computer won't go into sleep mode on it's own

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by grit, Dec 5, 2008.

1. grit

grit Limp Gawd

I can't get windows to go to sleep on its own, per settings under power management. It will sleep just fine if I put it that way manually, and it wakes out of sleep just fine. In fact, my Windows Home Server wakes it up to run backups every night. The problem is, my computer won't put itself back to sleep.

No password required after coming out of sleep.

I have very little software installed... NOD32 EVEREST ultimate 4.6, WoW, BlackBerry desktop (set not to come on unless I start it), TuneUp Utilities, and drivers for my logitech mouse and microsoft keyboard.

I've had all these, except the blackberry software, installed in the past without trouble. The blackberry is powered off and the related software is shut down when all this happens, so I'm thinking its NOT the blackberry.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Windows Vista Business edition, SP1
    Asus P5Q-Deluxe mobo
    EVGA GeForce GTX260 GPU
    Creative X-Fi PCIe sound card

2. Demon10000

Demon10000 [H]ardness Supreme

Sounds like you've got some USB or Network activity that is preventing it from going to sleep.

Any errors or messages in the event logs?

3. grit

grit Limp Gawd

I should have looked. Yes, the bluetooth adapter. I didn't use to have problems, but that was before I went to 64 bit. I'll pull it and see what happens.

4. H-street

H-street [H]ardness Supreme

i'm interested to hear how this works out, both my computers at home have the same problem..

if i manual sleep them it works great, but they won't sleep on their own..

kindof irritating..

mine are 32 and 64bit vista

5. grit

grit Limp Gawd

Welp, Bluetooth was it. I pulled the bluetooth adaper and bingo, all works as it should.

So, the question of the day - is this Microsoft's bluetooth driver? I didn't install any drivers using a CD when I plugged it in. I just let Vista install the MS driver. Is it the bluetooth hardare? It's an old susteen bluetooth adapter that was part of a "DataPilot" software kit for editing/backing up cell phone data. Would a more reputable manufacture's bluetooth play better with powersaving settings?

Thanks a ton for pointing me in the right direction.

- Garrett