Computer slowing down (3ds max)

slaya

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey I just installed the 3D Studio Max 6 trial version on my computer, and while playing around in it I increased the value of some setting a lot really quikly, immediatly after I did that my computer started loading and basicly froze. My CPU was at 100% usage and my ram with only 4mb to spare out of the 1gb I have, I was amazed as I never seen my ram usage so high. .....So I waited, and waited for about 5 minutes untill I was promted with a messege from 3D Studio Max telling me it was going to shutdown due to the lack of free memory and that I should save my work, so I did. After shutting down, my CPU usage was still at around 40% usage and would skip to 80% usage with the movemt of my mouse, so I thought a simple restart would fix the problem. So I went ahead and restarted, only to find out that the problem remained, evan though I was only running AIM, Coolmon, and my anti-virus program in the background.

I have no idea whats going on but restarting isn't helping at all..

I'm running Windows XP Pro SP1 which I just installed about a month and a half ago, no spyware or viruses and i'm all updated with windows..

system specs in sig (first one)

Thanks in advance.

What setting did you increase rapidly? 3D Studio Max 6 is known to be very hardware intensive, and as such, settings should be slowly increased to a comfortable level.

Ah, I didn't know that, but the value I setting was the "iterations" in the MeshSmooth..

Why would my computer still run slow evan after I shutdown the program and rebooted several times?

howifeelboutyou.jpg

Papa-Ming said:
WTF?

Anyway, settings can cache in strange manners like that. Make sure to set it back to factory and then save and restart the program. In the future, make sure you know what the setting does and how it will impact the system, especially in a program like 3DSMax, where the user is assumed to be technically proficient.

rofl. agreed.

Just dont go trying to set the iterations to 20. As M11 says, "the user is assumed to be technically proficient." An iteration amount of 2-3, possibly 4 (but pushing it), will be good enough.

I see, well after restarting the iteration setting was automaticly put back to 0 but my computer still runs slow..

M11 said:
WTF?

Darkness was our spammer yesterday morning. CIWS obviously made short work of him! But I think some of my BYE BYE posts to the boy as he ran around the forums until the Admin came are still hanging "in air" around the place, unfortunately. :( Or I posted this one just as the Admin was getting rid of him.

Sorry all.

Naw, let the subject die here !!! Just wanted to explain the crazy things. It's over now.

Back