Computer woes (kinda long, but please help if you have time)

U HAX0R

Gawd
Hello,

So it's been a terrible week hardware wise for me and now I just want to make sure I diagnosed everything correctly.

I ordered a Corsair H100 (and some fans) earlier this week, installed it on my previous (more on that later) motherboard, an Intel DX58SO, I had some troubles with capacitors too close to the socket so the heatsink was actually at a 90 degree angle. I had to re-seat the heatsink a couple times so the thermal paste was unevenly applied and my temps weren't too great. At the same time I realized the fans I bought were loud so I ordered a Scythe Kaze and some Arctic MX-4.

So here I was removing the CPU from the socket, it slipped from my hand and the corner of the CPU landed on some pins and bent (possibly broke) some. Shit. I tried to unbend them and what not, no dice so I went to a computer parts shop close-by and bought a Gigabyte GA-X58-USB3.

After putting back the computer together, I noticed the lights on the H100 weren't lit properly, that 1 fan didn't spin, 1 was at 100% and that the button didn't do anything anymore. After investigating, seems I have a defective unit, see : here, here and here. So I reinstalled the stock cooler, I had a Zalman before that but I threw it away as it was a pain in the ass to install and what not, I didn't like it.

After installing the stock cooler, I booted the computer and noticed graphic corruption in the BIOS, Windows splash screen and Windows would BSOD. I thought I hadn't installed the stock cooler properly and the CPU was overheating or something, but everything was fine. After more investigating, it seems one of my GTX 580 is the culprit. There's no corruption with just the other card and there is with just the second. Same thing in another computer.

So, my question is : Is there any other test(s) I should do ? I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head about a video card suddenly dying like that when I was playing BF3 two days ago. Could the new motherboard, PSU be faulty as in causing parts to die ?

By the way, I know like a total noob breaking a mobo like that, but I assure you it's the first time in ~10 years I do something like that. :p

Thank you.

You've diagnosed the GPU issue correctly: If it's still exhibiting the same issues in another PC, more than likely it's defective. Video card can up and become defective like that.

You've diagnosed the GPU issue correctly: If it's still exhibiting the same issues in another PC, more than likely it's defective. Video card can up and become defective like that.

Ah well. I sent a RMA request to EVGA. Thanks. :)

Back