Computer craps itself when using onboard NIC.

ikjadoon

Limp Gawd
Hi! The specifications of my system are in my signature, but this is the basic spiel:

C2D E6600 @ 3.5GHz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS P5N-E SLI (custom bios based on 0401 revision)
8800GTS 640MB
Enermax 620W

I'm on the GeForce 182.50's and the nForce 15.25s. The GPU is slightly outdated, but I had the same problem with 185.85, the newest one.

The issue: I moved my computer downstairs to the basement because the air-conditioning was broken. When I came down there, I could not get internet access whatever I tried using my onboard NIC. Soon, I found out that my IP was the dreaded 169.254.xxx.xxx, the internal IP. I've tried disabling IPv6, resetting Winsock, enabling/disabling the onboard NIC, uninstalling/reinstalling nVidia drivers, using Windows generic drivers, Safe Mode, release/renew, nothing works!

This is what I get when I release or renew through IPCONFIG:

ipconfigrelease.jpg

It literally just sits there, that cursor blinking. Sometimes it'll mix things up and tell me that it "can't find the file specified", whatever that can mean.

Also, whenever I have my Ethernet into the onboard NIC, the computer because very slow. Network Connections takes a good minute to open; enabling/disabling anything takes another minute. I'm talking serious minutes, over 60 seconds of it sitting there at "Enabling". I also cannot shut down properly if the Ethernet cable has recently been inside the onboard NIC. It will stay on "Shutting Down" for about 10 solid minutes (I timed it) and then I get a blue screen: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

Yeah. It sucks. Luckily, I had this problem before. All I had to do was insert a PCI NIC (which ALWAYS works; meaning it never gets the 169.254.xxx.xxx IP), plug my cable in, get internet, shut down, remove PCI NIC, and plug into onboard NIC and I was online again.

That doesn't work anymore. Now, I'm stuck on my PCI NIC. What to do?!

~Ibrahim~

P.S. Also, Device Manager lists my onboard NIC as a 10/100, but it is definitely a 1Gbps NIC. Not sure if it was always like that.

P.P.S. The activity lights on the onboard NIC seem messed up. They are always in the "connected" state. They don't turn off for some reason.

P.P.P.S. I contacted my OEM (now Velocity Micro) and they said the P5N-E's exposed southbridge is prone to overheating and it is slowly killing itself right now....starting with the Ethernet port, lol. Possible? It only started happening after I moved my PC downstairs.

P.P.P.P.S I have absolutely NO slow downs or trouble shutting down with the PCI NIC. All problems are related to the onboard NIC.

This might be of zero use but here are some thoughts:
1. Have you tried using any other OS? Try an XP LiveCD or Ubuntu and see how your onboard NIC performs.
2. See if your motherboard has speed settings for the NIC in the BIOS - perhaps under advanced chipset features or some other nonsense.
3. Physically touch your southbridge on your mobo while experiencing the problem, see how hot it is. If it's flaming hot, smell it. Yes, smell it - if you smell something funky or just downright strange, it could be heating the plastic/silicon around it.
4. This sounds like a driver issue (Vista + NIC Blue Screen almost undoubtedly places it in that category) so try using an older driver (I'm assuming you've used the latest version with no success).
5. You can try looking at the advanced properties of the device in device manager and looking to see if its transfer mode is set to Auto or 10/100 Full - if there's an options for 10/100/1000 Full - set it to that.

I haven't tried another OS. I may attempt LiveCD in the coming days.

I checked the BIOS: only an on/off switch.

I'll give it a smell, lol. :)

I will try an older driver, I'm sure I can find one somewhere. :)

I only saw 100Mb Full Duplex, so I just set it to that.

Will hopefully update with some answers soon! Thanks for the reply. :D

~Ibrahim~

Hehe, could t resist... shat itself... LOL, i hope i'm not the only one that sees humor in this

The past-tense of swearing is still swearing, so lets avoid that in thread titles in the future, okay? ;)

Oh, sorry. I actually mean it like as the combination of a crap and a fart. Isn't that called a shat?

~Ibrahim~

P.S. Ah, wait, that's shart, according to Urban Dictionary. My bad. Sorry...Either way: I'm still having the problem, if anyone knows anything. I'm kind of open to all right now because I feel like I've tried every play in the book.

EDIT: Tried a system restore. Still same issue! UGH!

I tried Knoppix. Got this error when using onboard.

Screenshot.png

Worked perfectly with PCI NIC, though. Computer, however, didn't slow down like Vista did and I had no troubles shutting down.

Yeah, I touched it when it was on the onboard NIC and the PCI NIC. It was ridiculously hot both times; I could barely touch for more than a second. I couldn't smell, it however, because my graphic card is almost right on it. But, dang, that thing was burning. I can only check the "motherboard" temp: it is about 43C in the BIOS. There is no "chipset" temperature.

I'm going to look up an old driver set, we'll see! I'm not hopeful, though, especially with Knoppix acting like that. Could it be a router issue? However, I had the problem both when it was in the router and when it was in the modem. :(

~Ibrahim~

Oh, sorry. I actually mean it like as the combination of a crap and a fart. Isn't that called a shat?

~Ibrahim~

P.S. Ah, wait, that's shart, according to Urban Dictionary. My bad. Sorry...Either way: I'm still having the problem, if anyone knows anything. I'm kind of open to all right now because I feel like I've tried every play in the book.

EDIT: Tried a system restore. Still same issue! UGH!

I believe you are thinking of a shart.

That knoppix error looks like it happened because you clicked on a protocol type not supported by default in knoppix. I strongly suggest using Ubuntu - its a quick download and will let us know what's going on for sure. (BTW linux people, i love knoppix too.)

So, like, I just download the regular Ubuntu? Is that LiveCD or a full install?

~Ibrahim~

Aight, so I downloaded and burned Ubuntu onto a DVD.

Same problem, man: I plug it in, it has the spinning green things, and then it says I'm disconnected. It doesn't even attempt to connect again. It just says I'm disconnected.

It just doesn't make sense...I want to say software so bad (I mean, it is getting an IP, just the wrong one!), but now I'm not so sure..

~Ibrahim~

sounds like it's dead.

if it always receives a 169 address in Windows.

I had a power flicker kill one of the 2 onboard NICs on my computer. Except that that NIC doesn't even light up with it's connected to a switch or router.

I have seen similar happen before, though, and it turns out the NIC is dead.

Especially if it happens off a LiveCD also.

Whoa, a power flicker?!

I had one of those just last week, actually a few! This would've been the first time I unplugged/replugged it in since that.

That would make definite sense.

Yeah, I think I'll just stick with the PCI NIC. I'd rather not have to RMA the motherboard, redo the overclock, wiring, etc.

Thanks for all the help guys; I think I'll be using Linux more often for trouble-shooting! :)

~Ibrahim~

Back