Computer Problem Grounds All American Airlines Flights

HardOCP News

[H] News
I love computers! They are the greatest thing in the world! Well, until something like this happens. Computers SUCK! :D

American Airlines this afternoon grounded its entire fleet of planes because of a computer problem with its reservation and booking system. The airline alerted the public to the issue via Twitter just after noon. That was followed by another tweet announcing a "system-wide ground delay until 4:00 p.m. CT."

Computers are great... So long as the computers that crash are not yours, but your competitors. :D

To err is human ... to really screw things up takes a computer :D

I was on my way back from Dublin and read another report of this and for some reason my brain replaced United with American Airlines while silently crying "NOOOOOOO". :D

My bet is that continual layoffs due to the restructuring probably has their IT so damn thin... serves them right.

Just for the record, most Airlines rez system were written on big iron back in the 60's/70's. Amazing that they can even connect to smart phones, etc.

On top of that, American is mostly outsourced of IT

Just for the record, most Airlines rez system were written on big iron back in the 60's/70's. Amazing that they can even connect to smart phones, etc.

On top of that, American is mostly outsourced of IT

Connecting modern technology to 70's era big iron is the single biggest thing IBM does nowadays. Pretty much the only thing they make currently is as/400s and integration software, since they sold off the PC and Hard Drive divisions.

Also, only consumer-level IT is outsourced, a system as big as the one at AA would have either an in-house IT staff, or would be contracted out to a local IT support business.

Also, only consumer-level IT is outsourced, a system as big as the one at AA would have either an in-house IT staff, or would be contracted out to a local IT support business.

Absolutely incorrect. Companies like IBM, HP, several Indian firms make billions managing complex systems such as SABRE for companies. I don't know what AA's IT structure is so I can't speak to their specifics but its wrong to assume that big iron isn't out sourced like every other part of IT. Where I work my team is mixed offshore IBM staff aug and onshore employees. The apps we support do about 3 billion transactions a month.

Back