Concert Venues Use Facial Recognition to Identify Stalkers and VIPs

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Concert venues and organizers are turning to facial recognition solutions to identify security threats such as stalkers and important individuals who are to be treated as VIPs. Taylor Swift fans were unknowingly scanned at a kiosk that displayed rehearsal clips of the star at her Rose Bowl performance this year. The facial recognition software was able to identify potential security threats by sending images of concertgoers to a "Nashville "command post" where they were cross-referenced with a database of hundreds of the pop star's known stalkers." Ticketmaster has invested in facial recognition technology to scan concertgoers for the purpose of identifying VIPs and high rollers who will be able to pay a fee to avoid waiting in line at the turnstiles.

"Everybody who went by would stop and stare at it, and the software would start working," says Downing, who attended the concert to witness a demo of the system as a guest of the company that manufactures the kiosks. Earlier this year, Ticketmaster invested in Blink Identity, a startup that claims its sensors can identify people walking past at full speed in about half a second. "It holds a lot of promise," says Justin Burleigh, Ticketmaster's chief product officer, adding that the company plans to beta-test the tech at venues early next year. "We're just being very careful about where and how we implement it."

I'm torn about this. Because this is on private property I think they may have legitimate right to do this. But I'm concerned about a facial recognition database being kept anywhere. That shit could get out there against the will of some people, just like passwords, except you can change passwords...

I suspect this will likely end up being security theatre really though. Just like the TSA.

One thing I think would be reasonable is making a requirement that you be made aware of this security facet BEFORE you buy your ticket. In clear language (not like a ToS).

And, of course, they do not ask for your permission to do this, nor post anything to warn you about it being done. Nah.

As a child I was told of the horror stories of how people in Russia were scrutinized to the point of having cameras in their own homes. How people had to be careful with what they said or risk being arrested. Well, here we are.

next up..tied into facebook and twitter, where as you enter and they scan your ticket, a pic is taken and a post to facebook and twitter is sent telling everyone YOU.. are at said concert

I'm torn about this. Because this is on private property I think they may have legitimate right to do this. But I'm concerned about a facial recognition database being kept anywhere. That shit could get out there against the will of some people, just like passwords, except you can change passwords...

I suspect this will likely end up being security theatre really though. Just like the TSA.

One thing I think would be reasonable is making a requirement that you be made aware of this security facet BEFORE you buy your ticket. In clear language (not like a ToS).

I mean you could change your appearance. It would be painful, leave you scared and disfigured for the rest of your life... but you could do it. Bet you Mason Verger post Hannibal wouldn't be detected he same by a database lookup as pre Hannibal would.

And, of course, they do not ask for your permission to do this, nor post anything to warn you about it being done. Nah.

As a child I was told of the horror stories of how people in Russia were scrutinized to the point of having cameras in their own homes. How people had to be careful with what they said or risk being arrested. Well, here we are.

Im not really pleased my cellphone is always listening. But that's whats required these days..

This. I'd have no problem if attendees are told about this beforehand. Preferably before completing the purchase of the respective tickets.

I guess it is time to wear Juggalo face paint to all concerts. I really don't like this biometric collection being done without notice at the very least.

Worst facial recognition ever. At minimum, half those people going to a Taylor Swift concert should have been flagged as security threats. Not to mention, Ms. Swift herself is a huge threat to the ears and minds of American citizens, but she uses photo-optic camouflage make-up so this tech is largely useless against her. /s

This coupled with the Forbes report on using 3D printed heads to fool facial recognition equals this probably isn't going to end well.

Plus doesn't VIP pretty much equal Stalker according to #metoo?

Wonder if the tickets will start to include liability disclaimers in the case someone is denied entrance due to a false positive match from the stalker list?

Well, so long as we all feel safe. You guys *do* feel safe now, right?

I'm pretty sure there was a story about a group that could print convincing enough masks to pick up as someone else with these type of devices. This is going to be just secure enough that it wreaks havoc once it's profitable to exploit it.

Do you get a re-do date as an apology if they mistake you for a stalker and kick you out of the concert? or at least free accomodations, flights and VIP tickets for another concert on the same tour or next tour for the last show of a tour? If so, this doesn't seem so bad. If not....

Are retailers using facial recognition yet? Identify known shoplifters/bad check writers (still a thing??)/etc.
I saw a demo about 5 years ago from a major retailer using something like Google Glass for their employees. It identified the name of the customer and could even give special instructions. I really don't want retail people knowing my name. I want to go in, buy whatever it is I'm after, and get out. (This is if Amazon doesn't carry it and I have to go into the real world...)

Until people start boycotting going to places that do this crap, it's only going to get worse.

I'm expecting it to get a lot worse o_O

Back