Computer Off But Turns Back On Auto

TIMEZONE

Limp Gawd
Hey,

I have one more problem. When I turn off my computer its off, but a few secs later it will turn back on by "ITSELF". I don't understand why this is happening? Sometimes it doesn't happen, but it happens at least once a day when I turn off my computer and then turns back on by itself.

Please help.

MY COMP SPECS:

Intel P4 2.4ghz
Intel Motherboard
NIVIVDA TNT Model 64
512MB RAM
Windows 2000 Pro
Linksys Etherfast 10/100 LAN CARD
350 PWS

-Warren

It's haunted, with a ghost.

Or it could be somethings wrong with your power button on your comp??? Maybe, maybe not.

How do you turn off your computer? Do you use windows Start->Shutdown thing? Do you just turn it off with the power button?

Check the BIOS, there are a couple of settings that could cause the PC to turn on without pushing the power button. "Wake on Lan" is one and "Wake on Ring" is another. Disable or turn off both of these and see if it helps.

RUN ITS THE GHOST IN THE MACHINE.... be very scared if it starts typing messages at you...

More than likely you have a bad connection somewhere that is shorting, could also be a setting in the bios. GL with the ghost

alphanumeric said:
Check the BIOS, there are a couple of settings that could cause the PC to turn on without pushing the power button. "Wake on Lan" is one and "Wake on Ring" is another. Disable or turn off both of these and see if it helps.

someone also has suggested that question to me but I cannot seem to find WOL or WOR on my BIOS. The motherboard that I'm currently using is the Intel ECS PT800CE-A which supports the "Wake On Lan" but cannot find that option! Please help. thx

Yes, I know its under Power Mangement Setup but I still cannot find "WAKE ON EVENT" or something with "WAKE"....please help!? Screenshots would help...thx! :)

i highly doubt its a software config problem.

Most likely the on/off circuit isnt closing on ur motherboad and its tripping the PS back on.

This means that if its bothering you ( or it also shuts the machine down) ur gonna need a new board.

magik20 said:
i highly doubt its a software config problem.

Most likely the on/off circuit isnt closing on ur motherboad and its tripping the PS back on.

This means that if its bothering you ( or it also shuts the machine down) ur gonna need a new board.

i will need a new motherboard? damn it...you serious?

Quick question.... why are you turning your computer off in the first place. It is not necessary to turn it off after usage anymore, it used to damage the computer but now days its just fine to leave it on indefinitely. I had an Abit NF7-s V2.0 that I left on for almost 3 years straight without a problem, only shutdown times were if the power went out or if I was going to be away for more than 2 days.

However, it seems as though there is one of two problems, either your motherboard has a short that is reconnecting the circuit and thus turning the computer back on or there is something wrong with your PSU that is doing the same thing. If you can, borrow a PSU and try it out and see if the problem is replicated, if not then there ya go. Also you might want to try a complete wipe of your drive, and destructive reinstall (remember to back EVERYTHING necessary up). This could alleviate the problem if it is some configuration or corrupted file in windows. Also when doing this make sure that your internet is disconnected until you get all your anti virus/spyware stuff back up and running thus alleviating any bad stuff getting in.

gregnash said:
Quick question.... why are you turning your computer off in the first place. It is not necessary to turn it off after usage anymore, it used to damage the computer but now days its just fine to leave it on indefinitely. I had an Abit NF7-s V2.0 that I left on for almost 3 years straight without a problem, only shutdown times were if the power went out or if I was going to be away for more than 2 days.

However, it seems as though there is one of two problems, either your motherboard has a short that is reconnecting the circuit and thus turning the computer back on or there is something wrong with your PSU that is doing the same thing. If you can, borrow a PSU and try it out and see if the problem is replicated, if not then there ya go. Also you might want to try a complete wipe of your drive, and destructive reinstall (remember to back EVERYTHING necessary up). This could alleviate the problem if it is some configuration or corrupted file in windows. Also when doing this make sure that your internet is disconnected until you get all your anti virus/spyware stuff back up and running thus alleviating any bad stuff getting in.

alrite thx! but the really main problem is not my computer turning off and then turn back on but my computer lag on my windows 2000 pro. i had a topic on hardforum but nobody got me anyhelp but if you want to help me out, you guys can go here and check out this thread: LINK to BBR

First off, does it only happen if you in windows

By that i mean if u turn it off while its posting does it turn back on or only when shutting down from windows?

Things to check

Wake on lan (in bios)

Make sure your reset/power button arent stuck

unplug the front panel connectors, and turn on the computer by "jump starting" or shorting it ... basically touch the two pins the front panel power switch connector goes on with a metal device, like ur keys.

Try taking out PCI devices and other components best way to do this is as follows:

Remove all PCI devices, turn on computers, load into windows, shut down see if problem still exists.

Remove optical drives, floppy, zip, tape.

if problem still exists, remove hard drive

btw, by remove i mean unplug

i have the same problem on my nforce4 board. but i never turn my computer off, only when i get a new part or mod somthing, which is like maybe once every 6mo, and in that case right as the computer turns off i switch the power off in the back of the psu so it cant start back up.

TIMEZONE said:
Yes, I know its under Power Mangement Setup but I still cannot find "WAKE ON EVENT" or something with "WAKE"....please help!? Screenshots would help...thx! :)

Hmm, I don't know how to get a screen shot of screen when you are actually in the BIOS setup. It could just be the power button on the front of the case. Power down and disconnect the power buttons cable to the motherboard. If you want you could connect the reset switch to the motherboards power button header. The power switch and reset switch are identical in operation. They are both monetary contact switches that only make contact when depressed.

Greetings, I just wanted to add a bit of information to this. I stumbled on this thread through the search feature because the exact same thing was happening to my girlfriend's computer. I'd shut it down, it'd shut down and then click immediately back on. Never saw any kind of error message or heard any scary-sounding beeps or anything. I did a lot of hunting around forums for help and followed every suggestion from checking the button connections to the case...disabling LAN wake / etc, but nothing helped.

Someone I believe in this thread said something about taking out PCI devices. Well, there's a wireless LAN card that I left in but disabled in windows (she used wireless before but has DSL now).

Anyway, all I did was remove that one card and the problem seems to be completely gone. I've done 3 test-runs tonight and it seems fine. Hope this helps.

I had this happen to me last year on an Abit board. The problem was my router was acting funny. After I reset the router, the computer no longer turned on by itself anymore.

I agree with checking on the power options to make sure wake on whatever is not enabled.

I've had this happen with an Intel board before. Despite having the BIOS options set correctly, this behavior still continued. I ended up having to flash the BIOS back a revision, and the problem was solved. A simple e-mail from their support page returned this exact answer to me. You could try filling out the e-mail form and seeing what they have to say.

Back