Computer won't reformat

Stuh505

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I've decided to reformat. Backed up all my stuff. Tried restarting with XP cd...it does not boot from the CD. Also when I boot up, there is no informational screen...it goes from black to loading windows XP progress bar. Tried hitting keys like F1 etc to try to abort windows loading but didnt work.

In windows, tried using format c:, as well as formatting by right clicking on C drive. It always says that it cant format because it cannot dismount the things using the drive. I have unplugged everything except for my keyboard and mouse and booted in diagnostic mode -- still says it cant format.

Help?

You need to get into your BIOS, set the cdrom to boot before the hard drive, then boot from the Win XP CD and reformat from windows setup.

That's what I wa trying to do, but I dont know how to get into my BIOS because theres no waiting period or anything when I boot up the computer to press any special keys

Unplug something like the hard drive or floppy to try to get an error message. Also 'delete' and F2 are common keys to get into the BIOS.

Ok, Ive got it now. What I had to do is this:

1 - had to press the del key rapidly when I start up(only had about a half second interval and i kept missing it)

2 - had to change boot order

3 - had to turn off silent boot and fast boot

4 - restarted and pressed a ley

Back