Computer freezing,crashing after ssd install

455olds

Gawd
I upgraded from a Crucial SSD C300 256GB to a Samsung 850 EVO 500GB. The computer is randomly locking up now. When it locks it is unresponsive,I have to hold power switch and force shutdown or it will eventually reboot on its own and boot to wrong hard drive. (or if i disconnect 2nd drive the evo will disappear in bios).
The booting from wrong drive/disappearing problem only happens after windows crash.

I don't think windows is the problem. I installed windows 10 twice and did a fresh windows 8 install. Same problem.
This is on the computer in my sig. Here is the original thread about the upgrade
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1871107&highlight=
I am at the point where I think I might just try another brand ssd and use the evo in a new build that I am doing. I have been messing around with this for weeks.

Do you have the ssd installed in an Intel port? I have seen this behavior with my 1TB 850 pro and the marvell SATA III controller. As a result I switched back to the Intel SATA II port on my X58 and the system has been stable for ~10 months.

I used a marvel controller with a crucial ssd without problems in windows 7. Maybe they need a driver update, I did notice marvel is not great at updates.

Once upon a time I used an Intel SSD drive and had MAJOR issues with it. i.e. blue screen of death constantly. I changed to a Samsung Pro and never had the issue. I'd change out the SSD, very possible it is defective or simply not compatible.

I ordered the Mushkin drive.
Ill see how the evo works in the other new computer I am building. Ill give it some time to see if they are both stable and report back.

What are your system specs? It could just be a defective drive. I literally just got a Western Digital drive in from my RMA after a Blue i got three weeks old was dead. Drive wouldn't format and would slow any system you would connect it to. In my opinion, Mushkin does not make very good solid state drives, but it may work for you for years there's no way to know. I love the older Crucial M4 drives, not big on their NAND drives. Samsung makes very good NAND drives, as well as Intel. I've been using a Sandisk Ultra Plus for almost 2 years now and it has been great. Good luck with swap!

SSDs, unlike HDDs, have firmware updates, are you using the latest one ? Samsung has had plenty of problems, especially with the EVO.

Check for motherboard firmware updates.

What troubleshooting have you done?

@ Ryankirsch13 the system specs are in my sig. I didn't update sig yet from old ssd.

For troubleshooting I switched cables/sata positions with other hard drive, reformatted windows (tried 10 and win 8), I also tried a couple ssd diagnostic programs and did some Google searching. I read something about having bios set to ide solved the problem but mine is already set to ide.
My firmware version is EMT01B6Q. I cant find a firmware update for 850 evo. There is updates for the 840 evo.

It does look like a faulty drive.

I think your right. I installed the new ssd and it has been stable for a couple days. I contacted Samsung and they accepted the RMA. It sounds like they may also pay the postage, said they are going to email me a label.

Back