Computer speakers vs. Home audio system

Big_H

Limp Gawd
Which is better? Is there a noticable sound difference?

I've asked this question before, but I guess I still don't get it...
Take the Logitech z680s :
500 watts (188 sub, 62 sat, 69 center sat)
Digital
THX
$399
Am I missing anything?

Or I could get something along the lines of:
Speakers: KLH 725W Home Theater Speaker System
725 watt (100 sub, 125 sat, 125 center sat)
$199

and
Sony 500W Home Theater Receiver
500 watt total output
Digital
$199

So for the same price I loose THX (which I wouldn't use much), but gain 40 watts per speaker (taken off the sub), plus it's dedicated receiver.

Why should I get one over the other? Am i missing something important? It just seems like you can build a better home audio system (plus you can use it later as a home audio system) then a computer speaker package.
(The speakers and receiver are just something I saw on Best Buy, you can probably fine a better combo)

Opinions?

So for the same price I loose THX (which I wouldn't use much), but gain 40 watts per speaker (taken off the sub)

You don't use THX at all, it's a certification, not a decoding standard (excepting the obscure and supplanted THX EX).
In addition, "THX certified" multimedia systems are not generally THX certified, they are "THX Multimedia" certified, which is vastly different than the THX certification home theater components recieve (there are multiple levels of that as well, though all are significantly more stringent than THX "multimedia" certification), and also distinct from the THX certification theaters recieve.

The power ratings assigned to the Z-680 system are using estimates of output that the built-in power system is incapable of approaching when driving all speakers simultaneously with inaudible levels of distortion (a practice Klipsch and most every other "multimedia" speaker and "minisystem" builder follows), and which could concievably blow the drivers if sustained for a decent length of time.

Now whether the Z-680's or the KLH reciever setup sounds better, I'm not sure. I'd wager the KLH power output specifications are similarly "gamed" (though likely to a lesser extent), but stated power output means rather little these days.

I haven't heard the KLH speakers, and the speakers are the most critical component of the system in determining sound quality.

I'd suggest auditioning them yourself (although best buy is inept at setting up a decent listening room) and picking whichever you prefer.

The Sony reciever is probably better than the KLH, and I'm not a big fan of Sony products.
A lower rated Harman/Kardon, Denon, Yamaha or Onkyo may well (in fact probably would) provide similar or superior output quality and power (with all channels driven at more than one frequency) output.
Note that the Sony does not come with speakers.

Another consideration is that the Z-680 system uses fewer wires.
Since this isn't (P)ansyOCP I don't see that being an important issue for most posters ;)
edited for spelling, last P

I don't trust the power ratings on any current consumer-level Sony receiver. You see, Sony rates their power output at a single, fixed frequency of 1kHz! You'll have to read the owners manual to find the true continuous RMS power output throughout the full audible frequency range - and that true power rating can be significantly lower than the advertised spec. Here, you'll find the 500W total is at a single, fixed 1kHz frequency! But reading the owners manual for the true, full-bandwidth continuous RMS power spec reveals that your "500W" home-theater receiver actually delivers only 300 to 350W total!

I don't trust the power ratings on any current consumer-level Sony receiver. You see, Sony rates their power output at a single, fixed frequency of 1kHz! You'll have to read the owners manual to find the true continuous RMS power output throughout the full audible frequency range - and that true power rating can be significantly lower than the advertised spec. Here, you'll find the 500W total is at a single, fixed 1kHz frequency! But reading the owners manual for the true, full-bandwidth continuous RMS power spec reveals that your "500W" home-theater receiver actually delivers only 300 to 350W total!

Your concerns are well founded, but this practice is not unique to Sony at all. In fact, the Z-680's and multimedia systems in general (plus all-in-one minisystems) use a similar method (single frequency with a single channel driven) but usually allow orders of magnitude more harmonic distortion.
I'd wager the KLH model is just as guilty of this as the Sony.
I'd also wager they both are capable of putting out more power than the Z-680's by a significant margin, and almost certainly with cleaner output quality.

Onkyo, Denon, H/K and Yamaha (whom I mentioned) all usually rate their power output over the full frequency range, and often with multiple channels driven simultaneously.

I'll add to leuk's great advise that a 5.1 is better than a 4.1 only when you are playing DVD's on your computer that have encoded surround sound. Games use software to create a audio imaging. It works better on a four-satellite system than on a stereo hookup, but it doesn't benefit from a center channel or added side or rear sats.

Music is encoded to be heard on a stereo setup. On a 4.1 or larger system it only distributes the signal between the satellite speakers, making difference only for those on the left and right channels. A crossover will divert the low-frequency signal to the sub, if you have one.

The point is to buy for what you are going to listen to. Also be skeptical about prices that seem too good to be true. (cough:KLH:cough) Moore's Law does not apply to speaker cones. Quality audio components cost money to make. But they sound great and last for years.

BHD

Since I've recently had my own internal debate along these very lines, I'll chime in here as well...

I chose to go the home theatre route rather than the PC speaker route for a few reasons... First, let me say that I also chose the Sony 595, as much as anything because I have have had good luck (personally) with sony products and I trust the brand. Doesn't mean it's the superior performer, just I have confidence in it. Shop around, tho, because amazon beats your price by $30 for the same gear.

The one thing I just couldn't stomach any longer about the PC speakers is that you are tied to a set... In other words, If you buy Logitech today, you get all 6 (7, 8, whatever) speakers and you now have to upgrade all of those speakers with another matched set should you decide you are unhappy with them (for whatever reason). Because of matched impedence and resistance, mismatched speakers in a set like that never sound as good as the matched set and as such, if you upgrade your sound every X years, you must upgrade everything.

That reason alone was what finally steered me from the PC speakers and into the home audio arena. So I have begun w/ the receiver mentioned above and a velodyne sub (I found an older VX10 at a great price and just couldn't pass it up). As my budget allows, I will upgrade my front channels to a nice pair of monitors/bookshelf speakers. See what I mean, tho, about upgradeability? You just don't have that with a set of PC speaks.

It's not to say PC speaks won't be great in your application... but personally, I hated the feeling that I was cornered in my options. As BHD has also pointed out in other similar threads, the lifespan of home audio is going to FAR outlast PC audio in most cases. My regular home system is a Kenwood from circa 1986 and it's still going strong.

I'm sure you'll make the best decision for your situation, but don't forget to include the indirect factors. Good luck!

pb

Thanks for the replies... and keep them going (if you want), as it's going to be a few weeks before I buy anything.

That's one of my main reasons for wanting a home system, upgradablitiy.
I'm going to be using them for "normal computer needs" i.e. DVDs, games, music.

After a trip to Best Buy today, I'm looking at the mostly Yamaha and Sony stuff, I asked a friend and he said he was told KLH are sucky.

Thanks.
H

Edit: w00t 200th posts

Originally posted by Big_H
Thanks for the replies...

After a trip to Best Buy today, I'm looking at the mostly Yamaha and Sony stuff, I asked a friend and he said he was told KLH are sucky.

Thanks.
H

Edit: w00t 200th posts

Alright, you're looking at Yamaha also now, which is quite a bit better in audio output and quality than Sony. Over the years, I owned/used what I see as "the lower end stuff": JVC, Pioneer, Sony, thinking I was happy. However, my last receiver purchased was a Yamaha, and boy oh boy, what an obvious improvement! And that was using the same speakers! I would put Denon in the same category as Yamaha, for quality, but in the last couple of years Yamaha has lowered prices while maintaining it's quality, therefore are more affordable.

So, instead of the Sony you pointed out for $200, I suggest this Yamaha, which will be more than enough for PC use:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...86884&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03031

As for speakers, I'll agree with polobear's point of view. Think upgrade. You don't have to get a whole 5.1 speaker package right away, and for the money you have for speakers, I'd suggest NOT going that route. KLH, as far as compared to PC multimedia speakers, would be good. KLH, as far as compared to HT/stereo speakers, are bottom-of-the-barrel crap.

So, I suggest going with just a pair (or 2 pair if you can stretch your speaker $ a little) of better quality stereo bookshelf speakers for now along with a receiver, then when you can afford to later, add another pair of speakers, a center, and a sub. You'd have much much better sound coming out of speakers like Polk, Infinity, or JBL, than you would with the cheapo KLH. In fact, for gaming anyway, you could utilize your current PC rear speakers and sub with a nice pair of stereo speakers, until you upgrade later (although you'll want to try to balance the PC and stereo speakers as best as possible, if you go that route). I'll post some suggestions below, for decent bookshelf speakers.

Polk R15 ($133/pair)
http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&catoid=-8023&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_5&oid=50575

Polk R20 ($190/pair)
http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&catoid=-8023&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_9&oid=51511

Polk RTI4 ($260/pair) *nice speakers
http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&catoid=-8023&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_13&oid=80177

Infinity INI PRIMUS150 ($171/pair)
http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&catoid=-8023&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_8&oid=75519

JBL E30-CH ($249/pair)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...34901&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03043

Definiatly get home theater speakers. If you got a nforce 2 mainboard that is since they suck in gaming otherwise.

But then 5.1 surround is much better than 4.1 surround in games. I got a nforce 2 "soundstorm" mainboard that encode dolby digital on the fly and it gives me that awesome center channel. Awesome for racing sims/flight sims or fps:s where a lot of the sounds come right in front of view in term of engines or guns mainly. Not to say speech. Also the transition is so much smoother now than ordinary 4.1.

Also you got a lot more choices with Home theater speakers and you can get better quality for less. I don´t know what computer speakers that beats my Pure (Videologic) digitheatre Platinums and then I went the easy way and got a full set.

But if you got a soundcard other than Soundstorm you may have to go computer speakers anyway since HT speakers don´t have separate rear channels.

But the improvement of 5.1 over 4.1 is even more noticeable in games than movies for me really which is quite cool.

Yeah, I have a nf2: Soundstorm.

Badger, thanks for the links, I'll look into those. I *might* be able to use my current speakers in my new set up, but I'd rather not (at least for an extended persion of time).
This is going to be a *major* upgrade for me, I currently have a pair of Altec Lansing ACS5's, they came with our original computer so they're 7 or 8 years old. There's no sub, and they've been dropped countless times. Taking all these factors into account shows what kind of quality Altec Lansing is (or was), they still sound pretty good, and they're still in pretty good condition (externally ;)).

H

Originally posted by oqvist
................................................................................................... you may have to go computer speakers anyway since HT speakers don´t have separate rear channels.

What were you trying to say there?

From my perspective, powered monitors are the way to go -- if you have the desk space. They seem to be designed for less than optimal acoustic settings, which seems to describe most workstations.

I was at a Sam Ash the other day, and was blown away by the difference between my Altec Lansing ACS 495s and the Event TR5s I was demo-ing. Sounded very nice, good "sound stage," and seemed to have good build quality. Good looking speaker, too, so it's something I know that I can live with on my desk.

But one should be practical and assess the amount of space available. Computer speakers are small for a reason: most users just don't have the real estate available for passive speakers and a separate processor+amplifier. This is a significant concern, and can be a real challenge to overcome. I know I don't have a lot of room, and that's what's keeping me from those getting those Events.

That is, for the moment. :)

Originally posted by Badger_sly
What were you trying to say there?

That the rear channels outputs the same if you disable the dolby encoding. Thus you get no surround for the rear channels.

Originally posted by oqvist
That the rear channels outputs the same if you disable the dolby encoding. Thus you get no surround for the rear channels.

I have an analog 4.1 setup currently, with an A2 ZS and 2 amps. My front stereo speakers output in a wide enough range that they cover as a center, and allows use of the rear channels always, for gaming.

Once I upgrade my HT receiver, I'll move that Yamaha DD/DTS receiver to my computer and add in a center, but for now I'm happy with the 4.1 stereo setup.

Back