computer locks up everytime. anyone have a clue what might be wrong?

ChaseJ86

Limp Gawd
(Computer in signature)
I decided the other day to clean out my computer and rid it of the dust mites. When I plugged everything back in, the computer freezes. It mostly freezes at the MSI logo splash screen, but sometimes makes it to the "detecting raid", and windows xp splash screen before locking up. It even freezes while in the bios. I've tried everything...re-seating everything, messing with memory configs, unplugging everything excpet for keyboard mouse and vid card(no hdd's), monitored psu with volt meter... I tried to flash the bios but it freezes before I get a chance to. I'm thinking bad mobo or cpu, what do you think?

Random thoughts at 3:30 am:

-Er, why did you unplug things just to blow the dust out?

-How did you "clean out the dust mites"? did you use a vaccum? they build up static charge and can toast things.

-Did you ground yourself correctly during the entire process, both when cleaning and troubleshooting the problems?

-I dont see 'cleared the cmos' under your troubleshooting list.

-I dont see 'set all cmos settings conservatively after clearing cmos' in your list, either

-Is the northbrige/gpu/etc fans plugged in and running correctly?

-did you by chance knock the any of the heatsinks (edit to add: or waterblocks) off kilter poking around in there?

(I cant see your config in the message edit screen so these two might not apply: )
-Did you remember to re-plug in the motherboard and/or video card's secondary power connector(s)?

-AGP slots are extremely sensitve to 100% straight card insertion. Being off either perpindicular sideways or crooked lenghtwise into the slot like .1% in any direction can make things extremely wonky.

(finally, slightly possible but not probable: )
-Is there a chance there are any extra motherboard standoffs left in the wrong spots and that now that you've poked about and re-done everything something is shorting that did not before.
-alternately: random sheet metal either due to odd case design or slight damage can short out the motherboard and now that things have been shifted...

----------------

Finally, if you can, swap the powersupply, ram and vid card into a known good system and/or swap known good parts into your system as needed to narrow down and find the problem.

Good luck.

Sorry, forgot to mention that I tried to clear the c-mos. reason for cleaning out the dust mites is becuase my radiator gets build ups of dust and causes the temp to rise and since i was cleaning that, I thought I might used compressed canned air to clean everything else. I'm in the process of swapping out the psu into my brothers computer to test that. thanx for your input.

Hey, this is also happening to my HTPC rig that I hardly use. It was working fine and one day it just froze up. I managed to reinstall Windows since it needed a fresh install anyways and it installed fine. But once it restarted, it was basically doing the same thing. Freezing up at bios, splash screen, windows desktop, basically same issues that you are having.

I replaced the PSU, Video Card, Memory, and that was when I stopped and set it aside, lol.

We are facing the same issue, so hopefully we can both figure this out. I will probably work on it again tomorrow.

I am thinking that the motherboard died on mine tho.

Back