Computer Smart As A 4 Year Old

HardOCP News

[H] News
This specially designed computer is only as smart "as a 4 year old." So much for computers taking over the world. :eek:

Artificial and natural knowledge researchers at the University of Illinois at Chicago have IQ-tested one of the best available artificial intelligence systems to see how intelligent it really is. Turns out–it's about as smart as the average 4-year-old, they will report July 17 at the U.S. Artificial Intelligence Conference in Bellevue, Wash.

So they've developed an AI that is as smart as all of the current employees in all three branches of government?

It starts as a 4 year old, then it will expand to the internet. Once it assimilates all the information on the internet, we will all be subject to torture by forced consumption of cat-videoes and endless youtube bot comments about unit enhancement. Just this morning, robots are already on their way with their acrobatic prowess to trump human athletics.

The Human race is doomed, much like the t-rex was when they could not hug their family members prompting the wife of t-rex to lose feelings for him and ultimately filing for divorce. T-rex will hit rock bottom in the gutter drinking dino beer feeling sorry for himself with rejection and dying a lonesome death while the rise of other mammal species take their place. Likewise, robots will do the same. After that, Aliens.

Let's not forget computing power doubles every 18 months our so...

If it's legit, then we're doomed as it has been foreseen...

Let's hope it doesn't throw a tantrum that a human 4 year old toddler does. :/

Ugh. It's "as smart as a 4 year old" in one limited way. It still can't learn, or answer questions like "why". Progress, sure, but it's not the equivalent of any 4 year old.

Ugh. It's "as smart as a 4 year old" in one limited way. It still can't learn, or answer questions like "why"
Hey, there are days when a lot of parents can't answer that question either. As far as it not being able to learn, well I think any given day's news headlines can give you a pretty good number of humans that can't do that, either. Robots already do a lot of things better then human morons. Sadly, the human morons are still reproducing faster than those robots.

So does it know to look both ways before crossing the road? or is the baby terminator in training doomed to be run over?

The Human race is doomed, much like the t-rex was when they could not hug their family members prompting the wife of t-rex to lose feelings for him and ultimately filing for divorce. T-rex will hit rock bottom in the gutter drinking dino beer feeling sorry for himself with rejection and dying a lonesome death while the rise of other mammal species take their place. Likewise, robots will do the same. After that, Aliens.
This made my day.

Sloan said ConceptNet 4 did very well on a test of vocabulary and on a test of its ability to recognize similarities.

"But ConceptNet 4 did dramatically worse than average on comprehension—the 'why' questions," he said.
So it's as "intelligent" as a dictionary/thesaurus.

Guys. This AI may be above a four year old intellect, but here's the problem, it lacks common sense. [insert political joke that isn't here, like Texas]

My cat is smarter than your 4 year old equivalent computer and he hasn't taken over the world yet. Then again, I think it's because he's lazy and not because he couldn't do it even if he wanted.

My cat is smarter than your 4 year old equivalent computer and he hasn't taken over the world yet....

I think that just means his plan is working.. Mwahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So this computer is already smarter than the average user that calls in for tech support?

Guys. This AI may be above a four year old intellect, but here's the problem, it lacks common sense. [insert political joke that isn't here, like Texas]

I think the problem here is that it's not perceived to be more intelligent than a four year old because it actually has common sense. It's rational and logical. So when pressed with many why questions, it fails miserably, because we as humans are completely irrational creatures.

Wake me up when it hits adolescence. That's when we're really screwed.

Ignoring the Three Laws, staying up at all hours listening to that new fangled poop music, hanging out with all those malware-ridden robots... ugh.

Ugh. It's "as smart as a 4 year old" in one limited way. It still can't learn, or answer questions like "why". Progress, sure, but it's not the equivalent of any 4 year old.

Can it ASK why, though? 4 year olds ask why at least 6000 times a day. Even more when they don't have a nap.

But, a computer that can't answer why is scary. If it can get smart enough to be able to know that it exists (sentient being or consciousness or whatever you want to call it), and not understand why, then it wouldn't know why it should stop doing bad things. Or why it shouldn't wipe out humanity. Or why it shouldn't install pop ups on IE6.

So they've developed an AI that is as smart as all of the current employees in all three branches of government?

Your confusing RUN the world with TAKE OVER. Take over merely requires killing all the competition.

...and it's really a moot point, the computers are smarter already:p

It doesn't matter how large the database is or how much programming is done. A computer cannot be "smart" unless it can learn and adapt.

My cat is smarter than your 4 year old equivalent computer and he hasn't taken over the world yet. Then again, I think it's because he's lazy and not because he couldn't do it even if he wanted.

Your cat can't taker over the world, as it has no thumbs. Thumbs are what make us the apex predator, not brains. After all, cats are at least as smart as humans. What other animal has the "acme of intelligence" scooping it's bodily wastes and feeding and providing it with entertainment.

Cats have it all, no reason to take over the world. They already have noms, tummy rubs, and someone taking out the poop. what else is there to conquer?

Let me know when a computer becomes self aware.
It would probably be an anti climax
skynet.png

Your cat can't taker over the world, as it has no thumbs. Thumbs are what make us the apex predator, not brains. After all, cats are at least as smart as humans. What other animal has the "acme of intelligence" scooping it's bodily wastes and feeding and providing it with entertainment.

Cats have it all, no reason to take over the world. They already have noms, tummy rubs, and someone taking out the poop. what else is there to conquer?

That doesn't explain stray and feral kitties. They're probably plotting something because they envy the cats that are living the good life with humans. I bet there's an itty bitty stray kitteh committee that's discussing things like this right now.

hB52F0D69

Back