot of the time with minimal breaks for going to the bathroom or eating meals. This doesn't happen every day, but it happens a lot of days.

All mechanical switches have activation points that occur before bottoming out the keys. All of the keyboards are really the same for gaming when you get down to it. I understand complaints about the noise on some keyboards or with some switch types. Aside from that they are all equally good for gaming as far as I'm concerned. None of them really provides an improvement over membranes aside from the experience being more enjoyable. Actuation force requirements changes the experience in subtle ways. This is why switches with different configurations have a market. I've probably got a strange set of preferences with regard to switches. I like the Cherry MX Black switch or the Cherry MX Blues. I can't stand the Reds because they are too light. It feels like the keys activate just by looking at them. The blacks at least require some force to depress them. The linear keystroke makes for a nice experience and they are relatively quiet. I do not like the tactile bump in the browns because there is no sound to go with it. I'll take browns over a lot of switch options, but they are definitely one of my least favorites in the Cherry MX switch family. I've never used clears but the Greens are pretty nice. I prefer the Blues over the greens but the difference is minor to me.

I've owned and tried a number of different keyboards over the years. I had a Deck Ice Legend for a couple of years and really liked it. That unit used Cherry MX Black keys which were much better than membrane options. Back in those days we didn't have the myriad of mechanical keyboards available today. After I found out about it, I grabbed Das Keyboard. In regard to pure typing experience, Das Keyboard with Cherry MX Blues reigns supreme. I'm not certain what it is about that unit that made it work so well compared to other keyboards with similar switches. When the keycaps wore out on it I switched to a Razer Black Widow Ultimate which I ditched after a couple of days. I gave that one to my girlfriend. She's still using it to this day. I also have a Coolermaster Quickfire Rapid on my test bench which works really well. I couldn't use it on my gaming rig because I can't stand the lack of a number pad. The next board I tried was the Ducky Shine Zero. This is a good feeling unit, but not quite as nice as Das Keyboard. The lighting isn't really all that good as its uneven as hell. My Deck Ice Legend suffered from the same problem but at least the key caps were first rate. The Ducky Shine Zero's key caps started showing visible wear in a few weeks time. Das Keyboard took longer, but it showed excessive wear in a year or so.

The next keyboard I grabbed was the Corsair K70 Lux (red backlight) with Cherry MX Blue switches. After experiencing a number of firmware issues with it I almost chucked the damn thing in the trash. I loved the build quality and the design of it. The back lighting is superb and it has a feel when typing that's as close to Das Keyboard as I've found so far. Unfortunately, the key caps aren't the best. They are on par with Das Keyboard and superior to the ones on my Ducky Shine Zero. They pale in comparison to the longevity of the Deck key caps. Had my Deck been offered in Cherry MX Blues I'd probably still be using it. I like the tactile feel and the sound that goes with the Blues. I don't care if I'm gaming or typing. It's my preferred switch at the moment. Romer G's are OK, but they don't feel as good as the Cherry options to me. The one I tried had switches similar to Reds from what I recall. I also hate Logitech's key cap design. It would take me forever to get used to that. This was my impression from seeing one of these at my local Best Buy.

I also tried a Topre Realforce based unit. I hated it. Everyone at the time seemed to act as though the Topre switches were the cream of the crop and I just didn't feel that way. The quality of the board was undeniable until I started typing on it. I just can't stand those switches. Thankfully I got that keyboard for free or I'd be pissed off as they are $200.

Unfortunately, I have the itch to upgrade my keyboard but I don't think any good options exist for me. I rather like the backlighting aesthetically speaking. Sadly, I can't seem to find a good RGB backlit keyboard with Cherry MX Blues that doesn't have volume dials, macro keys, or other bullshit on them. I don't want any of that crap. I appreciate the fact that the Ducky Shine 6 and Deck offerings have Cherry MX keys above the number pad for these functions over stupid dials and other gimmicks but I'd rather not have those. I'd like key caps that don't wear out in 3 days but I suppose I'm asking too much. I don't want USB ports, microphone ports, extra keys, dials, screens, oddball shaped key caps, built in wrist rests, huge casings, or some 10-key less design either.

Sounds to me like you might like the Corsair Strafe RGB with MX Blue switches.
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/strafe-rgb-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-cherry-mx-blue

The wrist rest is not built in and although it does have a USB passthrough, the keyboard itself is nothing crazy.

The keycaps are not that well built though, so you would probably want to get a nice set of doubleshot PBT keycaps for it.
A decent number of sets are available on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...&_nkw=double+shot+pbt+keycap+backlit&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/61-87-104-P...hash=item3611057aca:m:mQZPafziWJw3sl6gGLk19TQ
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Translucent...193802?hash=item5d69b16c4a:g:a1cAAOSw8w1X~dmY
http://www.ebay.com/itm/104-PBT-Dou...hash=item36106de7d5:m:mX9xfkyAtHG_gR01TvrkKIg
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Doyu-Black-...496250?hash=item41b475d87a:g:idkAAOSwpLNX7ihj

Or how about this super plain RGB keyboard with MX Blue switches:
https://www.amazon.com/Double-Shot-...&sr=8-1&keywords=pbt+double+shot+backlit&th=1

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I bought a g910 spectrum and tbh the mechanical switches on that are no different from using a normal membrane type of keyboard, well atleast no difference that I can spot in either tactile feedback or noise.

If anything, their might even be a slight decrease in noise from my previous board to that which was a g19s and which was a rubber dome/membrane type board, but it had loud keys so my buddies kept saying as they could hear it over my mic.

The Corsair Strafe isn't as well built as the K70 from what I can see. I like that it has fewer media keys but it still has them. It's not close enough to what I want to switch from the K70. The second one is the same as the Ducky Shine. It has those bullshit media keys above the number pad. I don't want those at all. I want 104 keys. No more, no less.

Last edited:
It feels like the keys activate just by looking at them
HAHAHAHA it really does feel that way a lot of the time, with those MX Reds. Can't even lightly rest my fingers on them cuz they are bound to activate, even when I don't think they will.

I do not like the tactile bump in the browns because there is no sound to go with it.
Yeah I know several people who feel that way, I can see where you're coming from, but yeah it's never really bothered me.

I couldn't use it on my gaming rig because I can't stand the lack of a number pad.
Typing, gaming, whatever; just for general computer usage, I can't stand to not have a numpad, so I feel yah on that.

The next keyboard I grabbed was the Corsair K70 Lux (red backlight) with Cherry MX Blue switches. After experiencing a number of firmware issues with it I almost chucked the damn thing in the trash.
Every Corsair mechanical keyboard that I've owned or used over the last few years has had firmware issues, and the same goes for my friends, and some of my clients that I've built systems for. Over time some issues get ironed out or subdued, but in general they can be quite annoying and a real pain in the ass, or even stop the keyboard from functioning at all. All of the keyboards were pretty shiesty out of the box, and after firmware updates they became better behaved, but in general when it comes to the firmware of their keyboards, I don't expect much from Corsair. I'm not surprised in the least that firmware issues made you almost toss out that K70 Lux. I got a client who is real fucking happy with the K70 Lux though (MX Browns on that one), no gaming whatsoever, just uses his PC primarily for office work, taxes, and listening to music. He loves the build quality and design of the K70 Lux. I always did like the build quality of various K70s over the past few years (and how easy they are to clean).

I also hate Logitech's key cap design. It would take me forever to get used to that.
Gonna have to agree with your there. I got a friend who owns a few Logitech mechanical keyboards and I cannot stand the keycaps.

Awesome build quality, terrible typing feel huh? I gotta admit I'm not familiar with Topre switches. Doesn't sound like I should be going out of my way to check 'em out though. Yeah $200 for a board you can't stand to type on, I woulda been pissed too.

Between my various jobs, lengthy posts, review articles and regular tasks I probably type more in a year than most people do in three. I'm on my computer for 12-20 hours a lot of the time with minimal breaks for going to the bathroom or eating meals. This doesn't happen every day, but it happens a lot of days.
Yeah man, you definitely put in the typing time, that's for damn sure, thanks for sharing your personal experience and knowledge with using various mechanical keyboards and switches. I hear from a lot of people who uses MX Blues, but I almost never run into people who have used the Blacks, so it was interesting hearing your thoughts about them. Never been a fan of Razer's mechanical keyboards. I knew a few homeys that use Ducky keyboards and most of them have good things to say about them. I imagine that for someone who types as much as you do, lower-quality keycaps are definitely gonna wear out all the sooner. Gawd damn though, the keycaps on the Deck Ice Legend sound robust as fuck.

I like the tactile feedback feeling of a mechanical keyboard when I am typing. I am a programmer and do a lot of typing.

I feel like I can tell when a key is struck better and am slightly faster at typing, but of course, this is only a feeling.

I don't care about the mechanical keyboard when gaming; whatever keyboard is fine.

EDIT: I use Rosewill RK-9000 with MX blues at work. Been working 10/10 for three years or so.

Unicomp UB4044A at home. If you like the Model M, the Unicomp is an exact copy.

I used to have Unicomp UB4044A at work, but I killed it with a cup of coffee! I was sad.

Last edited:

Since I can't count fancy RGB lighting as R&D. There is no great effort to remake the keyboard unless you count touch screen keyboards and alternate input methods like voice recognition. That is your R&D for keyboards, it's going into replacing them with something entirely different.

I bought a g910 spectrum and tbh the mechanical switches on that are no different from using a normal membrane type of keyboard, well atleast no difference that I can spot in either tactile feedback or noise.

If anything, their might even be a slight decrease in noise from my previous board to that which was a g19s and which was a rubber dome/membrane type board, but it had loud keys so my buddies kept saying as they could hear it over my mic.

The g910 spectrum uses a Logitech Romer G switch. This makes it hard to place your experience in comparison to using boards with cherry-mx style switches. They are both mechanically actuated but the feel and response are surely different. Additionally the Romer G switch uses a unique switch stem resulting in incompatibility with the variety of keycaps for the cherry-mx style switches.

You're experiencing a mechanical keyboard, but only a small subset of the MK community can relate with you.

The g910 spectrum uses a Logitech Romer G switch. This makes it hard to place your experience in comparison to using boards with cherry-mx style switches. They are both mechanically actuated but the feel and response are surely different. Additionally the Romer G switch uses a unique switch stem resulting in incompatibility with the variety of keycaps for the cherry-mx style switches.

You're experiencing a mechanical keyboard, but only a small subset of the MK community can relate with you.

I thought when I ordered the board that I would feel and hear each key go click when pressed, but nope, I was kinda miffed about that as I wanted to feel the very slight click. Undoubtably their will be a difference between the different makes of switches, maybe next board I get will have some version of cherry mx ones

The build quality of the g910 orion spectrum is great, you can tell that its been built good and it is also very heavy compared to a normal board.

The caps on it are just like normal caps, I think others are maybe thinking about the g910 orion spark keyboard when they mentioned hating the caps, which is basically exactly the same keyboard as mine but they have weird ass looking caps that have dodgy angles on them and it looks very uncomfortable to type on. the orion spectrum has normal ones just like any normal board.

The only reason I bought this board was because i was using the g19s before and I liked the small lcd panel on it, the leds on the keyboard stopped working and I got a refund because they couldnt find a replacement and since I couldnt find a keyboard with a screen attached the next best thing was one that allowed me to use my iphone and ipad as a screen via logitech app and it sits in a pullout dock at the back of the keyboard.

Very nice keyboard but whether mechanical switch junkies would like the feel of the keys i have no idea.

Just to add, the romer g switches on this board activate with very little travel of the key, basically if your fingers are resting on the keys as soon as you start to push the key down it basically activates, so maybe thats why i dont feel the click as it has a very short travel activation and your initial push of the fingers distracts you from feeling the click since its over with as soon as you start.

Last edited by a moderator:
After buying my CM Storm Quickfire TK, I will never go back to a membrane keyboard. Membranes feel okay at first, but the feel quality drops very quickly from use. My mechanical keyboard, however, still feels great after 2+ years.

Dan_D
https://www.amazon.com/Noppoo-84-Te...384&sr=8-3-fkmr1&keywords=Noppoo+Choc+Mini-2M
I've had this keyboard for years now. If you can live tenkeyless the blues on this keyboard have been absolutely awesome.

dkapke
Currently there isn't an Ergonomic Wireless Mechanical keyboard in existence anywhere /Sigh. Aside from the Noppoo at work, I use a Kensis Advantage as my daily driver at the house.

Looking for RGB back lighting, and it needs to have a number pad.

I don't get the comments about wanting wireless keyboards. What's the point? Do you move your keyboard around that much? I never do. I get the desire for wireless mice, but I've never cared about it with keyboards.

Looking for RGB back lighting, and it needs to have a number pad.

I don't get the comments about wanting wireless keyboards. What's the point? Do you move your keyboard around that much? I never do. I get the desire for wireless mice, but I've never cared about it with keyboards.

Maybe the guys who use 4K TVs for primary displays, I can see the computer closer to the display and quite a ways out there from the desk ind input devices. Wireless might be more important with that kind of set up.

Maybe the guys who use 4K TVs for primary displays, I can see the computer closer to the display quite a ways out there from the desk ind input devices. Wireless might be more important with that kind of set up.

I'm using a 49" 4K TV as my only display and I never sit back from it. The text would be too small if I did.

I'm using a 49" 4K TV as my only display and I never sit back from it. The text would be too small if I did.

You still use text ? :LOL::ROFLMAO:

All my computer feedback is generated by;

http://feelreal.com/smells

Bad news smells bad :stinkyfeet:

Good news smells good :angelic:

Everything kinky smells like ....... well you know what kinky smells like right :troll:

And everything else smells like :chicken:

Dan_D My entire HTPC and Gaming experience at home is based around my Lazy Boy Recliner. That's why I want a Wireless Ergonomic keyboard with a reverse incline. The wire sure gets in the way of the experience. I want it Mechanical because the user experience is just so much nicer. Membrane is just not worth it.

Also I'm using a projector at 1080p at 100" for my display.

The Corsair Strafe isn't as well built as the K70 from what I can see. I like that it has fewer media keys but it still has them. It's not close enough to what I want to switch from the K70. The second one is the same as the Ducky Shine. It has those bullshit media keys above the number pad. I don't want those at all. I want 104 keys. No more, no less.

I present to you, the Rosewill RK-9000V2
http://www.rosewill.com/gaming-prod...ue-backlit-rgb-led.html#product_tabs_Overview

https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Mechanical-Keyboard-Switches-RK-9000V2/dp/B01N0OE3YT?th=1

I think this one fits your specifications perfectly.

Blue RGB switches, 104 keys, no media keys, no usb, audio, etc.... just 104 keys.

Edit: looks like it can do media control.. but through the regular keys.

NickJames, if you are looking for an easy way to transition out of your hobby .... well they say that the best way to ruin a hobby is to turn it into work. Have you considered building custom keyboards for people?

I can think of a potential customer or two (y)

Ha, I wish it was easy. Gathering the parts to put these things together is not fun. If even one cut is off by a millimeter then the whole thing is ruined. Right now I am waiting a replacement plate as we speak for a board I have been trying to put together for the last 4 months. Not to mention group buys on keycaps can take anywhere from 6 months or even years. I know of some people still waiting for orders they placed 3 years ago..

Ha, I wish it was easy. Gathering the parts to put these things together is not fun. If even one cut is off by a millimeter then the whole thing is ruined. Right now I am waiting a replacement plate as we speak for a board I have been trying to put together for the last 4 months. Not to mention group buys on keycaps can take anywhere from 6 months or even years. I know of some people still waiting for orders they placed 3 years ago..

I seem to remember a company or two out there that will build custom mechanicals. Maybe I'll check them out. I suppose the real problem is that I know what I want, but I don't know what I want, if that makes any sense.

I could tell you that I used to use a super thin Logitech membrane keyboard and really liked that low profile and the short throw on the keys. It was like typing on a decent laptop keyboard. If I could get something like that with blended with the mechanical I think I would be headed in the right direction.

Can't I get low profile mechanical clicky that feels clicky, even if it doesn't sound clicky ?

Most of the time I only need WASD anyway.

I seem to remember a company or two out there that will build custom mechanicals. Maybe I'll check them out. I suppose the real problem is that I know what I want, but I don't know what I want, if that makes any sense.

I could tell you that I used to use a super thin Logitech membrane keyboard and really liked that low profile and the short throw on the keys. It was like typing on a decent laptop keyboard. If I could get something like that with blended with the mechanical I think I would be headed in the right direction.

Can't I get low profile mechanical clicky that feels clicky, even if it doesn't sound clicky ?

Most of the time I only need WASD anyway.

WASDKeyboards has plenty of options for mechanical style switches and even custom keycaps. Not sure about low profile switches, the best I can tell you would be DSA keycaps. They're the lowest profile keycaps I have used. As for clicky without being clicky sounding, that's Cherry Browns or Cherry Clears. Browns have a small bumpy feeling while clears have a slightly click feeling bump. The next step beyond that are the custom ordered Purple Zealios switches which are like Clears but with an even bumpier click.

My DSA keycap board from 3 months ago.

HA5nDbW.jpg

I present to you, the Rosewill RK-9000V2
http://www.rosewill.com/gaming-prod...ue-backlit-rgb-led.html#product_tabs_Overview

https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Mechanical-Keyboard-Switches-RK-9000V2/dp/B01N0OE3YT?th=1

I think this one fits your specifications perfectly.

Blue RGB switches, 104 keys, no media keys, no usb, audio, etc.... just 104 keys.

Edit: looks like it can do media control.. but through the regular keys.

I figured it I laid out my desires someone would know if something was made that fit my requirements. That sounds like it might be what I'm looking for.

Dan_D My entire HTPC and Gaming experience at home is based around my Lazy Boy Recliner. That's why I want a Wireless Ergonomic keyboard with a reverse incline. The wire sure gets in the way of the experience. I want it Mechanical because the user experience is just so much nicer. Membrane is just not worth it.

Also I'm using a projector at 1080p at 100" for my display.

That makes sense I guess. Though I think you are definitely in the minority as far as that type of configuration goes.

My first and only mechanical so far is a Rosewill with reds. Having no previous experience with mechanicals I fell in love with it. It's 10keyless (after i adjusted to it I don't miss the number pad). I love the sound and feel of the keys.

My only complaint is the backlight stopped working.

I'm sure I'll eventually replace it with something a little better quality (keys tend to stick a tiny bit or they double/triple press (output more than once).

The cons:
- Distracting key noise.

I don't find the noise distracting. I rather enjoy it. Others may not like it but not all switch types are necessarily noisy. You can also get O-rings to dampen the noise on other models if you like.

- There's this obsession with shrinking the edges too much, not much room for grabbing the keyboard firmly in your hand. I like a keyboard with a decent edge of plastic to hold on to without ending up with pressed keys.

This is one of the comments I've understood the least. How often do you need to grab the keyboard? How often do you need to grab the keyboard where pressing the keys would even be a concern?

- Springy behavior sometimes causes unintended button presses when you put the thing down, and the prior size shrink problem makes things worse.

This makes no sense to me. In over two decades of working on computers professionally, and longer with the hobby I've never had these issues.

- Much heavier than a normal keyboard. I can pick it up with one hand but it's less comfortable and, again, with the "smaller keyboard footprint" trend it's hard to do so without pressing buttons.

Might I suggest a gym membership if the keyboard weight is a problem? Again why are you lifting your keyboard so much while it's in use that this is a problem? I'm not trying to be a dick but the bulk of your post made no sense to me.

Much heavier than a normal keyboard. I can pick it up with one hand but it's less comfortable and, again, with the "smaller keyboard footprint" trend it's hard to do so without pressing buttons.

I always considered the dual purpose Keyboard / Home Defense Weapon of my IBM Model M's to be a benefit, not a drawback. :p

WASDKeyboards has plenty of options for mechanical style switches and even custom keycaps. Not sure about low profile switches, the best I can tell you would be DSA keycaps. They're the lowest profile keycaps I have used. As for clicky without being clicky sounding, that's Cherry Browns or Cherry Clears. Browns have a small bumpy feeling while clears have a slightly click feeling bump. The next step beyond that are the custom ordered Purple Zealios switches which are like Clears but with an even bumpier click.

My DSA keycap board from 3 months ago.

HA5nDbW.jpg

Thanx NickJames, I was looking before I read this and spotted a site that sells these;

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/code-keyboard/code-87-key-mechanical-keyboard.html

I am thinking this would be a good start. A few keycaps and a cord and I am probably close enough to good to be happy.

Thanx NickJames, I was looking before I read this and spotted a site that sells these;

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/code-keyboard/code-87-key-mechanical-keyboard.html

I am thinking this would be a good start. A few keycaps and a cord and I am probably close enough to good to be happy.

I am sure you'll love it, Clears are probably my favorite switch now after trying nearly everything else. Aside from silenced Topres they're the quietest switches around. Also keycaps do A LOT to reduce noise levels so definitely look into those just be careful and don't dive into the keycap market too hard. I jumped in about a year ago and already down about over a grand in caps lol.. help me..

Back