Computers in a Bakery trying to keep flour out

AnNiMosSiTY

Limp Gawd
I have an unusual problem. I work for a bakery and we have about 50 PC's in the plant and outer offices. Well the problem is we go through truckloads of flour a day and it gets everywhere. This causes problems for the pcs, keyboards monitors etc..

Has anyone been in a similar situation and come up with a decent solution/preventive measures for something like this?

Another question is what is the best way to clean out a cpu thats riddled with flour dust? I use an air compressor mainly with little pressure. Is there anything else that I could use maybe rubbing alcohol on the ram contacts CPU seal etc..?

Thanks in advance,

i deal with this same issue in a similiar way

we sell cctv systems, and alot of them are in warehouses, construction sites, and they get dust/dirt etc in them (had one next to a chicken frier and it had grease and sick shit in it)

only solutions is cover the intakes with pantyhose, or a dust filter...and stress the importance of maintinence and cleaning the systems on a regular monthly schedule or weekly if the buildup is that bad

any other input from people?

If they get THAT dirty have 2 systems setup already previously so that you can do monthly maintenance on time and instead of having down time you can simply replace one with a backup one that you have ready for that area and then you can clean the system out if they get that bad.

Other thing you can do is make a cabinet for the machines with fans blowing air OUT of the cabinets to help keep the computers clean.

Pantyhose will work well or something similar as a filter.

i would use cabinets and use passive heatsinks, less moving parts= less problems with dust, however you will still need to clean off the heatsinks just less regularly then the ones with moving parts.

For keyboards, I know there are keyboard skins and covers that you leave on while you type that protect them.

Well for CCTV systems I would always put them in a lockbox or cabinet, to keep prying hands out...
I do a lot of sound work and dust is a problem. I try to have fans in the rack if I can. I do telephone work too, and I hear horror stories about the phones in pizza shops.

Low power systems (athlon x2 BE, solid state hdd's, etc), with a fanless case.

Low power systems (athlon x2 BE, solid state hdd's, etc), with a fanless case.

Hes not asking for a new pc let alone one that will cost mad cash, hes asking for measures to keep the flour out.

Filters (panty hose) over the intakes should help quite a bit. You could get some furnace filters and cut them to place over the intakes its a little more heavy duty but is a little more work.

panty hose stretch pretty well, so you can probably put a panty hose over the whole PC with cut outs for connections.:p

Panty hose as others suggested. Don't stretch it to much or flour will go right through.
I have used cutout cardboard squares with a hole for air covered in panyhose as a easy replaceable filter. When it gets gunked up take it out and blow it off. If you can't wedge them in place you can glue cheap magnets from a HW store to the cardboard for metal contact. Use small magnets and it won't muck up your computer. Just don't rub floppy diskcs or Zip drives on em :)

Plastic keyboard covers are the ticket there. Same for mice.

On monitors I had that issue in a book warehouse. Dust everywhere. Best thing we did cheap and easy was rig up cardboard that sat over the monitors about 1-2 inches up. It gave enough room for ventelation, but the dust mostly settled ontop of the board not in the monitor. That was with CRT monitors. You could probably fashin something to clamp on a LCD for the same effect.

A little more work, but any equipment with fans needs more air blowing in then out. Panty hose filter the intakes and the positive pressure inside will keep small particals from setteling out. It will also insure air is blown out of openings in the equipment not sucking unfiltered air in. I do the imbalanced air flow on all PCs I build. Makes a HUGE difference in dust. Reversing the direction of a fan or two and placing filters isn't so bad on labor if you do it the next time you clean each equipment piece.

Back