Computer won't resume from sleep/hibernate...

Blakestr

[H]ard|Gawd
Apologies if this is a software issue...(bios settings would still be technically hardware right?)

I have an old desktop I built (check sig I think) in 2008. Formatted, fresh win 7 install, drivers, etc.

However, it never seems to resume from sleep or hibernate accurately...I have to actually turn off and kill power to entire power supply. Then it comes back and says "resuming windows" like it is coming back from hibernate mode. (Strange because I used sleep when I shut down windows)

Here are the bios settings I have related to power:

• Suspend Mode [Auto] - I think I tried both S1 (Pos) and S3 only ...could be wrong though. Repost Video on S3 Resume - [Yes]
  • ACPI 2.0 Support [Disabled]
  • ACPI APIC Support [Enabled]
  • APM Configuration
  • Restore on AC Power Loss [ Power Off] (before it kept powering back on EVERY TIME even if I shut down, killing power to power supply was the only way to keep the damn thing off)
  • Power On by... external modems, PCI Devices, PCIEDevices, PS/2 Keyboard all on (with spare bar for keyboard...is it a probably I'm using usb connection for keyboard)
  • Energy Star 4.0C Support [Disabled]

All my USB Functions are enabled including Legacy USB Support .... any ideas? I've been using a Sager Laptop for a few years and it's time I fix this issue.

Last edited:
Sorry for the bump but is this the right subforum? It's been a few days, I feel like I am in the wrong subject but wasn't sure where bios power settings should be...

Click on start button and to the search typr "device manager" and enter. Take a look if there are devices with "!" (exclamation point), if there are, try to find and install drivers. If your so confident that this is a bios issue, try resetting bios to optimal settings.

I believe ACPI 2.0 support is required for power saving features in Windows 7 to work properly, including Sleep and Hibernate. So try turning that on in the BIOS.

I would also turn off all the "Power On" options except for the keyboard ones.

You can also try forcing the Suspend Mode to S3, though "Auto" (S1 & S3) should work.

Check to see if your BIOS has an ultra-low standby power state and disable it. This option will not provide enough power to the USB ports to be able to detect input if your computer is sleeping.

"Resuming Windows" after power is disconnected happens if you suspended using Hibernate, as this saves the state of the computer to the hard drive instead of in RAM.

The only thing else I notice is "Energy Star 4.0 Compliant." I have that disabled because when I did some research I noticed it seemed to cause more problems and not save much power.

I couldn't find a low powered or ultra power saving mode in my BIOS, at least in the power settings...

Back