Computers not showing up

Panmaster

Limp Gawd
I need help.:(

All the computers have just disappeared from "Network" in Windows 7.
It won't even show itself.

It only shows the router and if I click on the router it says "It is not possible to disconnect at this time. The connection is currently busy with a connect/disconnect operation."

My downstairs computer sees my main system and its shared files no problem. This makes no sense whatsoever.

Restarting the router, disconnecting/reconnecting the network adapter in Windows, restarting the system, running sfc to find corrupt files - all had no effect.

I'm thinking Windows 7 must be corrupt somehow and it's related to a very unlikely co-incidental crash of a game that never crashed before.

Are the other computers wired or wireless connected to your router?

Have you tried turning off Windows Firewall (or whatever software firewall you might be running)?

Wired and I've made no changes.

Firewall always disabled but ruled out since the problem occurred without change and the other PC can access the files on this PC.

I've never had a problem like this in 3 years.

It's unlikely to be file corruption as I ran Prime95 overnight and everything has only ever been at stock.

The only remaining possibility is a virus as I've noticed .exe's keep getting corrupted on my storage drive. If nothing is found I'll have to reformat. Again.

I guess you could still have disk corruption even with a stable CPU. Like if there was a power surge, or the HDD is misbehaving/going bad. Have you run chkdsk flagged with /r?

Though corrupted .exe's is a notorious indication of being infected with malware.

This one sounds like a bit of a mystery to me.

Go to Network and Sharing center, Advanced sharing, and look at the locations and make sure network discovery is on.

Also check the status of the "Computer Browser" service.

Go to Network and Sharing center, Advanced sharing, and look at the locations and make sure network discovery is on.

Also check the status of the "Computer Browser" service.

can you ping the pcs name that aren't showing up?

Back