Computer spontaneously reboots or shuts down

Vermillion

Supreme [H]ardness
Not sure where I should post this because it could go just about anywhere since I'm stumped. :(

I'm having an issue with the rig in my sig. The machine is just over 3 years old.

I have a feeling the motherboard is dying however I'd like other [H] user opinions. The computer is randomly rebooting or just turning off. Machine is virus/malware free.

The machine just up and reboots or completely shuts off even when idle. Meaning I can go a week without a reboot, but then maybe I reboot/shutdown twice a day for the next 3 days. During the reboot process you then get the "Windows didn't properly shutdown" message. I can't replicate any of it and there is no memory dump. When it does this I have a chance to lose the overclock on my CPU which is why I feel the motherboard is dying. I don't lose the overclock every time, just randomly.

I can rip and encode DVDs for my phone, play games for hours, and do everything else with no issue. Nothing specific causes the crash. The hard drives aren't making any funny noises and they check out fine according to vendor diagnostics. RAM checks out fine as well. CPU is stable with the overclock. I can run Prime or PI or any other stress test for 48+ hours.

Any other possibilities other then the mobo dying? I don't have a spare PSU to test with, but I don't see how the PSU would be the issue if I can play games for hours while drawing plenty of power and be stable, yet the system will reboot when idle. I also use an UPS to ensure good clean power.

Any suggestions or thoughts are welcome and much appreciated.

Have you monitored temperatures?

What are you using to check the RAM?

Have you considered removing the overclock just to see if the situation changes?

I would also verify that Windows is set to create a memory dump. It can be configured to just reboot.

Have you checked Event Viewer?

I get nothing in Event Viewer. No Memory Dump. Nothing in reliability monitor either other then "improper system shutdown" with no other information.

Have you monitored temperatures?

What are you using to check the RAM?

Have you considered removing the overclock just to see if the situation changes?

I would also verify that Windows is set to create a memory dump. It can be configured to just reboot.

Temps are fine. CPU is 42c idle and 53c under load. GPU is ~50c idle and ~66c under load.

Memtest for RAM. While I did test the RAM for due diligence purposes wouldn't bad RAM cause address errors and BSOD's instead of shutting down the computer?

Ran this past week without the overclock because I was too lazy to go into the BIOS and put it back. Still reboots/shuts down and is still stable during stress testing.

Windows is definitely set to create a memory dump.

The more I think about it the more I wonder about the PSU, but that just doesn't make sense. If the PSU was having troubles wouldn't using more power by doing things like gaming cause it to show the issues on a more regular basis?

Did you try filtering out for warnings and errors in the Event Viewer?

If your computer is randomly restarting, it should tell you in there or there will be a program making it restart.

Have you tried returning to stock speeds?

/sigh

Woke up this morning to a rebooted computer. No memory dump. No errors in event viewer. Nothing from reliability monitor. :(

Bah humbug.

/sigh

Woke up this morning to a rebooted computer. No memory dump. No errors in event viewer. Nothing from reliability monitor. :(

Bah humbug.

Some severe crashes do not show up in the event. The pc may crash before the writing occurs.

Some severe crashes do not show up in the event. The pc may crash before the writing occurs.

That's my issue. That's why I can't figure out what's causing the reboot/shutdown. It's very annoying.

It rebooted twice yesterday while I was at work. In fact it rebooted at 1:39PM EST and then immediately rebooted again at 1:42PM EST. Does that information give anybody any other ideas?

My only option now is to plunk down $100-150 on a new PSU. If that fixes the problem great (I have doubts about the PSU being the cause). If not well I need to hope I can return the PSU and then do a minor upgrade.

Boot a Linux Live CD, leave the computer overnight. See if it restarts?

Secondly. Start pulling any 3rd party cards you have out of the system
that are unnecessary.

chkdsk the drives?

Uncheck 'automatically restart' under 'system failure' in advanced system settings. This way you'll get a blue screen whenever a critical error occurs.

If it was already unchecked or if you check it and you don't see the BSOD, it's a hardware issue.

Uncheck 'automatically restart' under 'system failure' in advanced system settings. This way you'll get a blue screen whenever a critical error occurs.

If it was already unchecked or if you check it and you don't see the BSOD, it's a hardware issue.

Holy shit do I feel stupid, I totally forgot about that. :eek:

See, this is why I came to the [H] for fresh ideas. I'm so frustrated with having the reboots (not to mention working on our new house and dealing with the pregnant wife ;) ) I'm not thinking straight. I'll disable that as soon as I get home. One simple shutdown or reboot after that and I'll have a pretty good idea of what's causing the issue. :cool:

Many thanks Snowknight! :D

With automatic restart turned on you'll still see a BSOD for a second or so before the system restarts. See what happens when you get home..

With automatic restart turned on you'll still see a BSOD for a second or so before the system restarts. See what happens when you get home..

If the system is BSODing I'm not seeing it because I've had the PC reboot right in front of me.

If the system is BSODing I'm not seeing it because I've had the PC reboot right in front of me.

Hit F8 immediately after the BIOS screen clears. It should be in the list of safe mode, safe mode with networking, command line, etc. Select that option. It will wait for you to restart the pc when it crashes.

Also, you had a crash within 3 minutes of the pc being logged in. What do you have in the start up?

And check to see if the pc is now starting to crash before the boot up.

Last edited:
Holy shit do I feel stupid, I totally forgot about that. :eek:

See, this is why I came to the [H] for fresh ideas. I'm so frustrated with having the reboots (not to mention working on our new house and dealing with the pregnant wife ;) ) I'm not thinking straight. I'll disable that as soon as I get home. One simple shutdown or reboot after that and I'll have a pretty good idea of what's causing the issue. :cool:

Many thanks Snowknight! :D
tell us if you get a blue screen.

tell us if you get a blue screen.

The computer literally just turned off in front of me.

No errors, no BSOD's. So while that doesn't totally eliminate the motherboard from being the cause I will probably go purchase a new PSU today and see if that corrects the issue.

The computer literally just turned off in front of me.

No errors, no BSOD's. So while that doesn't totally eliminate the motherboard from being the cause I will probably go purchase a new PSU today and see if that corrects the issue.

It sounds like your powersupply is failing. You might not be getting error messages because the power is being pulled ,just like if you pulled the plug from the wall.

I had a power supply go on me like this. I could run all kinds or stress test and it would run fine. Then it would just randomly crash during web surfing or something.

It sounds like your powersupply is failing. You might not be getting error messages because the power is being pulled ,just like if you pulled the plug from the wall.

I had a power supply go on me like this. I could run all kinds or stress test and it would run fine. Then it would just randomly crash during web surfing or something.

Yep. Already found the PSU I'm going to replace the current one with. Picking it up this afternoon. Hopefully it solves the problem.

That's my issue. That's why I can't figure out what's causing the reboot/shutdown. It's very annoying.

It rebooted twice yesterday while I was at work. In fact it rebooted at 1:39PM EST and then immediately rebooted again at 1:42PM EST. Does that information give anybody any other ideas?

My only option now is to plunk down $100-150 on a new PSU. If that fixes the problem great (I have doubts about the PSU being the cause). If not well I need to hope I can return the PSU and then do a minor upgrade.

Check all power connections. Unplug and reseat them all.

Well, buy a PS that would be good enough to power up a new system, then
if it works OK, your all set.

If this doesnt work, try this.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1349426

This should actually be in GH.

have you tried bypassing the ups?

Never tried but if the UPS was having issues my monitor would be power fluxing (which it isn't) as well as it is also on the UPS.

Anyways a new OCZ 600watt PSU is now installed. Got it on sale for $78 with an additional $25 in a MIR.

We shall see if it remains stable. As nice as a new computer would be I'd prefer it to be a PSU issue as I want to wait for Bulldozer to arrive before building a new PC.

Did putting in a new power supply stop the random restarts? I am currently having the same problem and haven't found a solution.

Did putting in a new power supply stop the random restarts? I am currently having the same problem and haven't found a solution.
I think it is safe to assume that it did work for him since he never replied after. No news is good news, right? It makes sense that it would be a PSU problem because Windows is generally setup to record crashes or errors being caused by general hardware failure, meaning you get an event logged or BSOD when it happens.

If Vermillion doesn't reply you could try sending him a PM. It is a 3-year old thread.

Back