Computer freezes. Insert boot disk?? restart-> no problem. ???

johnnq

[H]ard|Gawd
Upon a normal restart, i noticed the computer completely froze (coudln't move mouse). So I had to manually restart. I noticed that the BIOS didn't recognize my ipod as a usb device. Moments later, it wanted me to "insert system disk and press enter." Pressing enter did nothing so i restarted....and the problem was gone. This has happened twice. Could it be hardware or software? Firmware is latest version on my mobo. How do i begin to diagnose this problem?

asus a8n-sli
athlon 64 dual core
samsung spinpoint 500gb
win xp 32

I would start by looking at your cables. Check and make sure your HD is plugged in firmly to both power and to the motherboard. If you have another cable, give it a shot.

How's your power supply? If it isn't pushing enough juice, you could "loose" your components, which could explain your hard drive and the ipod disappearing.

However, it could also be motherboard problems....

Cables seem fine. The case is very dusty, I haven't cleaned it in months. I'm on a seasonic 430 so that's probably not the problem...looks like mobo??

I wouldn't rule out your PSU just because of the brands. What do the voltages look like? Are they what you'd expect? Are they fluctuating a lot?

Sounds stupid, but how's your CMOS battery? Weird things can happen when that guy goes bad.

voltages look ok

vcore 1.31: 1.28-1.31

3.3: 3.10-3.12...

5: 4.78 -4.81

12: 11.39-11.46

i have no idea about cmos battery. i guess it coudln't hurt to change it.

hmm it now froze during the windows load screen. ran a quick checkdisk and it gave an error on the second test and immediately rebooted....but i had no bad sectors or anything on my new samsung drive for about a year. :(

Back