Computer booting to GRUB until power cord is pulled

I have an Asus z87-pro board that goes through the boot sequence of looking at the Intel Pro networking cards (looking for network boot connections) and then directly to a GRUB prompt and it says that some device isn't available - with some long alpha-numeric ID for the device. I don't even get to the bios post screen where I can enter the bios - before this GRUB prompt. No matter what I do, power off the PSU (the switch on the back) or the reset and the power off button on the Mobo - none of that "resets" the correct boot order. I have to unplug the power cord for 10 seconds - then the lights on the mobo go out and I plug it back in and all is normal.

I've noticed this on some other system in the past, but this one seems to be more prone to it for some reason.

I'm not even sure what to search for to study this issue.

I am running Linux and I think this issue has been more prone to happen on linux systems but I find it odd that the OS would mess up the boot order BEFORE the mobo bios has a chance to run.

This mobo also seems to loose the hard drive boot priority and the drive I have the OS on keeps getting "lost" or bumped out of the #1 position. This has happened on other systems as well and again, it seemed to happen on Linux systems.

Anyone have any insight into what may be happening here? Any suggestions are appreciated!

You might want to have a Moderator move this thread to the Linux/BSD/Free Systems Sub-Forum.

Have you tried booting to a Linux Live/CD or USB thumbdrive and repair GRUB? (Try holding down the appropriate Function Key as soon as you power up the computer. I don't know which key ASUS uses.) Have you replaced the motherboard battery?

I'm a Linux neophyte so the Linux/BSD/Free system Sub-Forum folks will be better able to walk you through the GRUB repair process.

Hope this helps.

Back