Concerning the AOTS image quality controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you dont have solid specs yet which is why you led me to a google search result.

why is amd using an intel processor to show off their new video card? am i the only one concerned about this? why couldnt they have zen or something?

Because its not a Zen Demo...When showing GPUs why care about the CPU?
We all know current Intel Procs are faster...

I clearly said we know it's coming from leaks. Duh-Doh!
I clearly asked for specs....

The moment ppl laugh about AMD failing is when I know they probably are a little biased. No neutral party would want either AMD or Nvidia to fail. Its a depressing thought to be honest.

To be honest, at this point I'd rather AMD dies and someone decent come along, pick up the IPs and fuck with both Intel and NVIDIA. Samsung would be ideal since they have inhouse fab capability that's close to Intel, and also have an ecosystem that Intel can only dream about. Instead of ARM they can be using custom AMD chips across their whole range of products, from SmartTV to phones to tablets, all markets where they have a solid foothold while both NVIDIA and Intel are struggling to just enter.

Scrap the AMD brand and go with a Samsung brand, along with new products.

To be honest, at this point I'd rather AMD dies and someone decent come along, pick up the IPs and fuck with both Intel and NVIDIA. Samsung would be ideal since they have inhouse fab capability that's close to Intel, and also have an ecosystem that Intel can only dream about. Instead of ARM they can be using custom AMD chips across their whole range of products, from SmartTV to phones to tablets, all markets where they have a solid foothold while both NVIDIA and Intel are struggling to just enter.

Scrap the AMD brand and go with a Samsung brand, along with new products.
While I see the benefit, I worry that they would just buy the IP and bow out the race entirely. Though chances are they might compete, who knows really.

Because its not a Zen Demo...When showing GPUs why care about the CPU?
We all know current Intel Procs are faster...

I clearly asked for specs....

Well amd does make processors you would think they wouldn't go out and use the other guys product for their own demo. Even if the other guy makes a better product.

Well amd does make processors you would think they wouldn't go out and use the other guys product for their own demo. Even if the other guy makes a better product.
I hear this brought up like every time.
If you want to demo a GPU and show it at its best then you will support it with the best hardware you can. Is that so friggin hard to grasp?

Told you, I like shooting down fanboi bullshit. It's like skeet shooting. Only easier.

I'd rather hold off and buy the GTX 1060 for that price when its out; seeing as $199 has always been the x60 part's price range, and we know the part is coming from the manufacturing/GP106 chip leaks.

Will most likely deliver the same performance at lower power than the 480 based on how Nvidia parts compare to AMD parts.

He would rather buy a card that doesn't yet exist thinking it would be better.

He would rather buy a card that doesn't yet exist thinking it would be better.
I will let you look at my posts. But I have clearly stated im going to be buying two of the 480Xs and a single 1080 for my main rig. If you cant see the value in the 480 then its because you are actively trying to not see value in it.

I will let you look at my posts. But I have clearly stated im going to be buying two of the 480Xs and a single 1080 for my main rig. If you cant see the value in the 480 then its because you are actively trying to not see value in it.

I would see the value if it were only going to be the only $200 card from this gen in the market. But it won't be. We know GP106 is coming, we can extrapolate from the 1070 and 1080 performance where its performance will lie. And $200 has always been the x60 part's bracket.

Or, if we were looking at it in a world where only AMD cards exist, but it isn't.

People like you seem to want to ignore those factors.

I hear this brought up like every time.
If you want to demo a GPU and show it at its best then you will support it with the best hardware you can. Is that so friggin hard to grasp?

Pretty much, if they wont believe in their own products why should i? Such a fail in my eyes. Guess they are counting on everyone being cheap asses and buying their shit.

I would see the value if it were only going to be the only $200 card from this gen in the market. But it won't be. We know GP106 is coming, we can extrapolate from the 1070 and 1080 performance where its performance will lie. And $200 has always been the x60 part's bracket.

Or, if we were looking at it in a world where only AMD cards exist, but it isn't.

People like you seem to want to ignore those factors.
I mean until you can tell me the specs of the 1060 then you cannot just guess how fast the 1060 will be. And midrange GPUs are all different. The idea that they always replace the old high end is not exactly accurate.
So when you can list some specs ill listen but so far you cannot.

Kyle, look, we all get it in terms of AotS being more of a glorified bench than an actual game people are playing. You don't need to keep beating people over the head with it.

At the same time, it also is the closest we have to a true representation of an Async Shader game, so until a better representation comes along, people are going to continue to use it.

Or to put it another way, it's like using a rock to pound a nail instead of a hammer, because you don't have a hammer. Its less than ideal, but it is what you have. And thus until you can get a proper hammer, you use the rock. And sure, you can mock people who are using the rock, but all that really matters is this: were you able to drive in the nail?

Fixed your post. Async Shader/Compute is not synomous with "DX12" gaming. You can have a fully implemented DX12 game that does not utilize Async Shaders/Compute. Async Shaders/Compute is an optional feature, not part of the DX12 spec. Just making the clarification. Too many times people are combining the two and declaring Async is what makes a DX12 game a "true" DX12 game, and that isn't true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back