Computer will not boot properly...

Sardaan

Limp Gawd
I have run into a problem that just started this evening. My computer will not boot to windows XP without the windows XP installation disc in the DVD drive. When the disc is not present the computer just says a bootable drive was not located. I have not been able to fix this problem even with a fresh install. I have played with the boot order in the bios and this has not solved the problem. Any ideas?

Some Computer Specs:
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
AMD-64 3500+
2-6800GT
2-200GB Seagate SATA drives
Pioneer 16x DVDR

Again this just started for the first time this evening.

Thanks,

dont think this will help

had this problem on a dell laptop said Bootable Media Not Found or something of that nature, had a problem with the harddrive.

What i did

Put in cd, went to recovery console did

chkdsk /r you could also do chkdsk /p which is a longer method

then after that finishes i typed in fixboot

and that problem was gone.

mite wanna give that a shot, seems like something is screwy with the harddrives, may want to boot up into Partition Magic and format and recreate the partitions from that then fresh install if the above doesn't work

I tried the above last night with no luck, finally got tired and went to bed.

The actual error message is "disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter".

Yet if I have the windows XP CD in my DVD drive and I do NOT press "any key to boot from cd" it boots into windows just fine.

:mad:

ok well I seem to have fixed it just moments after my previous post. It seems that not only do you have to select the boot order but in the bios in a different menu you have to select which SATA drives you want it to boot off, and for some reason that I may never know it was changed to SATA2 rather than SATA1.

wierd, i never had had to to that with the MSI boards we use to built puters with in the shop.

glad its fixed :)

Back