Computer won't sleep (Vista) - instead goes to login screen.

Le037

Limp Gawd
A few days ago out of nowhere I tried to sleep my computer and instead it just locked and went to the login screen. It keeps doing it. Really weird. Does anyone have an idea how I can fix this?

Do you have a second system on a network by any chance?
I have two with mapped network drives and they keep each other awake.

In order to stop my PC from waking from sleep automatically, I had to stop the network card's ability to wake my PC from sleep.

Control Panel > System > Hardware/Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your network adapter > Properties > Power Management tab > Untick "Allow this device to wake the computer"

:p

Thx for the answers guys. Sadly it's none of those two problems. I don't have any mapped drives, neither is that "Allow this device to wake the computer" box ticked. Any other ideas?

As another step, though it probably won't help, you can disable the "Allow this device to wake the computer" on both those devices. Should be listed under Keyboards in Device Manager.

Trying to remember steps I took to diagnose the last time this happened.

Check your BIOS, see what sleep state it's set to. Will either be Automatic, S1, S2, S3, STR or POS. S3 or STR are the preferred choices. Also, check to make sure "Restore Power on AC Loss" is set to Off.

Turn off your screensaver, simply have it so that the Monitor turns off after 15 minutes or so.

My Vista box has not done the Sleep thing properly in about 6 months, one of the patches broke it.

I had a similar issue a week or two ago, when my system went to sleep it stayed there for a few seconds then powered back up again when it used to sleep just fine.

Fixed it by recreating the power plan.

Where do you find this "Multimedia Settings" ?

Sorry, that link wasn't too specific. >.<

Click the start menu and type ""power options" in the search bar. When the Power Options entry comes up, click on it. Whatever power plan is currently selected (usually the 'Balanced' plan) click "Change Plan Settings", then click "Change Advanced power settings". This will bring up a dialog box with a list of multiple options that you can tweak for your current power plan. Scroll down the list until you see "Multimedia Settings" and click on the [+] button to expand it. There should an option there stating "When sharing media" with two sub-options, one for battery and one for plugged in. Make sure that both of those are set to "Allow the computer to sleep".

NOTE: I am basing these directions off of the Windows 7 power options but I don't think it's that much different in Vista. HTH

Hmm I did the Multimedia settings thing but it was already set to Allow computer to sleep. Now I do remember Windows media player asking me if I wanted to share media and me clicking yes. How do I change that?

Hmm I did the Multimedia settings thing but it was already set to Allow computer to sleep. Now I do remember Windows media player asking me if I wanted to share media and me clicking yes. How do I change that?

How do I turn on media sharing?

Click the arrow below the Library tab, and then click Media Sharing.

In the Media Sharing dialog box, select the Share my media to check box.

In the list of devices below the Share my media to check box, select a device.

Do one of the following:
&#8226;

If you want to share your media with the computer or device you have selected, click Allow.
&#8226;

If you don't want to share your media with the computer or device you have selected, click Deny.

Though that might not work as well as this method

http://www.technipages.com/windows-media-player-enabling-share-my-media-does-nothing.html

Google is good

Last edited:
Thx syndicated I used the info on the link to turn it off and it worked. I'd lost hope already.

Back