Computers Don't Have A Sense Of Humor

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to researchers at MIT, computers have mastered just about everything except how to tell a joke.

In recent months, artificial-intelligence researchers have made giant strides in matching human performance in all kind of tasks that had, until recently, been thought of as almost impossible for computers. Things like face and object recognition, for example. But there are some areas that are still hugely difficult for machines to grasp, and humor is one of them.

36acr7.jpg

Boom...

Maybe computers can have a cue light that can turn on to let us know when it's joking? That way we can also use it to help us find our way back to a space ship after it blows us out the airlock.

Mastering humor may or may not be a good thing. Yeah it could prevent judgement day, but at the same time I don't want my computer to give me search results for midgets and mayonaise when I'm looking up something else.

At least we don't have to worry about them laughing at us while we are being terminated.

AI is as big an oxymoron as MI...;) Computers don't "think" about anything--they only do what they are told (programmed) to do--they are exactly as sentient as the rock in your driveway or the light switch on your wall, and equally intelligent. Just like computers can be made to mimic intelligence by their programmers, they can also be made to tell jokes, too. But in either case the intelligence is 100% in the mind of the programmer and not in the computer. Garbage in, garbage out: that's what computers are and it is all they can ever be. All else is pure sci-fi.

I disagree. My computer laughs everytime I try to do too much at once and then just sits there until I get an angry face and then it continues working.

Just like computers can be made to mimic intelligence by their programmers, they can also be made to tell jokes, too. But in either case the intelligence is 100% in the mind of the programmer and not in the computer.

So what you are saying is that programmers don't have a sense of humor :)

Before computers can have a sense of anything, of any emotion, it must first be self-aware.

Skynet anyone?

It doesn't get pissed off, it's doesn't get happy or get sad or laugh at your jokes, IT JUST RUNS PROGRAM!.

AI is as big an oxymoron as MI...;) Computers don't "think" about anything--they only do what they are told (programmed) to do--they are exactly as sentient as the rock in your driveway or the light switch on your wall, and equally intelligent. Just like computers can be made to mimic intelligence by their programmers, they can also be made to tell jokes, too. But in either case the intelligence is 100% in the mind of the programmer and not in the computer. Garbage in, garbage out: that's what computers are and it is all they can ever be. All else is pure sci-fi.

I agree although I'm sure algorithms are being programmed adaptive, interdependent and complex, which is why it looks like ohh ahh. I think what is happening with this 'AI' is kind of like the game of life, with one or 2 rules this complex light show can occur, so I guess they build all this complex algorithms and get useful "lightshows" so to speak, you know a computer than can carry a conversations and crap like that. Not saying its not impressive, I still cant call it "AI" either.

Back