Computer Unstable Need Help Antec Neopower 480w

Cybore

Weaksauce
Hey guys, I recently build a new AM2 system and I've been having several stability issues with it (primarily on startups). The problem has had me puzzled for a while, and I believe I've found the source of the problem but would like your input first before spend some more money.

My previous build:
Amd 3000+ 939
Abit av8-n
6800gt
Sound card, 2 HDD, DVD/RW, Floppy, 2-3 Fans, 3-4 USB devices.
Kingston 1gb Hyper x ddr400
Antec Neo Power 480w

System got really strange one day. If I unplugged it from the wall it would not boot up until after 10-20 tries ( It would power up and shut down right away). If the system did decide to boot, it would have no problems booting up from here after; until I decided to unplug the sytem.

System was totally stable, never had any issues besides this one.
----------------------
My current build:
Amd 4600 65w
Tf560 A2+
8600gt
Sound card, 2 HDD, DVD/RW, Floppy, 2-3 Fans, 3-4 USB devices.
Crucial Ballistix ddr2 800 2x1gb
Antec Neo Power 480w

System behaves somewhat like my old one, except it's even harder to get it to boot. Although It's been booting "usually ok" sometimes my computer randomly (if standby for to long) shuts my monitor off not allowing me to get back on the system. Sometimes it will also refuse to detect my mouse, until I give it a restart it. USB devices will sometimes act funny staying detected or undetected.

computer never totally shut down on me or crashed. I did prime95 for 5 hours and no errors.

Although I'm quite certain the problem is the power supply, I'm not able to see why it would give me problems given the amount of power my rig requires.

Any feedback is appreciated

Although I'm quite certain the problem is the power supply, I'm not able to see why it would give me problems given the amount of power my rig requires.

These things don't last forever, lol. Antec NeoHE's are lower quality Seasonics. I'm guessing your power hungry 6800GT drained most of the life out of that PSU. If its still under warranty, send it in for replacement. If its not, pickup a better quality PSU, like the Antec Earthwatts or Truepower Trio line, if you want to stick with Antec. Other, better choices would be the Corsair 520W or 620W, both rebadged Seasonics of good quality (unlike the Neo's).

Though your problem does sound power related, it could also be the power from the wall. Do you have a UPS unit with AVR?

Thanks for the reply, I actually don't even have ground where my computer is plugged into.. Don't think it would affect the performance of my PS though?

Thanks for the reply, I actually don't even have ground where my computer is plugged into.. Don't think it would affect the performance of my PS though?

Yes, that would definately affect your PSU, which would in turn affect your entire computer. So what happened to the ground pin on the power cord for the PSU?

My house don't got grounding..:(. I thought ground was pretty much for safety issues and did not affect voltages?

These things don't last forever, lol. Antec NeoHE's are lower quality Seasonics. I'm guessing your power hungry 6800GT drained most of the life out of that PSU. If its still under warranty, send it in for replacement. If its not, pickup a better quality PSU, like the Antec Earthwatts or Truepower Trio line, if you want to stick with Antec. Other, better choices would be the Corsair 520W or 620W, both rebadged Seasonics of good quality (unlike the Neo's).

Though your problem does sound power related, it could also be the power from the wall. Do you have a UPS unit with AVR?

Except if its a NeoPower 480 its the line that came before the HE's. I'm not sure if they're the same internally.

I had a NeoPower 480 that killed two motherboards before it died itself. I would have weird random reboots and then my southbridge would just smell like burning. I sent it back to Antec under warranty and they sent me a newer NeoHE 5something as a replacement. So yeah, try spending a few bucks on a nicer psu and see what happens. Grounding your equipment never hurts though...

That sounds terrible, don't think would wanna risk after hearing that story. I'll see if I can pickup something good at a reasonable price. People were giving it thumbs up when it came out.. and I thought it would last me a while..

...I tried to resist, but I'm going to have to make my usual "Antec Branded PSUs Are Trash" (TM) post. Quiet is nice, Antec, but swapping in lower rated, slower moving, quieter fans that don't push enough air to keep the capacitors sufficiently cool, leading to early component failure and 2 dead motherboards for me and countless others elsewhere? Not cool. Supposedly they're improved, but I'm subscribing to the "not making that mistake" theory... and strongly suggest others follow suit. I've had more Antec branded PSUs (mostly TruePowers, granted) kill components and kill themselves than any other piece of electronics I've ever owned. Period.

Also, OP, go out and buy a nice UPS, something with AVR. It's going to be expensive, $100+, probably more like $130 or so. If your outlets are ungrounded you need one that much more...and yeah, that's not a good thing. At all.

Isn't it pointless to have a UPS without proper grounding though? I have a really basic one but since it's open ground I doubt it works anyways.

Anyone care to suggest a cheap but reliable power supply that could power my new rig? Might consider gettings a 8800 in the future but that will not be for a while.

Minimum I'd suggest if you plan to get an 8800 some time in the future would be a Corsair 520HX. Things like active PFC are doubly important considering your horrible wiring, so less expensive options like the Xclio Goodpower 500 watt really... aren't an option at all.

For a computer, yes, ground is needed. Get that plug grounded or it may kill your new $100 PSU.

Back