Computer Program Could Point Police to Gang-Crime Suspects?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Could you imagine asking a judge for a warrant to arrest someone selected by a computer as the person most like to have committed a crime?

The work is the latest contribution in the fast-emerging field of predictive policing — a broad area of study rooted in the notion that it is possible, through sophisticated computer analysis of information about previous crimes, to predict where and when crimes will occur or, in this case, to calculate the probability a certain gang committed a crime.

Minority-Report-Blu-ray.jpg

aww crap someone beat me to the minority report reference. but seriously there is no way that you could get an arrest warrant simply because a computer predicted someone might commit a crime the ACLU would be all over that and for good reason.

Yeah, the theory is cute and all but this cannot gain any traction for real world usage. Sorry, too much can go wrong with this.

SkyNET will become self-aware & start pointing fingers at the slimy meatbags.

I would imagine that something like this could only be used as a tool to help police find where to look for evidence, and not as legally binding evidence in and of itself.

Warrant? Who the frak needs a warrant these days? The FBEye just has to say "invesgating terrorist links", or soon "suspected copyright infringement" and they will be able to lay the beatdown as soon as the computer points the finger. Hasta La Vista, USofA.

Yeah, the theory is cute and all but this cannot gain any traction for real world usage. Sorry, too much can go wrong with this.

Why not, the article says nothing about actually using it to issue any warrants, more like a means of narrowing down leads... Police departments already have way more invasive and ambiguous fishing tactics than this.

Frankly I don't see what the big deal is, they're just using an algorithm to save time... I just gotta wonder whether the money wouldn't be better invested in bolstering the actual living breathing police and detective workforce tho. You gotta think anyone with contacts on the street (or undercover officers) would be way better at this sorta thing.

Sound more like "Dr. Theopolis" from Buck Rogers. Because after nuclear war its just better to put the computers / AIs in charge.

What a cross over to have Sarah Connor in the Buck Rogers future.

You know Twiki wouldn't stand a chance.

Back