Computer Speakers vs Real Speakers for 5.1

Guy Montag

n00b
I've thought about shelling out for a 5.1 system, as the 2.1 Altec Lansing I've got now is nice, but for gaming, surround seems to be pretty useful.

There's the logitech 5.1 systems, and the Klipsch 5.1 systems, but when I've heard them in the stores, and listened to them at various friend's houses, I haven't been terribly impressed by the quality.

I've got an old inexpensive 1970's receiver and floor speakers, and they actually sound better! Then there's stuff at my university we use for audio engineering, but that's way out of my budget.

Is it possible to get a 'real speaker' 5.1 system (receiver, speakers) for less that $300-$400 that will sound good?

Get the Bose Companion 5. I know people dislike Bose with a passion, but they're actually good. Its 2.1 but with 5.1 sound. I have the logitech z-5500 but its just bass driven and power oriented. Klipsch sounds pretty good but the sub breaks very easy. If you can, try out the companion 5's.

Get the Bose Companion 5. I know people dislike Bose with a passion, but they're actually good. Its 2.1 but with 5.1 sound. I have the logitech z-5500 but its just bass driven and power oriented. Klipsch sounds pretty good but the sub breaks very easy. If you can, try out the companion 5's.

The imaging is not going to be anywhere near accurate enough for playing games. The lower end is pretty lacking as well.

I'm looking for an actual 5.1 system, as the rear channel actually comes in really handy for FPS games.

Reasonably good for someone confined to the budgets they target. Not as good if you have a much larger budget.

Better than the speakers used by Logitech and Klipsch though?

L O L

Slightly..........just barely. YES a HELL of a lot better. If you want a percentage sorry but they are night and day different to me.

It's also nice in that you'll have an actual receiver. If you want to toss down a few hundred and get better sats at some point, it gives you a clear upgrade path.

L O L

Slightly..........just barely. YES a HELL of a lot better. If you want a percentage sorry but they are night and day different to me.

Lol, ok, just checking :D

Logitech and Klipsch speakers always just sound distorted and flat to me, and I couldn't see how they were worth what they were charging for them.

I've been using my logitech 5.1 system for a few years now, no complaints. Sound is good (perhaps not the best but not such a difference I would pay for better) and after 6 years now they're all still functioning like the first day.

I've been using my logitech 5.1 system for a few years now, no complaints. Sound is good (perhaps not the best but not such a difference I would pay for better) and after 6 years now they're all still functioning like the first day.

Yeah, I've heard a few of the Logitech 5.1's and for the money they're asking, I have a hard time justifying shelling out for the kind of sound that I hear from them.

Oh yeah. I have heard a pair of Gale bookshelfs. Not sure which ones. Local dealer carried them. They are ok. Sound like Tannoy a bit.

Gale is a very well regarded British high end loudspeaker manufacturer and for this reason there are very few reviews in the US. I can't speak for the sound of these speakers but when I get them I'll put up my impressions. I they could be a steal of a deal based on the reviews I did see. I plan to power them with this. I have a feeling it would make these little speakers sing.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FAIT&variation=CHR

Gale is a very well regarded British high end loudspeaker manufacturer and for this reason there are very few reviews in the US. I can't speak for the sound of these speakers but when I get them I'll put up my impressions. I they could be a steal of a deal based on the reviews I did see. I plan to power them with this. I have a feeling it would make these little speakers sing.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FAIT&variation=CHR

Hrmmm... I guess the question becomes 'are they sold at a competitive price in the US?'

Hopefully $400 would cover a decent set of 5.1 speakers, a sub and a receiver, that quality-wise would blow a $400 set of Logitech or Klipsch speakers out of the water.

Again, Gale is a legit company. That should be a great deal for $100. I would be surprised if they were not better than the Z-5500. Still a small satellite setup though so do not expect miracles.

Again, Gale is a legit company. That should be a great deal for $100. I would be surprised if they were not better than the Z-5500. Still a small satellite setup though so do not expect miracles.

Yeah, not looking for miracles heh, just something better than the Logitech / Klipsch speakers for the same price or less.

Back