Computer shut down suddenly, now not rebooting

Does this sound like a blown power supply? How do I test for sure, barring swapping to a new PS immediately, since I don't have one lying around? I was just playing a game of left 4 dead and bam, complete shut off, and now when I try and power back on, absolutely nothing happens, no POST, no fans, no LEDs. It sounds like a power issue, but I want to be sure.

Ok this makes no sense, but miraculously after I tried that and reconnected the power to my mobo, and then when I tried to power my machine up...it worked. Now I'm wondering if I overheated something...?

its possible you just tripped something in the psu and it shut its self off to protect it.. ive had it happen a few times with my older psu and socket 754 system.. had to unplug it from the motherboard and plug it back in..

but like enginurd asked.. what make/model is it? possible that your overloading the psu..

It's weird, but I've had it happen before too...

When a computer doesn't start, I unplug the main connections from the mobo and plug them back in... for whatever reason it seems to clear any residue charges and lets it start "fresh"

I know I sold a guy a computer and he said he went to plug it in but it didn't turn on, I had been working on it the night before and it been running just perfect... so I recommended he just unplug the 20pin and 4 pin and press the power button a few times, then plug them back in... Luckily it worked :D

Well, embarrassingly enough, I think my psu is some 450-500w thing that came with my case. I don't overclock or use any really high-end components so the wattage shouldn't be a problem, but I can't speak to it's reliability.

Well, embarrassingly enough, I think my psu is some 450-500w thing that came with my case. I don't overclock or use any really high-end components so the wattage shouldn't be a problem, but I can't speak to it's reliability.

yeah it probably doesnt have all the safety features most higher end psu's have.. and its only way of protecting its self is by shutting off.. atleast thats my guess..

Bumping this back up because it is still happening, almost exclusively during or shortly after playing a game. Time to buy a new power supply?

Bumping this back up because it is still happening, almost exclusively during or shortly after playing a game. Time to buy a new power supply?

What PSU do you have? We need specifics here. At the very least tell us what case you have.

Buy a new PSU. I can see that case comes with a HiPro 400W PSU which probably isn't a 400W PSU. I recommend getting a new PSU even if that HiPro isn't the problem. I still wouldn't trust that HiPro PSU at all.

Back