Computer keeps turning on by itself even though i have wake on lan diabled

Kato1144

Limp Gawd
almost every time my brother sit down at his computer and turn it on mine will turn it's self on too, I have wake on lan disabled in the UEFI the whole time so i'm stumped on what is happening any thoughts on what it could be?

BTW my keyboard and mouse is not touching my brothers desk so he is not bumping them or touching them

Also I'm using F6g BIOS Rev

Are you sure he is not just messing with you? ;) Also, have you tried unplugging your network cable and see what happens? Do you mean off and in OFF or sleep?

I'm going to assume you're running Windows. Go to the command prompt and enter:

powercfg /lastwake

This will give you an idea of what caused the computer to wake up.

Edit: I forgot to mention, do this after your computer has turned on "randomly"

I had this problem with my Gigabyte board. Intel platform and all, but same issue... The Wake On LAN setting was off but it kept happening anyway. I fixed it be reseting the BIOS to defaults, rebooting, then I went back into the BIOS and put my adjusted settings back in. Doesn't make any sense, but worked for me.

Last edited:
I had this problem with my Gigabyte board. Intel platform and all, but same issue... The Wake On LAN setting was off but it kept happening anyway. I fixed it be reseting the BIOS to defaults, rebooting, then I went back into the BIOS and put my adjust settings back in. Doesn't make any sense, but worked for me.
I've noticed that too. Have to reload defaults before a setting held.

Thanks everyone for the solid advice, I will have to do that, reset to defaults then disable wake on lan and if it happens again i will use the /lastwake command

Sometimes Steam or file sharing programs can wake your PC too, make sure you exit out of them before you put your PC into sleep mode.

I have one computer that insists on turning itself on by itself. It could be off for days, and then it's on. Maybe it has become aware?

In any case, I just leave it in sleep mode now, which seems to work.

I never turn off my water heater and I use it a lot less than my PC so why turn the PC off???!!! /s

Disable the onboard LAN and use a PCIe or USB Ethernet adaptor and see if that stops it.

I never turn off my water heater and I use it a lot less than my PC so why turn the PC off???!!! /s

Disable the onboard LAN and use a PCIe or USB Ethernet adaptor and see if that stops it.
I never turn mine off, except vacations, nor ever use sleep functions.

hmm finally had the computer turn on by its self again with out crashing, did the powercfg /lastwake in CMD and:
rsfdrt.PNG

I also did the reset to default in the EEFI and disabled wake on lan right away, has not helped and I also flashed to the latest REV and tried again with out luck.

This is not happening from a sleep state but it is turning on for being right off, no keyboard and mouse is being touched either and they are being put away so no one can accidentally touch them when im not using the PC, I'm starting to think there is something wrong with my MOBD

Have you tried unplugging just the front panel switches just in case they are causing it?

it's not happening randomly, only when a computer on the same network turn on mine decided it's time to turn on too, i try disconnecting the power switch down the road cant do it right now

Doesn't happen when onboard LAN disabled in bios. I would disable and try a network card or usb adapter for the network, wireless or other., at least to troubleshoot.

I had a supermicro board with this problem. I had to turn if off in BIOS AND in the Intel driver config in windows.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back