Concern over heatsink weight on X79 motherboard.

I have a P9X79 Deluxe mobo and am concerned over the weight of a NH-D14 or Phanteks PH-TC14PE. Considering that most X79 boards do not use a reinforcing back plate, is there a possibility of damage to the ILM over a extended period of time due to the weight of very large dual tower heat sinks?

As long as everything is screwed down properly (heat sink to motherboard and motherboard to standoffs) it will be fine. I suppose it could get damaged if there was a lot of motion, say you dropped it or something.

I know of some people that would tie floss to the cooler and the top of the case to provide extra support.

The way the S2011 mounts the HS to the board, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

The fact that the HS actually screws into the mount is pretty stable, compared to the usual hole placed in the MB.

I have a Rampage IV Formula and if I'm not mistaken, the back of the mount is solid metal, meaning you don't need a backplate.:D

I have an NH-D14 on my ASROCK board. It has been there since the first day I set this system up. You have nothing to worry about unless you are going to be driving your computer around on bumpy roads all the time.

Deep Cool Assasin ia another monster dual tower cooler. With good mounting hardware should not be a problem for stationary rigs. I too would be leery traving to LAN Parties though.

the cpu retention bracket seems to be much stronger than traditional backplate mounting methods, dont worry.

Back