Specs:
Intel i5 3570k
8GB GSkill Ares 1600Mhz at 1.5V
Crucial MX100 128GB SSD
Two 500GB HDDs in striped raid
EVGA 480 GTX
SeaSonic G-Series 550W (SSR-550RM)
ASUS P8Z77-V Mobo

All the hardware drivers are up-to-date. Everything maintains excellent temps both at idle (32C,30C,45C)(cpu, mobo, gpu) and under load (38C,35C, 60C).

I have tested the ram both individually, I have tested just the motherboard with cpu and ram, and I have tested it all without the gpu.

I have loaded into safe mode.

I even bought a new PSU.

All of the above resulted in the exact same problem... after ~30mins of the system being on, it abruptly turns off without error/blue screen/etc.

I have been at this for a week now, and I have spoken to a few people... and we cannot find a solution or fix. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Last edited:
Assuming bad motherboard or CPU now.. just tried leaving it in the BIOS... and it still turned off after 30mins.

Sounds like a blown capacitor on the motherboard. I would just buy another MB, or if you want to be adventurous you can always find and replace the cap.

If you have a specific time the cpu shuts down, have you looked at your power saving settings? Why would a bad cpu,ram,motherboard,power supply shut itself down on a timer? I mean you seem to be exact with the time thing. There is no program you have loaded that would do this?

I dunno maybe its me but wouldnt you check your power settings first?

Bruh load you cpu up with a test like prime and see what happens. I mean a capacitor,psu,ram,chip doesnt know the difference between 25 minutes or 30 minutes so excuse me If I cant wrap my head around that. I mean maybe the ram and cpu cause of the bios but that would still mean something is tripping a timed shutdown. If you load up you cpu and It doesnt shut off, then you dont have a hardware failure. A stressed cap will pop and shutdown your system long before 30 minutes.

Try leaving a room fan blowing directly on the motherboard. See if that changes anything.

Again, op seems to have this nailed to a specific time.

If I heat up an oven to 400 degrees then it shuts itself off when it reaches the desired temp after 30mins

5 Minutes later I turn the oven back on tell me how It would still take 30 mins to reach 400 degrees?

So even "if" this was a temp issue or a cap was overheating, didnt what I just laid out put that to rest. Mind you op said his temps were fine and listed them.

It seems like the system is protecting itself the way it shuts down but come on, those parts dont tell time. Every way he tested, it still shuts off after 30 mins. Even in BIOS where there is absolutely NO load on his components it still shuts off after 30 mins.

Load up the cpu and see if it pops before 30 mins.

What is your living situation like parents or have your own place.(Parents would like to control the power you are using)
What about the power strip you're using?
How about an apc? Is that set to shut down after a time?

What is your living situation like parents or have your own place.(Parents would like to control the power you are using)
What about the power strip you're using?
How about an apc? Is that set to shut down after a time?

I live at my own place, used various power strips, and several outlets, including the one powering my other PC.

Sounds like a blown capacitor on the motherboard. I would just buy another MB, or if you want to be adventurous you can always find and replace the cap.

Thoroughly looked them all over, and none look as if they had blown... but still a possibility.

If you have a specific time the cpu shuts down, have you looked at your power saving settings? Why would a bad cpu,ram,motherboard,power supply shut itself down on a timer? I mean you seem to be exact with the time thing. There is no program you have loaded that would do this?

I dunno maybe its me but wouldnt you check your power settings first?

Bruh load you cpu up with a test like prime and see what happens. I mean a capacitor,psu,ram,chip doesnt know the difference between 25 minutes or 30 minutes so excuse me If I cant wrap my head around that. I mean maybe the ram and cpu cause of the bios but that would still mean something is tripping a timed shutdown. If you load up you cpu and It doesnt shut off, then you dont have a hardware failure. A stressed cap will pop and shutdown your system long before 30 minutes.

I am not exact with the time I say ~30 minutes, which means roughly 30 minutes, and stress testing has been performed it does not lead to quicker shutdowns. I ran prime95 until it shutdown, I also ran the Heaven benchmark to see if it was graphically related.

Try leaving a room fan blowing directly on the motherboard. See if that changes anything.

I did leave a fan pointed directly at the motherboard at high speed, it reduced temps by a few degrees, but it still shutdown around the same time period.

Computer maybe going into sleep/hibernate state? This would usually occur only after a period of inactivity on the computer. So if computer is being "used" or otherwise being active, sleep/hibernate should not activate.

Check computer Power Options via Control Panel and see what the settings are and either change or disable sleep/hibernate state.

Run anti-malware programs such as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

Otherwise suspect the motherboard may be faulty and may need replacement.

Time your power up to shut down period to see if it's a software setting that's tripping you up. If it's not exactly thirty minutes (or another solid number everytime) then you have a hardware issue.

Yes, I have checked thoroughly for any software settings, and I cannot find one related to this. The event log always refers to an unexpected shut down, and thus occurs in the BIOS ad well.

I feel it's the motherboard, or CPU, and with Microcenter's current deal I may just buy an i5 4690 and an Asrock Extreme 4.

@OP I just helped someone fix this the other day. I'd venture a guess you have that horrible auto-overclocking switch turned on. Epu/tpu or some such nonsense. My buddy had it turned on, and it clocked his bclk to 125hz. Check cpu-z to confirm, flick switch to off and enjoy.

Back