Concerned temps for X3220 at stock

freeze888

n00b
Hi,

I just completed my build with the following parts on my sig and right now I'm running Prime95 (version 2) at stock for initial stability test. After 7 hours during the test, core temp (version 0.94 beta) is reading my temps:
Core#0: 66 C
Core#1: 65 C
Core#2: 61 C
Core#3: 61 C

The ultra 120 extreme heatsink is parallel with the PCIE slots and I wanted to know how much thermal paste am I suppose to put on? I am using arctic silver 5 and followed the instructions on their website by applying it horizontally. Question is, am I suppose to put a thin strip or a thick strip?

I plan to overclock this chip to 3.6 GHz @ 400 x 9 however these initial temps are starting to worry me.

Thanks

Hi,

I just completed my build with the following parts on my sig and right now I'm running Prime95 (version 2) at stock for initial stability test. After 7 hours during the test, core temp (version 0.94 beta) is reading my temps:
Core#0: 66 C
Core#1: 65 C
Core#2: 61 C
Core#3: 61 C

The ultra 120 extreme heatsink is parallel with the PCIE slots and I wanted to know how much thermal paste am I suppose to put on? I am using arctic silver 5 and followed the instructions on their website by applying it horizontally. Question is, am I suppose to put a thin strip or a thick strip?

I plan to overclock this chip to 3.6 GHz @ 400 x 9 however these initial temps are starting to worry me.

Thanks

Short Answer: Thin Strip (paper thin strip, like to the point where you can almost see through it)

This is most definitely a "too much thermal paste" issue. Try reapplying the paste and check your temperatures. If it's still high then keep reapplying until you get it right :)

Back