Computer got unplugged, now ntoskrnl is missing or corrupt..

Nobi125

[H]ard|Gawd
My surge protector came unplugged and now when I try to start my computer I get a Blue Screen saying something about an unmountable volume (I can't read too much of it since it dissapears so fast).

After it tried to boot 5 or so times on the screen where it tells you that Windows failed to boot, it said that the ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt.

I only have access to a Windows XP Pro disc (I have Home Edition Installed) at the moment and tried to do a repair install, but it says that "The Partition is either too full, damaged, not formatted or formatted with an incompatable file system."

What am I supposed to do?

Is there anyway to reinstall the kernl file from the Recovery Console (which I have no idea how to use)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I found this site with some things to try http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000646.htm

I tried to have it rebuild the boot.ini but it was unabled to find a Windows Installation.

I'm running Chkdsk /r in the recovery console now but it's going very slowly (1% every five minutes or so). Gonna let it run overnight.

Hello Nobi125

when you have some IMPORTANT, UNSAVED Data on your Boot Disk - then i suggest FIRST OF ALL to REPLICATE your Boot Disk somewhere else - BEFORE ANY TRIALS to chkdsk, repair partition tables etc. etc.

You are talking about a situation, where a electrical shock down to your disk is possible. So your disk could be damaged. When doing OTHER things then just REPLICATING, your disk could be more and more un-readable - also for such technical replication.

Configure your disk NOW in such a manner, that he is NOT ANY MORE the boot disk - until the situation is under control again.

When yo do NOT know what Tool / Product to use for such a replication task, then tell it here - so others or myself can help you what to use.

Personally i had positive results with GetDataBack from here: http://www.runtime.org/faq_gdb.htm , it's a professional tool, and it's a professional price ($79 i think). Check if the Tool is for FAT or NTFS, check if it's OK for your Operating System.

simmons

I guess the checkdisk /r thing worked.

I was just able to get into Windows.

This thread can now be closed.

Back