Computer continues to reboot after explorer.exe/winlogon.exe crash

evilmonkey

Limp Gawd
I'm in quite a pickle here it seems. I was going to check the size of a file on my hard drive and all of a sudden explorer.exe crashes. So I'm like...great. About 5 seconds later I get another error message saying that winlogon.exe has crashed, even greater. So next I get a blue screen with some error code like ax0000, very short and not one that I had seen before. Now my system will load just up until it comes to the logon screen. Right before that it will persistently reboot itself. Any help would be appreciated.

I don't know what type of information you may need so I'll give you what the important stuff might be:

p4 2.53
1gb pc2100 samsung
120gb maxtor 6y120
windows 2000 pro SP4

-Evan

press f8, try last known good configuration, if that doesnt work, boot again f8 should be an option to disable auto reset, so you can get more info on the specific bsod

I tried F8 and only got a few different boot options, nothing saying anything like "don't reboot", I even tried debugging mode and still had the same problem. I've decided to throw the drive in another machine to backup stuff and then just format it. Hopefully the drive itself isn't the problem and it's just some messed up file(s). Thanks for your help.

orvil01 said:
press f8, try last known good configuration, if that doesnt work, boot again f8 should be an option to disable auto reset, so you can get more info on the specific bsod

IIRC, the option to disable Automatic Restart upon a STOP error is only available on WinXP SP2 as a boot option. It of course can be changed in the system failure portion of system properties if the box can boot to the desktop on any SP of 2K or XP

DougLite said:
IIRC, the option to disable Automatic Restart upon a STOP error is only available on WinXP SP2 as a boot option. It of course can be changed in the system failure portion of system properties if the box can boot to the desktop on any SP of 2K or XP

i was wondering about that......because i never rembered it being there and then one day it just showed up. If you cant get it in safe mode, best bet is A: repair install if you need the data B: format and hopefor the best.

Back