Computers and Tech Gadgets Robbing Us of Sleep

HardOCP News

[H] News
Sleep is so overrated, who needs that crap anywayzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Nearly two-thirds of Americans say they're not getting enough sleep and late-night computer use, texting and video games are a significant part of the problem, according to a national survey released today.

It doesn't help that all these modern conveniences STILL havn't reduced our work days or made life any easier. We're working more hours than ever (or none at all if you are unlucky), for far less pay, and desperately need some decompression time. When does that happen? Late at night.

If it wasn't computers... I'd be losing sleep to reading a good book. It's a matter of priorities and sanity.

A bad back and having to piss every 2 hours don't help LOL

For you young whippersnappers... Just wait. Your time is coming :)

It takes responsibility even to play video games. I know I can be counted inside those who used to stay up late at night. About machines not making our lives any easier you can easily see it is ourselves who make our lives complicated. Not matter what we have we always figure out a way to make things difficult. Very few people have the guts and the willingness to make their lives easy.
It's a question of really asking ourselves, What do we want?

I've been deprived of sleep all my life because of games and pc's, damn them things! :p

For me, it's between Restart and Hibernate. ;)

Sometimes I wish I had a hibernate setting... :D

...and late-night computer use, texting and video games are a significant part of the problem....

I enjoy how people will often take the devices we choose to use, and make them the problem for our bad decisions. As someone who games a little bit to relax each night (hey, some people drink a beer every night, I do a little gaming every night), I know that I and I alone am responsible for my years of sleep deprivation. If it isn't going to be games, it's going to be something else. Let's face it - many of us just simply want to get the most out of our day and out of our entertainment. Stop blaming something else for my bad decisions! If you're going to blame something for my bad behaviors, blame me! :D

Heh, I never sleep anyways, so computers give me something to do while I am awake :p

Sometimes I wish I had a hibernate setting... :D

I enjoy how people will often take the devices we choose to use, and make them the problem for our bad decisions. As someone who games a little bit to relax each night (hey, some people drink a beer every night, I do a little gaming every night), I know that I and I alone am responsible for my years of sleep deprivation. If it isn't going to be games, it's going to be something else. Let's face it - many of us just simply want to get the most out of our day and out of our entertainment. Stop blaming something else for my bad decisions! If you're going to blame something for my bad behaviors, blame me! :D

I guess its not good that a drink beer and game every night....

Just kidding.

I heard this on the news when i was at lunch. Which made me wonder, if they are claiming that the light from devices are keeping you awake, are they saying that every night you need to sit in a dark room before trying to go to bed?

Which made me wonder, if they are claiming that the light from devices are keeping you awake, are they saying that every night you need to sit in a dark room before trying to go to bed?

They're referring to bright light, as in sunlight (ex: Alaska) or areas/rooms that are filled with bright lamps.

I definitely notice that if I am on my computer past 11PM that I will have a harder time falling asleep or I will go to bed at a much later time.

I try to exercise an hour or two before hitting the sack and drink a non-caffeinated, non-alcoholic beverage thereafter.

Not gonna lie. When it comes to going to bed at night the first thing i do is check reddit for something i may have missed in the 10 minutes since i stopped looking. This usually lasts a good half hour until i'm satisfied and then i check my email which usually ends up with me wasting another half hour talking shit about nothing worthwhile till i decide to really go to bed. At which time i HAVE to watch at least an hour of video on my phone in bed before i actually go to sleep. But then i anticipate this and plan to go to sleep 2 hours before i actually do.

I tell myself to go to bed at 8, end up going to bed at 9, watch video till 10. Get up at 6. Full 8 hours kip with plenty of time for all the bullshit beforehand.

Sleep is a waste of time. Think of it this way: If you live to be 75, and you sleep an average of 8 hours a day, by then you'll have ended up sleeping 25 years of your life away. This is a classic "quantity vs. quality" choice, but I'd rather be a little tired than waste a third of my life lying in the bed.

(Then again, I do make it up with 12+ hour binge-sleeping on my off days, so...)

It doesn't help that all these modern conveniences STILL havn't reduced our work days or made life any easier. We're working more hours than ever (or none at all if you are unlucky), for far less pay, and desperately need some decompression time. When does that happen? Late at night.

If it wasn't computers... I'd be losing sleep to reading a good book. It's a matter of priorities and sanity.

Negotiate an hourly rate.

Fuck salary.

Best move I ever made.

Want to sleep? Just watch a movie on PC or any show on television while sitting comfortably after surfing the 'net for hours. Works for me.

Is this another of those no shit studies that need never have been studied in the first place? what's next not breathing deprives people of oxygen? working deprives you of the ability to lay around all day? Next up... water... it's WET!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Some of us do know where the off switch is, and when to push it. I'm off to sleep right now as it is. If I don't get enough sleep I tend to be even more crabby than usual. I have to live with myself so I try not to be any more crabby than I have to be. It makes me unpleasant to deal with, and I'd rather not deal with an unpleasant crabby Phoenix first thing in the morning. That just makes me downright grouchy, and dealing with a grouchy Phoenix is even more unpleasant than dealing with a crabby Phoenix. I'd rather not deal with either.

Yeah sux. I have to force myself to turn off at 11 to get up at 5am. Sux having to go to work too BTW.

They're referring to bright light, as in sunlight (ex: Alaska) or areas/rooms that are filled with bright lamps.

I definitely notice that if I am on my computer past 11PM that I will have a harder time falling asleep or I will go to bed at a much later time.

I try to exercise an hour or two before hitting the sack and drink a non-caffeinated, non-alcoholic beverage thereafter.

If your cellphone fills a room with bright light like the sun you might want to turn your brightness down a little. ;)

Cannot sleep or the creepers will get me

squats and oats FTW

On the topic of sleep, an acquaintance told me someone he knew was on 2-3 hours of sleep per night for a couple years while working full time and going to school full time. After the guy took his last final exam, as he walked downstairs, he sat down and went to sleep right there. His friends tried to wake him up and he wouldn't. He was hospitalized and in a coma. He woke up a week later and asked what happened. Basically, his body shut down (other than the vitals) b/c it needed the rest otherwise he was going to die. The circuit breaker for his body. Scary.

On the topic of sleep, an acquaintance told me someone he knew was on 2-3 hours of sleep per night for a couple years while working full time and going to school full time. After the guy took his last final exam, as he walked downstairs, he sat down and went to sleep right there. His friends tried to wake him up and he wouldn't. He was hospitalized and in a coma. He woke up a week later and asked what happened. Basically, his body shut down (other than the vitals) b/c it needed the rest otherwise he was going to die. The circuit breaker for his body. Scary.

:eek:

Enertron.JPG

Funny, I usually get about 8 to 9 hours of sleep. And the onlything that keeps me awake is shit on my mind...so of course I am going to get on the computer if I can't sleep...usually a little while later ill go to sleep again...

This coming from someone who would only get 6 hours of sleep and spend the rest of it on world of warcraft for years.

But, at least I get friday-sunday to waste away.

What about computers and tech gadgets robbing companies of employee productivity? :D

you try to get and extra hour of sleep at night and i bet you'll miss out on the tech news.

i totally missed out on intel's sandy bridge issue.
darn i missed out on comedy central's logo change too and can you believe i noticed that.

Every three days I sleep for up to 6 hours so I have my cocaine habit under control.
My computer isn't the problem either because I sold it to buy more coc.

Got to go, the guys coming back to his laptop at Borders

Back