Computer speed matter to transmit data?

Morphx2

Gawd
Hi all.

I have a very old computer that I want to use as a media center. Basically, I will have a USB harddrive hooked up to the computer with movies/pictures/music that I want to transmit over a network to my xbox 360.

Will the slow computer speed make the network slower at all for transmitting data? I doubt it would, but just wondering. Also, is directly wired usually faster than wireless; or does it not matter.

Thanks!

go wired, wireless can be ok, but if someone fires up a microwave around it, could drop out.

as far as media goes, i have a p2-400 serving videos and music on a 100 mb switched network and haven't run into problems.

just make sure it's actually usb2 port, trying to stream content from usb1 connection wouldn't work
also typical wired vs wireless, wired is 2x faster 100mb/s vs 54

just make sure it's actually usb2 port, trying to stream content from usb1 connection wouldn't work
also typical wired vs wireless, wired is 2x faster 100mb/s vs 54

last i checked, 54 was 27up/27down... not true 54mbit at all... wired is 4x faster @ 100mbit

last i checked, 54 was 27up/27down... not true 54mbit at all... wired is 4x faster @ 100mbit

well you right about the ~27 but its not 27up/27down as wifi can only either send or receive data not both at the same time, the speed degradation is caused by huge wifi protocol overhead.

Back