Computer won't stay powered off

TheGooch69

Gawd
Build in sig but here's a summary:

Windows 7 64x RC1
E8500 CPU
ASUS P-5Q E
Xfire Radeon 4850

An out of the blue problem, whenever I try to shut down my computer or put it in sleep mode, it'll just fire right back up. It'll go through the shut down process, power off for a second, and then immediately fire back on. However, if I hold down the power button on the computer, it will stay off. Only when I try to shut down through Windows 7 does it fire back up.

I updated my mobo's BIOS to latest version and that didn't help. The only thing I can think of is there's a device in my device manager that is turning the computer back on, however this has only started a week ago so if this was the case wouldn't it have always been doing this?

Any help is much appreciated!

Are you sure you're shutting down? :p Check in your BIOS and make sure nothing is set to power on your system aside from the power button.

Someone probably put one of those trick PSUs into your case. you know like the candles that re-light.

Someone probably put one of those trick PSUs into your case. you know like the candles that re-light.

If it was only that easy :p

But I checked my BIOS settings and couldn't find anything there that would indicate doing this. Any other suggestions?

I was running Vista 64x prior to upgrading to Windows 7 64x RC1. I have no doubt it's an issue with Windows 7 but it's very odd because when I first upgraded I didn't have this problem. It just spurred up out of the blue last week.

I did google this and found that many people with ASUS mobos and windows 7 have a problem were the computer won't fully shut down or reboot, it'll hang and never finish the process. That's not exactly but it's a similar type of problem.

Back