• #2: AAA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • #3 C

• #4 D

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi. My name is Chase and I am twelve years old. I came here to see if I could get an old computer fan from a Windows 97\98 computer. Here are the specifications:
DC 12V
DC 0.14A

I was wondering how many double or triple A's it would take to power it up to cool down my computer. I will need this because my computer gets pretty hot when I play MineCraft and I need to cool it without having to point the Tower Fan towards it and having to wear a jacket. Also, I am not allowed to use anything that can hook up the the wall. Please reply and help me! I am also building it out of cardboard and putting it under my computer and I hope that will work!

Thanks for reading and Helping!

Any computer fan you get is going to have a small 2, 3, or 4 pin connector on its cable. This plugs in to the motherboard of the computer. You can also get an adapter to make it a 4 pin "molex" plug that can hook up to your computer's power supply if you do not have any open "fan headers" on the motherboard. Since the power supply plugs in to the wall, maybe ask your dad for help?

If this is just a fan you found that you intend to use with the computer, it may not work. Still possible, though.

You do not want to use batteries -- you will go through a lot of them and they will get expensive very fast.

Any computer fan you get is going to have a small 2, 3, or 4 pin connector on its cable. This plugs in to the motherboard of the computer. You can also get an adapter to make it a 4 pin "molex" plug that can hook up to your computer's power supply if you do not have any open "fan headers" on the motherboard. Since the power supply plugs in to the wall, maybe ask your dad for help?

If this is just a fan you found that you intend to use with the computer, it may not work. Still possible, though.

You do not want to use batteries -- you will go through a lot of them and they will get expensive very fast.

hey, I wanted to say that I have a laptop but thanks :)
And I have a LOT of rechargables ;)

If you have a laptop what you probably want to do is get one of those cooling pads with fans built in that hook up via USB.

It sounds like that is what you're trying to do here though, kind of build your own?

If you have a laptop what you probably want to do is get one of those cooling pads with fans built in that hook up via USB.

It sounds like that is what you're trying to do here though, kind of build your own?
I am building my own, and I did not work at the flea market today so I missed out on $30 :\
I work at a fruit stand and he did not open today.
Also, I am trying to occupy my time. ;)

Saw your video.

12v fan, 1.5v (more like 1.45v since it's rechargable) battery assuming it's charged. You need to run quite a few in series. Since it's a 12v fan, you need 8. 1.5v per battery, 1.5x8=12. Ideally you'd want 16, two stacks/series of 8 in parallel. This would give you more amp hours (same voltage, more capacity) and let the fan run longer between charges.

If "=" is a single AA battery, and other shapes ( "|" "-" "/" "\" ) are connecting wires, with (+) and (-) being where you want to connect the fan wires....

Code:
(-) ----|--========--|---- (+)
        \--========--/

Something like that.

I've run 12V case fans off of basic 7.5V and 9V power adapters. They just ran at slower speeds than when I powered them from higher voltage adapters. I'd guess you might be able to get away with running your fans from 9V, so 6 in series. I'd go with AA over AAA, but if you have C or D cell rechargeables, I'd use those if possible. Assuming they're not just a AA in an adapter sleeve to make it the size of a C or D cell, they'll give you more time between charges. I wouldn't waste non-rechargeable C or D cells, though.

Back