Computer freezing randomly for past year

Kelv

Limp Gawd
I made this thread last year: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1637828.

I've run memtest86+ for almost 24 hours without a problem over the course of several nights.

When the problem occurs the screen freezes until the display decides to turn off. All the connected devices stop receiving power except the headphones often buzz depending on how loud the windows 7 volume level is at. This can be painful so I try to keep it lower than 30/100. Nothing really shows up in the event viewer except for a kernel-power error with the time of when I turn the computer back on.

Half the time it freezes while I am not at the computer. I've re-installed windows 7 2-3 times and nothing changed. It isn't dependent on the video card i had the same problem with a 4850.

These are the specs which haven't changed except for the addition of an sdd.

SSF -- Intel i5 2400 @ 3.10 Ghz | Asus H61 MITX | 8gb Corsair DDR3 1600 @ 1333 | Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC | 1TB Samsung 7200 | SG07

It is hard to test because it often can go up to a week without an issue or other times it can happen twice within an hour. One of the most interesting cases was when I went to netflix instant last winter in chrome and as their home page with all the movie covers loaded, it caused the computer to freeze. After restarting and going straight back to that page, the computer froze again.

Thank you for reading. Hopefully someone has an idea of what I can test.

That sounds like a RAM issue for sure. I had similar problems with mine till I swapped out the RAM, then it ran like a breeze.

Try a different motherboard or HDD.
The motherboard sounds likely. Is there any stress test that can test for this problem?
The hard drive sounds unlikely because I had the problem when I was running off the ssd. I've always had the hdd connected so it still is possible. Also is it possible that the power supply could be the problem?

That sounds like a RAM issue for sure. I had similar problems with mine till I swapped out the RAM, then it ran like a breeze.
Though I tested it with memtest86. I'm trying out prime95 right now.

The motherboard sounds likely. Is there any stress test that can test for this problem?
None AFAIK.
Also is it possible that the power supply could be the problem?
It is possible that the PSU could be the problem. However you really wouldn't know until you've tried a different PSU.

I'm going to upgrade my brothers rig to lga 1155 so I'll try swapping parts. It is such a pain to test since it's so random it may take me all summer before I am sure.

A faulty power supply can cause many problems. To help figure out what you need for a PSU go here
and this site is great for PSU knowledge; the author also does extensive testing. For example he did a review on a PSU I had that turned out to be a lemon and caused nothing but unspecific problems for my computer.

Back